This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

What are my options when Dish is in a contract dispute with a local affiliate?

PJW99

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 22, 2007
I am a long-time Dish Network sub living in the Spokane, Washington DMA. Last night I was watching one of my favorite ABC shows(Shark Tank) and noticed a message coming up saying that Dish was in a contract dispute with the local affiliate here(KXLY). It said that the station could be off the air in a week, if KXLY and Dish could not come to an agreement.

I receive CBS, FOX, and NBC through All American Direct, but have always been denied whenever I put in a waiver reuest for ABC. I live a few hours away from the affiliate, and dont think I would be able to pick it up through an over-the-air antenna.

Other then "moving" do I have any other options if Dish pulls KXLY off the air? I really dont want to have to resign myself to watching everything online unless I absolutely have to.

Don't know the specifics of your issue, but about the waiver for the ABC station. Where I live I can't receive any of the local stations. There was one of them (I think it was ABC also) always refused the waiver. So, one day I walked in and asked to see the station manager. While I was discussing the issue with the receptionist I mentioned that I would pay for all the antenna cost and installation if they would come out and set up so I could get their station, no matter how much the hardware cost. One of the station "tech" guys was listening to my local description and suggestions. When the manger walked out, the tech guys told him: just approve the waiver, there's no way he can get reception. I now get ABC through All American Direct with all the others.

Just food for thought.

Are you sure now that AAD uses the new digital reception charts you can't get your ABC from them? If you are literally hours away from the affiliate tower, you almost have to be eligible without a waiver. As soon as they started using them I got the one I needed a waiver for, CBS.

If you are out of contract you could switch providers, but that seems drastic to me anytime someone threatens that. (You didn't) Just hope it follows most all local disputes and gets resolved soon.

I called them and they said I still had to do a waiver. It would take alot to get me to switch from Dish to another provider. I like getting to watch progrmming on CBS, FOX, and NBC 3 hours early. I know with the new rule changes for Distant Networks, I wouldnt be able to get the major networks east coast feeds through DirecTV or cable.

Depending where you live you might be able to pull KXLY. Most of the transmission towers for Spokane are located just to the south of Spokane on a ridge top, but KXLY is located by Mt. Spokane which is North instead of South like the rest.

Depending where you live you might be able to pull KXLY. Most of the transmission towers for Spokane are located just to the south of Spokane on a ridge top, but KXLY is located by Mt. Spokane which is North instead of South like the rest.

I dont think that I can. I live in Moscow,ID and I have a lot of trees to the North of me. I also sit in a bit of a gulch.

Your too far from the tower without using an outdoor antenna (possibly needing to be 30ft off the ground)and even then I'm not sure you would receive. If your south of Moscow at all you would be south of what they consder to be the area that should receive the signal from that tower. The trees wouldn't change that. Even though they have a over the air translator down in that area about you should be able to get them to give you permission to get distant network in your case.
I dont think that I can. I live in Moscow,ID and I have a lot of trees to the North of me. I also sit in a bit of a gulch.

Write your local station and tell them that you are starting a boycott of all the buisnesses that advertize with them. You will recruit others and make sure the word gets out. And that you will notify the individual buisnesses of same. Inform the station that you will continue to do this until they agree to a resonable cost to carry their programming.
If enough people would do this, the problem would get resolved quickly.

I had a feeling when I clicked on this that you were either from Spokane or North Idaho, im in Post Falls Idaho. These things seem to always work out, I hear this monthly either between KREM, KXLY or KHQ about either DirecTV or Dish Network no longer offering one of the local Channels. I wouldnt be too concerned. They aways seem to reach an agreement. A friend and I were talkig about this yesterday, he is a Dish Network installer and his exact quote regarding KXLY was this.... "If its not dish or direct fighting local channels it's the local channels making tv too expensive so I feel this will work out in our favor as always" Where I live I cant seem to get any over the air channels, I pay 24.99 for 200+ channels, I will be damned if I would switch to DirecTV which is 2x the price or Time Warner which would cost me over 100/month just to get KXLY back if we end up loosing it.

Now that KXLY is officially off the air, I am officially considering "moving" to a neighboring DMA. If I go ahead and do this, I would probably move to either Missoula, MT, Boise,ID or Seattle,WA. Do any(or all) of those DMA's share the same spotbeam as the Spokane,WA DMA?

You'll have to look at the spot beam maps on The List! for 129w.

Boise (Spot 11 Transponder 4)
Missoula (Spot 11, Transponder 6)
Seattle

Seattle's is too far west I think.

To see if you get a good enough signal, go to your Point Dish screen, Menu 611, set the sat to 129w, and the transponder to what is shown on The List! (see link at top of page) for the transponder number. If the bar is green, locked, and of sufficient strength you are good to go. Both Missoula and Boise are on the same spot so if you get one, you can also get the other. Check The List! to make sure they have what you're looking for before you move. You may be better off watching on demand over the internet or other internet source.

Last edited:
Why not consider moving to the Eastern Arc and try and pick one of the CONUS Locals Rochester, Pittsburgh... there are a few of them

Why not consider moving to the Eastern Arc and try and pick one of the CONUS Locals Rochester, Pittsburgh... there are a few of them
Not everyone is as free of rain fade as you are. Also the Eastern Arc signals you have posted may not satisfy others.

I thought if the station denies the waiver because, in their opinion, you can receive them OTA, you can make them prove it can be picked up ? If they can't, you get the waiver.

Also, don't the FCC documents actually show the "projected" coverage area ? If you're within or on the fringe of what they document as being covered, that's one thing (you may be in this category). If you're well outside their coverage area, it's hard for them to claim you can pick them up.

Not everyone is as free of rain fade as you are. Also the Eastern Arc signals you have posted may not satisfy others.

On the lowest transponder I get 29-30 on 72. On TP 16 I get about 36. On a very cloudy day it goes down to 27 on TP6. I've never yet seen it go to below 27. By the way you can get just about perfect reception with 15 as well. I had the 1000.2 and TP 6 would range in the 15's to 20's and I had an issue on a extremely cloudy day which prompted me to upgrade the dish to 1000.4. In another event if I had to stay with dish I had to switch to an Eastern Arc on the west coast due to Internationals.

My setup is a Vip922 and 2 dishes. 118, 61.5 (Average in 55's), 72 and 77 (Currently of no use).