What Broadband Speed Needed for SA IPTV

Bayonne

Original poster
Oct 16, 2007
Does anyone have a theory on what kind of broadband speed will be required for good picture/sound quality on Sky Angel IPTV? Their website says 1.5MBps. To subscribe to their IPTV service, I will need to upgrade my dsl from 768K to 3.0 MBps but I'm wondering if that will be enough. Anything more than that would require getting a cable internet modem with accompanying tv package. Any comments/suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

personally I wouldn't be the first on the block to get IPTV. Yes according to sky angel 1.5 is the minimum speed necessary to run THEIR service. In other words , if it slows down your internet thats not there problem. also some IP have a more consistent speed than others.

You have to decide if the increase cost of your DSL, the IPTV equipment and the new higher monthly fee for skyangel are worth it. So far the channel line up is not impressive. Take a look at what canadians are getting for $25 a month

This week's Inside Sky Angel includes a demo of hooking up the equipment and an updated list of channels that are currently on-board. The U.S. will have more channels than Canada, at least at this point.

Again, channel lineup isn't the only consideration for me. Having those channels consolidated into a convenient access is worth some $$ because, even though I could access many of them on-line, my honest assessment is that I would be lazy about doing it. Being able to go back 48 hours to select programming is another plus that is worth some $$.

I want to "feed" myself God's Word as much as possible during my days. I will view the SA costs as being worth the risk that I may lose the service at some point, even if after only a short time. I'm enough of a "techie" to just want to try out the new IPTV technology as well. And my understanding is that the IPTV equipment is actually portable -- you could take the box to another location, hook into I'net access there, and have the programming available.

Last edited:
Assuming you do upgrade to the 3.0 MB DSL package, I think it would be more than enough for SA* as long as you only expect to use 1 SA* IPTV box at a time. You would still have another 1.5 left for web surfing, etc.

You just brought up an interesting point. Does having multiple tvs hooked into IPTV furter slow down your Internet service?

Multiple TVs, no. Multiple IPTV boxes streaming content to multiple TVs will use more bandwidth (I hate to say "slow the internet down", because it's not slowing anything down, it's just utilizing the existing bandwidth. You might not even realize the impact unless you're into downloading large files all the time!)

So with only the minimum of 1.5 you really wouldn't advise using multiple iptv boxes at the same time and/or also using the computer for more than email?

What about using a video game system online such as play station?

Last edited:
i just talked to SA, the cost is 14.99 for the faith pkg of tv and radio ch, and 19.99 for the family pkg or 24.99 for both and with an 18 mo comittment the set top box is free.

i just talked to SA, the cost is 14.99 for the faith pkg of tv and radio ch, and 19.99 for the family pkg or 24.99 for both and with an 18 mo comittment the set top box is free.

Anyone find it ironic they are leaving behind lifetime subs and asking people to commit to 18 months?

If the box was free, and the commitment was 3 or 4 months I would do it most likely. If it interfered with our online work, we would drop it. I could not subscribe to 18 months then be stuck with not being able to view SA while DH is working from home online.

its a big commitment for something that may not work well with some ISPs. do they want it prepayed or only a commitment? I wouldn't prepay them a dime after the lifetime nonsense. Do you realize that some prepayed for the "specials" and some didn't yet everyone still gets them?!

I think the 18 month deal is for anyone, not just lifetime subs

Besides there is now the problem of hughes net not being IPTV compatible. Just makes it even more difficult to trust skyangel

No, I really wasn't being sarcastic. And yes, the free box with 18 months is not just for lifetime subscribers. The CSR also told me they were talking about that.

Now that Skyangel is using a different third party to distribute their programming, they may have no choice when it comes to honoring lifetime subscriptions. If Neulion is charging them per customer, or per the amount of their resources used, then Skyangel has to pass the cost along, either that or they will have to eat the cost and they will die just as fast as they did in the satellite business.

It is not to defend this whole setup, since it meant I had to leave Skyangel and have voiced my displeasure before, but from a business sense it makes perfect logic.

You would think that lifetime subs would be given a better offer than one available to everyone(free box for 18month sub). At best you MIGHT get them to give you the box (I doubt it) but I am sure they are still going to want their monthly fee. At the very lest lifetime members should be offered free lifetime internet access to all skyangel programming.

How quickly skyangel forgets that they probably wouldn't still exist today if not for the lifetime subscribers. Like the CS rep told me they don't "make any $ on lifetime people". its sad but if they can't find a way to generate additional $ from us then we are expendable. Unless there is a law suit all it costs them is some bad publicity.

Also you might have to worry about using too much bandwith I read somwhere that either Comcast or Time Warner (sorry cant remember which one) was cutting off people that used to much bandwith. I don't know what the limit might be but if you watch alot of tv it could be a problem depending on your broadband provider.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)