what are my upgrade options?

flamtap

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2003
Cary, NC
Hi all,

I've had Dish Network for almost 4 years. I have a 622. It's still working fine, but I find that the more HD content there is, the closer we are to filling it up all the time. I know I could hook up an external drive, but I'm wondering what my options are if I want to upgrade. Here's what I'm paying now:

America's Top 250 $64.99
DVR Service $6.00
HD 250 Free $0.00
Service Plan (15/0) $6.00

I think I'm under some sort of commitment for the HD Free stuff. I don't know if I "own" my 622, but I probably don't.

I'm not very familiar with the currently available rcvrs. Are there any cheap upgrades for our primary rcvr? What if we want to add a 2nd HD receiver?(doesn't need to be a DVR if it can view programs stored on the main DVR)

Thanks for any information. I haven't been following Dish for a while and trying to catch up with the available options and promotions is overwhelming.

flamtap

Last edited:
You could probably add another 622/722 for $100 dollars and it would raise your bill $10 monthly.

NO! Another 622/722 would cost you an additional $17.00 per month and extend your commitment 2 years.. Since you are under no commitment, I would just add a 1T EHD.

You could swap out your 622 with a 722k. All that will do is give you a little larger hard drive. It's possible you can get the upgrade for free but you will be required to renew a 24 month commitment. If the receiver works fine I would just consider getting a larger hard drive.

Thanks for the information, everyone.

I looked at equipment more on Dish Network's site. I thought I remembered from a while ago that the max size for an external hard drive was 750GB. Is that true, or is there newer software now that can use 1TB or more?

Does Dish network have any receivers that can "share" DVR recordings to other receivers in the house? Can two DVRs (622/722) share recordings between them?

Can the 622 (or another receiver) drive two TV's via HDMI at the same time. I figure on the same channel I could use an HDMI splitter (or maybe not) or something but what about driving two HDMI TVs on separate tuners?

I want to have HD and DVR capability on two TVs (and probably 3 in a few years) but it would be really nice if they shared one central DVR instead of 3 separate. Is the sling functionality of the new 922 a way to make this work?

Thanks again for info everyone!

flamtap

I believe the 622/722/722k series can now support up to a 2TB EHD. The 211 can now use a 1TB EHD.

The caveat here is if you put all your eggs in one EHD, and it breaks, all is lost.

flamtap said:
Thanks for the information, everyone.

I looked at equipment more on Dish Network's site. I thought I remembered from a while ago that the max size for an external hard drive was 750GB. Is that true, or is there newer software now that can use 1TB or more?

Does Dish network have any receivers that can "share" DVR recordings to other receivers in the house? Can two DVRs (622/722) share recordings between them?

Can the 622 (or another receiver) drive two TV's via HDMI at the same time. I figure on the same channel I could use an HDMI splitter (or maybe not) or something but what about driving two HDMI TVs on separate tuners?

I want to have HD and DVR capability on two TVs (and probably 3 in a few years) but it would be really nice if they shared one central DVR instead of 3 separate. Is the sling functionality of the new 922 a way to make this work?

Thanks again for info everyone!

flamtap

Currently you can not share recordings between recievers. You can get an HDMI Splitter and share the TV1 HD output between 2 Tvs. You can not Drive 2 HDTVs on 2 seperate tuners. TV2 is SD only. The Sling on the 922 does not create a central DVR. If you want a Whole Home Central DVR, Take a look at DIRECTV.

You can drive two HDTVs, but both will be watching the same channel/recording. You would not need an HDMI splitter. Use compoment for your closest tv from the receiver and HDMI to the other one. Both would be able to access the DVR, but not independently. HD sling capability will be coming for the 622/722 via use of a new slingbox (built into 922) and slingcather.

You can dump your 622 and get two 211s. Pay the $40 one time fee and buy two ext hard drives (one for each 211). You then have two dvrs and no dvr fee. You only pay $7 for the 2nd 211.

Currently you can not share recordings between recievers.
But you can move external hard drives between HD DVRs. Since storage is what the OP was primarily concerned with, the DISH Network EHD is far and away the best solution.

It doesn't matter how many DIRECTV HD DVRs you get as with the death of each one, so goes all the recordings you ever made with it.

I like the 211 idea but probably need two tuners on one receiver.

I think that EHD is my best option right now. When we decide we really need HD for the 2nd TV, maybe Dish will have a better whole-house DVR solution at that point. (Or we'll "sling" it from the 1st TV to the 2nd)

We've been in a "watch it and delete" mode for so long (ever since our Dish 501 DVR ~10 years ago) that it will take a while to get used to the idea that we can store off movies that we won't have to erase.

Thanks again for all the tips,

flamtap

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)