What are these guide icons?

crackinhedz

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Virginia
Anyone know what these annoying little play buttons are on the guide, and how do you turn them off?

image.jpg

Thanks!

That icon tells you that the program is available OnDemand. Click on the show and select OnDemand. No way to turn them off.

I don't think it is just on demand. I think it also is to find future viewings as well, so you can watch from the beginning.

I know about the popup but I was thinking it was a dual option. I just tested it, and you are correct. It is only VoD

Ok thanks guys, makes sense.

I just think they are confusing and an eye sore, especially when they're all over and not every program has it. Should be an optional guide feature, enable or disable. Just my $.02

Reactions: GaryPen
I just think they are confusing and an eye sore, especially when they're all over and not every program has it. Should be an optional guide feature, enable or disable.
They're new, so you're noticing them more. After a while, they'll just seem normal.... ;)

Also if you come across a program with one, that's already started, that you would like to view, you can do it from the beginning.

I have not seen one that cost anything yet. A lot on the EPIX, STARZ and Encore channels. Not saying there aren't any, there might be.

Can't believe people see something new and without knowing anything about it, hate it, want to get rid of it. CAN'T BE GOOD! NOT LIKE IT USE TO BE! Those little arrows are really obtrusive.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and Hall
If you see the arrow, it means that you can scroll forward and come to another airing of the same show.
I've had limited time to experiment with this, but I haven't seen this functionality yet. The pop-up for the new software said if you hit SELECT on one of these, it will show an indicator (lower right ?) and allow you to find upcoming showings (??).

Otherwise, if you hit the PLAY button on them, it takes you straight to the On-Demand page for that event and from there, you can "Watch" it (after it downloads/streams).

I've had limited time to experiment with this, but I haven't seen this functionality yet. The pop-up for the new software said if you hit SELECT on one of these, it will show an indicator (lower right ?) and allow you to find upcoming showings (??).

Otherwise, if you hit the PLAY button on them, it takes you straight to the On-Demand page for that event and from there, you can "Watch" it (after it downloads/streams).
As usual, dead on Hall

I think he meant that he'd rather they'd spent the time/money on better guide info. (Although I haven't seen anything particularly bad lately, but it used to be awful.)

Okay, figured out more...

If you hit SELECT on a program with the 'play'
icon, instead of defaulting to recording, it offers you record, record series (if applicable), info, and "Watch On Demand".

If you hit play, it goes straight to the on-demand page for that show.

The pop-up actually shows up AFTER you tube to a show and I presume only IF it's on later. It takes ~10 seconds to appear and basically does a search for you in the background and displays the result. This reminds me of a feature I saw at my in-laws with Time Warner (except TW is doing that cloud DVR type setup, I think).

I would add that, from the EPG, it is best to press the PLAY button on the remote, and not SELECT because if the show is currently airing, the channel will change. So the PLAY icon means PRESS the PLAY button for current or FUTURE events on the EPG. Pressing SELECT will take you to the same TIMER options that already exist.

Also, the PLAY icon is ONLY for that particular EPISODE, and does not include other episodes of that show that are also available on VOD.

It seems to be designed around the idea to provide alternative ways to watch that particular showing/episode and NOT a gateway to all episodes. A solution if you don't want to wait a few hours to see that showing: press the PLAY icon and see other ways to watch NOW, not later. Also, a solution to watching from the beginning a show you have tuned to already on progress: press the PLAY icon and be shown ways to watch from the beginning or press the select during the pop-up window that includes both VOD and later air times.

I know for certain that if one presses SELECT during the pop-up window, you are offered ways to watch the current program from the beginning: both air times later in the 9 days or VOD.

I thing pressing PLAY on FUTURE air times will take you to the VOD of that episode, not future air times, me thinks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)