What are you watching?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
OK, time for some inventory, here is what we have right now.

DirecTV, including the Sports Pack...which means you get all the regional sports channels around the country, including local high school and some college games, except for things you have to purchase, like...

MLB Extra Innings - I think this is my third season with EI, and for the most part it's spectacular. Most every game is in HD now. Slight problem on Saturdays as Fox owns the afternoon, so no EI games are shown until 7PM, but in the summer we're usually at the beach on Saturdays anyway.

NFL Sunday Ticket - The creme'-de-le-creme' of sports packages. Last season was my first with ST, and it was amazing. The Red Zone channel alone makes it worth every penny, and that's not to mention being able to move from game to game as well. My nieces and nephews play so much sports on Sundays I often miss some football, at least through October, but it's still well worth it.

NHL Center Ice - My favorite sport, although the Rangers always take precedence. My boyfriend came in as a Devil fan, but I've 'convinced' him to change his ways. ;)

Being an Islander fan, of course, would be a deal breaker no matter how cute he is. I've had this package for a long time. (Center Ice, not my boyfriend! :D)

NBA League Pass - Another package I've had two years. The NBA needs to fix their rule where they only give you the home team broadcast, however. Sometimes the home team is not showing in HD (hopefully that'll change this year) and the away team is, but you only get the home team's SD version.

The other packages are not like that, you get both team's telecasts.

ESPN Full Court - Like a zillion college basketball games. If the game is televised anywhere, it's on FC.

We don't get the college football package because a combination of us being out and me wanting to watch Ohio State makes the package not worthwhile for us.

We don't watch every game, not even close (HD knows I don't watch the stinky teams at all! :)), and some nights we don't even watch sports. But I like having the option to tune into any game I want.

What do you guys watch? Do you have any of the sports packages?

Sandra

DirecTV including Sports Pack. ESPN GamePlan, although I am considering dropping it if they don't go HD. I can get ESPN360 through my DSL.

NFL Sunday Ticket with Super Fan. I'm not even a big NFL fan, but the games are BEAUTIFUL. Nothing compares to watching 8 games simultaneously on a 52" HD screen.

I moved last year and dropped ExpressVu. I miss it a lot, so I have setup the dish at the new place and have an appointment for tomorrow with my broker to get activated.

Last edited:
I get the ESPN Full Court during basketball season and sometimes order the Fox College Sports package too. Never gotten anything else, but watch out of market football games online.

I have Dish Network. :)

Same here ;)

But if I did have Directv, I probably would'nt get all of these sports packs anyway. The only out of market college football team I regularly watch is Navy but thankfully their games are now carried on CBS College Sports. One of the main reasons I switched to Dish from cable is they carried CBS College Sports in the main tiers, at the time Directv didn't.

hockey...no sports package...dont need it honestly since I have CBC, TSN, TSN2, Rogers Sportsnet, RDS, NHL Net & Leafs TV on Shaw Direct and all in HD except for Leafs TV

TSN2 carries the games from versus + other games
TSN carries games 5 days a week with doubleheaders most nights
RSN has the Leafs games (sadly the Canuck, Flames & Oilers games are blacked out)
RDS has the Canadiens games in French (dont need to know the language to watch a hockey game) plus some other games :)
LeafsTV has some Leafs games
NHL Net has random games from the FSN channels (the Candian version is different than the US version)

Also college hockey. Start with a game on the East coast or the CCHA, then flip to the WCHA games and then finish off with a nice late game from Anchorage or Fairbanks :)

DirecTV Choice Extra with HD DVR. This includes Cleveland RSN's and locals.

I don't need no stinkin' "league pass" to see teams from Oklahoma City, Tuscaloosa or Albakirkie. I am a fan on Cleveland Sports and I live in Cleveland, Ohio. That's good enough for me. :cool:

DirecTV Choice Extra with HD DVR. NFL Sunday ticket with superfan. plus regionals

Directv Total Choice + (grandfathered) which gives me my local RSN.

Sunday Ticket w/SuperFan

Last edited:
I currently subscribe to pretty much everything,

MLB EI, NFL Sunday Ticket, NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass, ESPN Gameplan & Full Court along w/March Madness.

