What can I achieve with this DirecPC LNB, if anything?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

aasimbeck

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
I don't really know much about other bands beyond Ku (I'm a long time dish network customer, and thats what really got me started on satellite stuff).

Anyways, heres a pic of the LNB, and some form of rather large block thing thats on the bottom of the arm.

28hofvn.png

2rnvg4w.png

I used that exact same KU band LNB for both 123W and 125W - - - works great.

I used it until the dish got 30" of snow and came crashing down.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/202235-dishes-snow-pics-2.html#post2100858

I would definitely press that one into service! :up

You can take the amp off or leave it on if you mount it very well.

Best of success!
Isn't Ku the same band that the standard dish 500, or dish 300 use? Well, its basically standard across pretty much all of echostars fleet, isn't it?
Sorry, I'm new to the whole realm of frequencies, bands, etc. :p
Thanks

I have exactly that. Two of them. I'm getting RTV and History satellites. I think they are the 83 and 101 satellites. Works great.

I have exactly that. Two of them. I'm getting RTV and History satellites. I think they are the 83 and 101 satellites. Works great.

Did you just toy around with it to get a signal? Or is there somewhere I can get some numbers to use as guidelines for the install?

Did you just toy around with it to get a signal? Or is there somewhere I can get some numbers to use as guidelines for the install?
Behind the dish on the mount, you'll find markings for elevation and skew.
Make sure the pole is plumb, and the above will be -close-.
You aim the dish for azimuth (east-west) with a compass.

For numbers on each bird, at your location, see any of the aiming calculators.
- we have one called The List (top of every page)
- SatelliteAV has GeoSatFinder
- there are many others

edit:
you didn't say, but I'm assuming the LNBF is on an elliptical (wide) DirecPC dish

Well, this was one of the very first satellite dishes I ever messed with.
I was about to drag them all to the curb when a little voice told me to see if I could fix them.

I came here and did some reading then went out with a wrench I borrowed from a neighbor and aimed one at the RTV satellite and I found it the first attempt!
And seriously, I had no clue what I was doing.

It wasn't coming in very good but it more or less was. Over time the guys here helped me with advice and I was able to fine tune the dish to get a very, very reliable picture.

I did the same with a second one and get the History channel very reliably.

They are kinda large and fonky looking but they do work really well. :)

Behind the dish on the mount, you'll find markings for elevation and skew.
Make sure the pole is plumb, and the above will be -close-.
You aim the dish for azimuth (east-west) with a compass.

For numbers on each bird, at your location, see any of the aiming calculators.
- we have one called The List (top of every page)
- SatelliteAV has GeoSatFinder
- there are many others

edit:
you didn't say, but I'm assuming the LNBF is on an elliptical (wide) DirecPC dish
Yes, the dish is about 39 inches.

I'm just wondering - - -

What type of receiver are you trying with it? Or have you gotten that far yet.

When you set it all up - - - you will need a good MPEG2 or MPEG4 FTA receiver.

Everyone has their favorites but this sub-forum might help to learn about the different types of receivers that are available and being used by folks here.

FTA/MPEG2 Equipment Reviews - SatelliteGuys.US

What type of receiver are you trying with it? Or have you gotten that far yet.

When you set it all up - - - you will need a good MPEG2 or MPEG4 FTA receiver.

Everyone has their favorites but this sub-forum might help to learn about the different types of receivers that are available and being used by folks here.

FTA/MPEG2 Equipment Reviews - SatelliteGuys.US
Haven't gotton that far yet. I still need to decide which receiver to purchase.. Theres so many options to choose from hah. I have an HDTV, so an MPEG4 would be preferred, and I prefer a DVR, but its not a necessity.

If you haven't moved the dish already, and were using it for internet service, you may already be aimed at a satellite that has free to air tv channels. Depending on which sat you were assigned to with the internet service, that is. Would make it easy to test that new receiver, when you get one. Just connect the satellite RX cable to it, turn it on and see what you get with a blind-scan. I have one of the earlier ones, Direcway, dishes and it does pretty well on most ku satellites. Right now its aimed at 72W .

If you haven't moved the dish already, and were using it for internet service, you may already be aimed at a satellite that has free to air tv channels. Depending on which sat you were assigned to with the internet service, that is. Would make it easy to test that new receiver, when you get one. Just connect the satellite RX cable to it, turn it on and see what you get with a blind-scan. I have one of the earlier ones, Direcway, dishes and it does pretty well on most ku satellites. Right now its aimed at 72W .
It wasn't pre-installed. I had it laying in my garage, someone gave it to me.

My neighbors have trees blocking pretty much all of the southern sky. The only satellites I can hit in between the tree's are Dish Network 110, and 119. I'm sure 118.7 and a few others are possible, but theirs no much room to work with at all, I'm surprised the signal strength doesn't fluctuate more than it does in wind.

We have Dish Network here, I have an HDTV in my room, and my parents have standard def TV's, one up stairs and one downstairs. So they are relying on 110 and 119.

I have began installing dishes on the eastern arc, because thats the only sky that I have a 100% clear view of. So after getting dishes on 61.5 and 72.7, I begin learning about FTA, etc.

So I mounted the direcpc dish in an area where the DishPointer iPhone app showed me the best view of the AMC and Galaxy satellites in the eastern arc. Now I'm just waiting for my Super Buddy to come in, and I'll see what I can hit with it.

Thanks
web.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know about the directpc dish, but the mount/dish on my direcway dish is one of the most accurate I have, far as actually being at 48degrees elevation if that is what you adjust it to. WHenever I've repointed mine, I found it was very "spot-on" when I look for a particular bird! Makes finding them easier than some dishes.

Your dish is looking great

I would suggest you try for 72W if that is visable.

72W has 4 NBC MUX channels that are hot in the morning and other times of the day with different stuff. Plus sometimes they have feeds on 72W.

Any idea on the receiver yet? I might start out with a Coolsat from eBAY or Craigslist.

I found a good deal on a SonicView HD-8000 off of Craigslist for $100 - - - if runs my motorized KU setup just fine.

BTW, the dish looks great !!! If you did not already you my want to cover the hole on the curved part of the feedhorn so no bee or other insects go up there and ruin your signal. :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts