What are Voom's subscriber numbers now?

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
They have had some promotions going on, getting some good reviews, adding more channels soon, whats the deal on their sub base?

I don't know what the numbers are but I'm sure it will significantly increase with the new offer. We'll know in a couple of months.

Interesting discussion with a Installs Inc. Technician today. I finally had the Voom box picked up today by Installs Inc. The technician was very knowledgeable about Voom and subscriber numbers as they pertain to his beat.He is in charge of Central Indiana which is the Indianapolis area and surrounding counties.

He said that the churn rate has definitely come to a slow pace and new installs are really picking up. He also stated since the $1 deal was announced the new install numbers took off and he now has 1800 waiting to be installed in his territory alone.

That is very encouraging to hear. He said the last number for total Voom active customers he saw just before the Christmas Holliday is 33K. I realize that is not a big number but I have noticed Voom is picking up the pace on advertising, like on Discovery channel.

The DVR according to the tech is coming in March. The total of 70 HD channels by March are with exisisting assets according to the tech and will not require the elliptical dish. He said the new dish will be used with the next satellite that has not launched yet.

I may jump back in with Voom in a couple of days for the channels I miss and will never see on Dish. I called today and the CSR said my account is still showing active until the equipment is returned to Voom.

Indy said:
The DVR according to the tech is coming in March. The total of 70 HD channels by March are with existing assets according to the tech and will not require the elliptical dish. He said the new dish will be used with the next satellite that has not launched yet.

At that point I knew you were talking to someone with as much info as a CSR, there is no way anyone will be able to see that bird without a bigger Dish, one at 61.5 and one at 72.5, too much distance between the two of them, and I do not believe Voom has a new bird going up for a couple of years.

Indy said:
Interesting discussion with a Installs Inc. Technician today. I finally had the Voom box picked up today by Installs Inc. The technician was very knowledgeable about Voom and subscriber numbers as they pertain to his beat.He is in charge of Central Indiana which is the Indianapolis area and surrounding counties.

He said that the churn rate has definitely come to a slow pace and new installs are really picking up. He also stated since the $1 deal was announced the new install numbers took off and he now has 1800 waiting to be installed in his territory alone.

That is very encouraging to hear. He said the last number for total Voom active customers he saw just before the Christmas Holliday is 33K. I realize that is not a big number but I have noticed Voom is picking up the pace on advertising, like on Discovery channel.

The DVR according to the tech is coming in March. The total of 70 HD channels by March are with exisisting assets according to the tech and will not require the elliptical dish. He said the new dish will be used with the next satellite that has not launched yet.

I may jump back in with Voom in a couple of days for the channels I miss and will never see on Dish. I called today and the CSR said my account is still showing active until the equipment is returned to Voom.
This confirms what I have been hearing about new installs and churn. My installer was doing nothing new V* installs or correcting problems with some less-than-stellar installers. To the best of his knowledge, the problem companies/installers were being tracked and denied further work orders. Likewise, since customer are under a 6-month commitment, the customers cannot cancel because of these shitbird installs.

The 33K number sounds way too low. If this guy has 1800 pending installs in Central Indiana (region), what about the other states? My installer was doing more than 20 each week by his lonesome.

Anyway, it will interesting to see those numbers. BTW, when are the quarterly subscriber numbers supposed to be published?

bruce said:
At that point I knew you were talking to someone with as much info as a CSR, there is no way anyone will be able to see that bird without a bigger Dish, one at 61.5 and one at 72.5, too much distance between the two of them, and I do not believe Voom has a new bird going up for a couple of years.
They have a contract for several to be built.Im sure you know this and I am sure you have bashed in the thread at AVS announcing it.

vurbano said:
They have a contract for several to be built.Im sure you know this and I am sure you have bashed in the thread at AVS announcing it.

Dude, what is your deal, my comment was to Indy that this Installer did not know what he was talking about, go back and read before you attack, and go find a happy thought or something.
cussing.gif

As soon as they have a DVR and my RSN, yep, also bored at work today.

riffjim4069 said:
Bruce, you have certainly been spending a lot time in the VOOM Forum lately. Getting ready for a VOOM install are we?

As soon as they have a DVR and my RSN, yep, also bored at work today, but it still was no reason for vurbano to attack, I just find it amazing how he gets away with name calling (not just with me) and rudeness when someone does not have the same opinion as his own.

