What cable type (coax/ethernet) do I need to run from router to DVR for on-demand?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jumpyg

Original poster
Jan 19, 2011
SE Michigan
Hi, I had DirecTV installed a couple months back and love it so far. I have two DVRs (the HR24 I think, whatever is the new one) and one regular HD box, all are connected using the whole home DVR. I had requested the $25 install of the internet connection package, but the installer said there was no way to run cable from my router to my DVR. He arrived two hours late and probably wanted to go.

Anyway, I was interested in installing this myself, or at least doing as much as I can and having another tech connect it up. It looks to me like I need to run coaxial cable from the gateway/router (I have the big Uverse 2wire unit) to the DVR. Is that correct or should it be ethernet instead? What other devices do I need for this setup? A diagram would be great, but I couldn't find it on DirecTV's site (they say you must have a tech do the install).

Thanks for any pointers!

Depends - are you wanting to connect it thru the SWM coax splitter, so that it goes to both DVR's thru the existing coax? If so, you need the Cinema Connection DECA, which connects to a router port, then has a coax output that connects to a port on your SWM splitter. (it also has an AC adaptor to power it) If he did NOT leave that part, then you'll need to get one to be able to do it this way. I've seen them on E-bay for around $20, so that might be the easiest way to get one.

If you don't mind running an ethernet cable, you can simply run one from a router port, to the ethernet port on the DVR. However, if you have MRV, (which it sounds like you do) I believe the ethernet port is disabled when you are using the internal DECA. (NOT 100% sure on that one, but that's what I keep reading people around here saying that, while others say it's NOT true) If you have MRV, I'd just get the CC kit myself & be done with it.

Either way, you will need to run a cable of some sort...

Not knowing how things are run now. There are a couple of ways to do this.
Split the coax wherever it's convenient and put the internet adapter there.
Then run ethernet from the adapter to your router/switch.
The coax doesn't need to be near the router.

Where does the coax from the dish enter your house?
Is this anywhere near your router?
Do you have ethernet run in the house?
Is one of those near an existing coax outlet?
If so, then put an ethernet switch there and connect the adapter in that location.

There have been many discussions about how to do this.
It all depends on how your place is wired now for coax and ethernet.

This might help.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...eries-internal-deca-broadband-connection.html

Ok, I have a picture to show what's going on in the basement. I just realized today that I already have a coax cable going from the router upstairs to the same area I have the SWM in the basement. DOH!!! Anyway I guess I'll have to hook this up myself. I ordered a powered DECA on ebay today. I'll hook the DECA up next to the router upstairs.

So in the basement there is a single wire from the dish going into the SWM "in." Then there are three cables going out to TVs, one H24, and two HR24's. The fourth "out" is the SWM power supply. So I don't have a place for the coax form the DECA to go. What do I do???? The silver splitter in the back is from U-Verse and has the coax I'll hook to the DECA. So is there a splitter I can use or do I need a different SWM? Not sure how much those cost, maybe I would've been better off having DirecTV come back out. :confused:

Thanks for the help!

swm.jpg

What you are calling the SWM is actually a SWS4 splitter. What you need to do is get another SWS splitter (green lable) to put on one of the three lines to receivers and use it for the third receiver and the internet DECA. I'll let others give you the exact details as I'm not well versed in this.

No, no, NO other splitters needed - JUST connect the coax from the router DECA to the TO IRD port on the power supply (just remove the terminator) & you're all set.
It's the SAME thing as one of the non-power passing ports on the splitter - it was really meant for when you put the PS directly behind one of your receivers - but it'll work for the DECA as well.

No, no, NO other splitters needed - JUST connect the coax from the router DECA to the TO IRD port on the power supply (just remove the terminator) & you're all set.
It's the SAME thing as one of the non-power passing ports on the splitter - it was really meant for when you put the PS directly behind one of your receivers - but it'll work for the DECA as well.
This is clearly your easiest way to inject your router connection to your coax network. I second dishrich's suggestion.

DING DING DING that is the correct answer!

Now if you ever wanted to add receivers in the future, you will need another splitter, or get yourself the 8-way and be done with it.

Wow, what luck!

Any downsides to wiring it up like that??? The SWS-8 doesn't look like it costs that much. (Thanks for the help with the terminology HA!)

Again, I really appreciate the help, folks. :D

Got my DECA from ebay yesterday ($23) and installed it in 10 minutes. What a snap! The DVRs were recognized right away and I was downloading VOD stuff right away. Thanks a lot for the advice! :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)