What box do you recommend for D* HDTV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jahan

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 25, 2004
I'm interested in signing up for the D* HD promotion which is $299.

Does anyone one know which HD box will be provided? Any recommendations?

My apologies if this has been previously posted.

I signed up for HD in May and D* sent me the Samsung 360. It's a decent box.

The infared is very touchy though. the IR on the box has a limited 'field of vision'. So if you're not right in front of the box, you can have a hard time changing channels, etc.

I also don't like that you can't adjust how long messages/banners appear on the screen. For example, the caller ID box stays on the screen for a good minute after you pick up the phone. I recall being able to adjust this on the RCA boxes.

You can try asking D* for the Hughes or RCA, but generally they will send you whatever the receiver du jour is.

If you sign up at a BB or CC, you should be able to choose from whatever receivers they have.

Hughes HTL-HD

I give my thumbs up vote to the Hughes HTL-HD, it is a great box, with great features and great picture quality. There is only one box that is newer and that is the Sony HD-300. There are some posts on this box as well. Bang for the buck I think the HTL-HD is top notch.

There's also a new RCA box that Value Electronics carries. I have seen some decent user reviews of it. It was/is $100 more (for existing customers) than the HTL-HD I got at CC.

Are you a new customer, jahan, or an existing D* subscriber? If you are a long time existing D* subscriber, you should be able to get a better deal than $299. Visit the HD Equipment forum at AVSForum dot com. Call the CUstomer Retention number directly and note you are considering other providers. Good luck.

I would highly recommend the HTL-HD box. It is very stable and looks good. OTA reception is very nice.

I also would vote for the HTL-HD. Works great, pulls in local OTA great, love the "Surf" menu. Guide has great speed unlike the clunker of a Philips POS i have in the bedroom that moves a mile a minute. At $285 the price is certainly right for the HTL HD

Based on the feedback I will try to get the Hughes HTL-HD box.

I'm a new subscriber and it will cost me $299 for the box. Does anyone know if there are better deals out there?

PS--I used to have Voom but could not stand the day to day problems I was having with the box. I hope my experience with D* will be better.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)