I have 4 TVs in my TV room, 52" Samsung LCD, Two 32" TVs wall mounted on the side and a 22" TV that is only hooked up to cable but comes in handy now and then. But because of all the TVs I can justify having all the sports packages as I generally keep them active at night :)

I have subs to DirecTV and Bell Expressvu, along w/a Cband dish.

I have DISH Network with the Gold 250 & Gold and Plat HD package w/locals +OTA. I used to sub to their sports pak but decided it wasn't worth it just for the blackout runover factor!!!...:eek:

BTW, used to have EI when DISH offered it, and would do it again if it meant I could get MLB Network, but I know that's not going to happen anytime "soon"!!!...:eek:

I have DISH Network with the Gold 250 & Gold and Plat HD package w/locals +OTA. I used to sub to their sports pak but decided it wasn't worth it just for the blackout runover factor!!!...:eek:

BTW, used to have EI when DISH offered it, and would do it again if it meant I could get MLB Network, but I know that's not going to happen anytime "soon"!!!...:eek:

Switch to Directv then. What's keeping you tied to Dish?

hockey...no sports package...dont need it honestly since I have CBC, TSN, TSN2, Rogers Sportsnet, RDS, NHL Net & Leafs TV on Shaw Direct and all in HD except for Leafs TV

TSN2 carries the games from versus + other games
TSN carries games 5 days a week with doubleheaders most nights
RSN has the Leafs games (sadly the Canuck, Flames & Oilers games are blacked out)
RDS has the Canadiens games in French (dont need to know the language to watch a hockey game) plus some other games :)
LeafsTV has some Leafs games
NHL Net has random games from the FSN channels (the Candian version is different than the US version)
Same here, except I have Bell which has Leafs TV in HD (my wife is a rabid Leafs fan), and if we watch a Canadiens game, my wife will translate for me.

Also have Dish Network, and the area I'm in, I can watch Washington, Baltimore, and Harrisburg locals, which gives me all the NFL teams that I need to see (in combination with the Boston & Seattle locals on Bell, plus CTV/TSN/Rogers). My own mini-Sunday Ticket :D

No need for any extra sports packages, since Baltimore is ACC territory, I get the Raycom ACC games from there. Plus the Big 10 Network supplied to PA addresses.

Switched from DirecTV to FiOS about a year and a half ago, and I'm loving it!!!! :up

I do miss Sunday Ticket on D* though. :(

What do you guys watch? Do you have any of the sports packages?

DirecTV with the Sports Pack.

Baseball - I live in a triple overlap area, meaning I get three different cities' teams in the "basic" package. Combined with the national games on TBS, ESPN, and MLBN, and the random games on WGN, that is more than enough baseball for me.

College Basketball - I have ESPN 360. Plus the sports pack games, SEC and Overrated East and two smaller teams syndication.

College Football - The games that come in free with Sports Pack, combined with the national games, and the SEC syndication that is local here, covers me quite well. Plus I have season tickets to my local team, and go to Las Vegas at least twice during the season, so I am out of the house too much to benefit.

NBA - Don't care about it.

NHL - I live in a double overlap area. This is the package I would get, but really those two teams and all of the VS and NHLN games are plenty at this point.

NFL - I do not live in an NFL city, and all of the teams that could sort of be considered local are in the AFC, so the local Fox always has a good random mix of games. I have never understood this package. Its just games on at exactly the same time as free games.

Directv
Sunday Ticket / Super Fan, have had it since the beginning of time I think ! (ST that is) had it with C-Band in the beginning. ( $ 79. in the beginning :) )

Have to be able to see my Steeler's ( live in a Lion's terr.)

Been thinking about getting MLB EI for several seasons now ..... still debating ...

FSN from Detroit, Cincy and Cleveland in the local package ...
Grandfathered Total Choice +

Jimbo

That's the 1 channel that I REALLY want, but I know I won't be getting. :(

Switch to Directv then. What's keeping you tied to Dish?

That's the 1 channel that I REALLY want, but I know I won't be getting. :(

I would like to have MLB Network but not enough to go through the hassle of changing providers. (And I can always watch or record it here at work!!!...;))

I've been with DISH since 1996 and have learned to live with their "quirks"!!!...:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts