What are the going rates for an existing customer to upgrade to a DVR?

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
So we are thinking that for mothers day we are going to get my grandmother a DVR as they have been talking about wanting one. They currently have Dish on the Basic Top 120 or whatever the cheap package is. They also have two tv's but they have one dual tuner receiver feeding both. They do have a HD television but they don't seem to care about HD too much. Does Dish offer any dual tuner non HD receivers? What is the going upgrade fee to upgrade to one of these? Also how much is it usually to upgrade to a HD DVR? We are trying to decide if we want to give them this. I've not been able to find anything online and I even logged into my account to see if it would tell me what it would cost for me to upgrade and didn't see anything about it. Not sure if it's because I already have a DVR or if it's because you have to call.

The 625 is Dual tuner non-HD. $6 DVR household fee. If they retire the present receiver{model un-known} the basic monthly 120 Pack will only reflect the DVR fee. If they go for the 722K, and purchase that receiver, then they won't be required to add $10 for HD chs. If they do a DIU up-grade with the 722K, Dish requires that the HD chs be added along with an up-graded dish, if they don't all ready have an HD dish. Their local dealer will answer questions about the DIU up-grade $$$$$'s. Or, call Dish direct.

I assumed the monthly fee would be the same as what I've been having to pay now. I just wondered what kind of price you had to pay to upgrade to the DVR receiver. I bought my 722 from Dish Store and I've had it quite a while so I'm not familiar with what kind of pricing Dish charges to just upgrade receivers now. They would be deactivating their old receiver if they got a DVR. We figured that we would pay the upgrade price for them then pay the first year of the DVR fee for them. However, we didn't know what the upgrade fee would be so was just looking for a ball park figure to see if that's what we want to do.

I assumed the monthly fee would be the same as what I've been having to pay now. I just wondered what kind of price you had to pay to upgrade to the DVR receiver. I bought my 722 from Dish Store and I've had it quite a while so I'm not familiar with what kind of pricing Dish charges to just upgrade receivers now. They would be deactivating their old receiver if they got a DVR. We figured that we would pay the upgrade price for them then pay the first year of the DVR fee for them. However, we didn't know what the upgrade fee would be so was just looking for a ball park figure to see if that's what we want to do.

Any Authorized Dish retailer can quote the cost by submitting a request on the Retailer Care Site using the Dish customer's account number and the last name, as spelled on the customer's statement. {The spelling of the last name on the acct may not be the correct spelling.} In order for the DIU to be activated, the customer will have to agree to a 24 month contract. Since the MSRP on the 625 has dropped, you might find it beneficial to purchase....unless the present receiver is leased. Then, to maintain the lease contract, the 625 would need to be traded up on the acct., returning the present receiver with free shipping box supplied by Dish.

If you think they'll actually use the DVR features, and it sounds like they will, this would be an excellent gift. They might do it for about $99, and a 2 year commitment. Don't waste your time and effort, though - get the ViP722K, even if it adds $10/month HD fee. That way, there won't be a forced upgrade in a few years. Of course, if you're in an EA area, they might put you in an HD DVR anyway, and not require an HD subscription. Just have you use it as an SD receiver only. But the 625 does not do MPEG-4, so they won't likely put it in an EA area. What is the zip code of the installation? We can determine if you are WA or EA.

We decided we are going to just talk about it tomorrow and see if that's a gift they really want since they will have to renew their contract. If it's something they do want then we will go ahead and call and find out more I guess.

I think they would really like a DVR and they have asked me about it a few times. I think it's just that they don't want to pay for it. That's why we thought it would make a great gift. I think they also would really enjoy actually getting HD channels but it's another one of those things I think they would rather just not pay the $10 a month for and they are happy with SD.