What are you serving for Christmas?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

What do you plan to serve for Christmas Dinner?

• Turkey?

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Chicken?

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Goose?

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Other poultry?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fish?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ham?

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other pork?

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Beef?

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Something else/please explain

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Similar to Thanksgiving. I personally am considering shrimp creole and "something else." I'd like that something else to be fried catfish, but to time that out just right, for the 12-14 people that will be there, may be tough. Wife does not want to be chained to the stove. I will be preparing the shrimp creole. Looking for a Southern theme, as I am from New Orleans.

So I'm looking for ideas.

-Turkey?
-Chicken?
-Goose?
-Other poulty?
-Fish?
-Ham?
-Other pork?
-Beef?
-Something else/pls explain

Usually, most of my kin and myself eat ham for the Christmas, but with Chanukkah falling on the same week of Christmas this year we keep poultry on hands in case any of our Jewish distant kin come in from out west. This year if they come to my place they will be treated with a large spiced Turkey Breast or 2. If they don't come, I'll use it for sanwiches and gravy.

Similar to Thanksgiving. I personally am considering shrimp creole and "something else." I'd like that something else to be fried catfish, but to time that out just right, for the 12-14 people that will be there, may be tough. Wife does not want to be chained to the stove. I will be preparing the shrimp creole. Looking for a Southern theme, as I am from New Orleans.

So I'm looking for ideas.

-Turkey?
-Chicken?
-Goose?
-Other poulty?
-Fish?
-Ham?
-Other pork?
-Beef?
-Something else/pls explain

Duck or duckling
Standing rib roast
Beef Wellington
Crown Roast Lamb
Chicken Saltimbocca (chicken breast, stuffed with ham, provolone, mushroom, white wine sauce)

Duck or duckling
Standing rib roast
Beef Wellington
Crown Roast Lamb
Chicken Saltimbocca (chicken breast, stuffed with ham, provolone, mushroom, white wine sauce)

My wife is leaning toward a sort of duck stew, to go with the Shrimp Creole. But this Chicken Saltimbocca sounds Real Good. Not sure how well it would go along with the Shrimp Creole, but we might go with this. Maybe fix it for ourselves in a few days and decide then. Thank you for the suggestion.

Something Else! My wife has to fly out of town to testify at a divorce trial (not mind, thank goodness) and won't return until the day after Christmas. She actually flew out last week, but the trial was postponed due to the one of the lawyers being sick. At least she will be spending Christmas with her daughter who is in college back in MD.

Anyway, I may take our six year old to Brunch and an Ice Show at the Gaylord Texan Convention Center here in the Dallas area.

I'd really like to do that. But it'll probably be too cold to run the smoker outside, or even the gas grill. Not a fan of indoor ribs, now that I've had my own smoked ribs.

We considered putting the smoker in the garage, with the door rolled up, and maybe a door at the other end open too. Then we could also smoke some lamb. But there are drawbacks to that, so it'll likely be Shrimp Creole made the day before (always tastes better a day later). And either some sort of duck stew, capon or most likely now, Chicken Saltimbocca.

Christmas Day is Turkey at Grandmas

Christmas Eve is a smorgasbord at my dad's house...dont know what we have until we there :)
Christmas Eve at my mom's is usually lasagna/garlic bread and something else like Chicken Alfredo

Well, we did a test run on the Chicken Saltimbocca and carrot orzo tonight. WINNERS! We'll now definitely be serving those, and squash, and Shrimp Creole.

Not to put a downer on things, but my in-laws recently moved into a retirement facility. There was a special big meal for a big anniversary of when the place opened (25 years?). They served lobster. My FiL, who has dementia, did not recognize it. Even when told what it was, he was giving it strange looks. They even removed the meat from the shell for him, but he would not touch it. Maybe he thought it was a bug?

I won't be cooking, but I'm getting indications that the Xmas eve dinner I go to will be a traditional Italian Xmas meal, which is basically a lot of fish and small veggie stuff.

Canada goose, but haven't decided how to cook it. Probably with a Pinot Noir or a sparkling wine. Or both.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)