What Can I Do With My Old HR10-250?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

slangalang

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2007
I got an HR10-250 about 8 months ago for free as a lease. I then upgraded about two months after to an HR20. I was told that I would be sent a box to return the HR10, but never received one. This was about 6 months ago now. I called D* yesterday and was told that my box was a lease and that it could not be transferred to anybody else (asked them if I could give it to a friend with D*).

So, im not being charged for it on my bill, and they have never charged me the non-returned equipment fee. Im just sitting on this unused box and I want to sell it (or throw it away if I cant sell it) because its just sitting here. If somebody buys it from me, is it flagged in D* system as a lease or something? Would they be able to activate it? I figure if D* every tried to charge me for it id tell them to screw off since they made me store it for them for 6 months.

Thanks

Keep bugging them for a box. Otherwise they may bill you for it. They definitely don't want them very badly though. I bought mine and they won't trade it up to the HR20 at any price. Of course when I got it they said they would. Can you say obsolete?

Keep bugging them for a box. Otherwise they may bill you for it. They definitely don't want them very badly though. I bought mine and they won't trade it up to the HR20 at any price. Of course when I got it they said they would. Can you say obsolete?

I get your point, but in the end, im not a storage unit, and 6 months is more than long enough to hold their box. I dont think they can really argue with that. Plus, more than once they have told me they would send a box. Its not like ive tried to cheat them. but at this point, ive got to do something with it, and if I can get some cash for it (they seem to be going for over $200 on feebay) id rather go that route. Any ideas on whether or not it can be used by somebody else?

If they won't send you a box then sell it. That's what they told me to do with mine. Some people actually still love these things. I just got 3 HR20's in 3 months and they said don't call us again for 6 months. I want 2 more. They made me send my D10 back when I upgraded. I had to ask for a box twice. They charged me $55 for that thing and finally reimbursed me. They may charge you $470 for the HR10.

If they won't send you a box then sell it. That's what they told me to do with mine. Some people actually still love these things. I just got 3 HR20's in 3 months and they said don't call us again for 6 months. I want 2 more. They made me send my D10 back when I upgraded. I had to ask for a box twice. They charged me $55 for that thing and finally reimbursed me. They may charge you $470 for the HR10.

Will the new owner (buyer) have any trouble setting it up since its listed as a lease? Thats what im most worried about. Im not worried about D* charging me. At this point I feel that they have no right to - I gave them a very reasonable amount of time to get it.

Will the new owner (buyer) have any trouble setting it up since its listed as a lease? Thats what im most worried about. Im not worried about D* charging me. At this point I feel that they have no right to - I gave them a very reasonable amount of time to get it.
Direct doesn't want anything to do with tivo boxes anymore but if you sell that box you just made an enemy. Directv said they won't transfer it and they meant it. Send it back or run some more wires and use it. I own mine and I still don't want to sell it. I would love to trade it in. Obsolete more and more every day.

what i'm trying to figure out here, kik, is how you ended up with a lease on an hr10? did you get it before the hr20's were released?

I own mine ($700). The other guy has the lease.

Yes, I have the lease. I got it for free about 2 months before the HR20 was released. The I got the HR20 as an upgrade for $69 and still have the leased HR10.

If you have a SD DVR, I'd replace it with the HR20. Sure, it'll eventually not be good for any D* HD channels, but it's still a TiVo with 200 hours of storage in SD and has two digital OTA tuners. I plan to kep my HR10 in service until it dies.

Have you asked about the whole house HD DVR upgrade? If you haven't gotten it before, they will give you an HR20 for every active HR10 on your account, and let you keep the HR10s, too.

Have you asked about the whole house HD DVR upgrade? If you haven't gotten it before, they will give you an HR20 for every active HR10 on your account, and let you keep the HR10s, too.

I dont have any active HR10's in my house at the moment. i suppose I could install it and then ask them, but I dont see why they would give me a free HR20 to replace it this time, since they charged me last time.

Another option would be to install it in place of one of my H10's, but thats the TV that other people use and I would get really tired of telling them that the HD locals are on channel 83 or whatever.

If I could get a free swapout for the HR10 for an HR20 though, that would be ideal. I guess ill have to start a game plan...

I received a HR10 free in July 06. Directv just upgraded free with a HR20 and let me move the HR10 to a bedroom to swap out a regular receiver. I did have to call a couple of times though.

john, did d* actually physically take one of your receivers when you upgraded? just curious. i got an h20 as an upgrade for my h10 last week. but when i asked the installer if he was going to take the h10, he told me no. that was mine to keep.

I dont have any active HR10's in my house at the moment. i suppose I could install it and then ask them, but I dont see why they would give me a free HR20 to replace it this time, since they charged me last time.

My bad! That's what I get for posting while sleep deprived. The HR20 isn't free, but it's only $99. That's a pretty good trade in my mind.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)