Will we need a bigger dish or not?

bruce said:
At that point I knew you were talking to someone with as much info as a CSR, there is no way anyone will be able to see that bird without a bigger Dish, one at 61.5 and one at 72.5, too much distance between the two of them

Can someone comment on whether or not this is true. They have announced the new channels will use another satellite. Will existing customers need a new dish or something to be able to receive these channels?

bruce said:
I just find it amazing how he gets away with name calling (not just with me) and rudeness when someone does not have the same opinion as his own.

I too have noticed that vurbano does get cut alot of slack on this board. Maybe it has something to do with him being a "Professional Engineer".

jnardone said:
Can someone comment on whether or not this is true. They have announced the new channels will use another satellite. Will existing customers need a new dish or something to be able to receive these channels?

They have to, when E* went to both 110 and 119 they went to a bigger dish with a dual LNB, this is why I think this installer had no clue, I also remember in one of the SEC Reports that Sean always post that they have 5000 on order and were waiting for a bid from a company to make them but that was a couple of months ago.

Hey I found it, from 11-05-04

Rainbow DBS has not
finalized its plans for implementing the use of the new satellite capacity, for
the installation of the new larger antennas for new customers or for the switch
over of existing customers to the new larger antennas or the addition of a
second antenna. We have placed an initial order for 5,000 of the new larger dish
antennas. We have not yet specified, or sought proposals from manufacturers,
with respect to the second antenna configuration. We are not yet providing the
new larger antenna or installing additional antennas so we do not know how much
customer resistance to the larger antenna size or to a second antenna we will
encounter.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showpost.php?p=229144&postcount=1

bruce said:

Bruce, You are correct. From what I can understand there are 2 transponders up for grabs on the Echo 3 sat that E and D are not eligible to bid on. I think Voom is counting on the two extra transponders and using the same 18" dish to see both sats since they are next to one another. This is where the extra capacity is coming from. I use the same 18" dish for both Voom and Dish at the 61.5* sat location.

Indy said:
Bruce, You are correct. From what I can understand there are 2 transponders up for grabs on the Echo 3 sat that E and D are not eligible to bid on. I think Voom is counting on the two extra transponders and using the same 18" dish to see both sats since they are next to one another. This is where the extra capacity is coming from. I use the same 18" dish for both Voom and Dish at the 61.5* sat location.

Voom is already using them, this is from that same SEC Report:

October 2, 2004, but we have applied for an extension and under FCC rules may
continue to transmit under the STA during the pendency of the extension request.
We will have use of the two channels until the earlier of March 31, 2005, the
permanent assignment of the two channels, or an FCC order requiring Rainbow DBS
to vacate the two channels. If the FCC has not permanently assigned these
channels by March 31, 2005, we may apply to extend our STA for an additional 180
days.

Voom's website says a little more about whats on those transponders:

The STARZ! and SHOWTIME PlusPacks are delivered on satellite capacity that is only temporarily available to Rainbow DBS. Rainbow DBS may be required to cease transmitting over this capacity at any time. If you have any questions about this, please call us toll free at 1.800.GET.VOOM.

http://www.voom.com/see_it/programming.shtml

Now, this is what that report says about the second bird in the air:

In addition, on April 23, 2004, we entered into an agreement with SES
Americom, Inc. to lease 13 transponders as of October 1, 2004 and three
transponders as of January 1, 2005 on its Americom-6 satellite, which is located
at 72(degree) W.L. We have not yet determined how or when we will use the
transponder capacity on Americom-6 in our DBS business. Because of the orbital
positions of the Americom-6 satellite and our existing Rainbow 1 satellite,
which is located at its 61.5(degree) W.L., a subscriber will be unable to access
the signal from both satellites with a single 18" antenna of the type we have
installed and are currently installing but both could be accessed with a single
elliptical satellite antenna that will be approximately 35" wide by 20" high or
with the 18" antenna plus a second antenna that would receive the signal from
Americom-6.

riffjim4069 said:
Bruce, you have certainly been spending a lot time in the VOOM Forum lately. Getting ready for a VOOM install are we?
No he's a troll. No life loser with nothing to do but hang out here and bash.

Indy said:

Indy
Who was your installer that was at your house?

vurbano said:

See what I mean, vurbano I have never called you a name or attack you in anyway ever, I have already said I was considering Voom, and have answered a lot of questions t-nite in this thread and others, please find where have I bashed in any way, I know I have given honest answers without being negative about Voom, but you keep attacking people, I and others, Voom and this forum is not a private club and I know I am following forum rules, are you with your constant rudeness.

are you

vurbano said:

vurbano
are you a installer for voom???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)