Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I know this question has been asked alot, so I'll answer it here

"What can I get with a 18" dish" or "What can I get with a Dish 500"

Here is what you can LEGALLY get with a DBS dish

ExpressVu (Nimiq1 at 91)
-XPRS2..this is a info channel for ExpressVu
-About 10 slate channels..These have instructions on how to change your smartcard and a little video on how to do it
-35 radio stations from around Canada (CBC Radio as an example)

ExpressVu (Nimiq2 at 82)
-one barker channel (same as XPRS2)
-Couple radio Stations
-Cool FM (Jazz)

Dish 119
-101...the Dish help channel
-213...NASA
-262...Angel One
-501..a screen saying "you have purchased ----------" When a Dish customer orders a sports PPV (like Wrestlemania), when you tune to the channel it is on, you will see this
-9950.."You need a second dish to view this channel"..This is what Dish subscribers see when a local channel is on the 2nd dish (61.5 or 148)
-Muzak audio channels...Both the mono & CD ones are here. Sirius use to be, but sadly they were scrambled :(

Dish 110
-Gol TV (407 & 853)..407 is the English version (you have to set the audio to the SAP, Language 2, etc to get English)...853 is the Spanish version
-103..The PPV previews
-485..a channel that tells Dish subscribers how to block out adult channels

Dish 61.5
-International Promo channel (580)

Dish 148
-International Promo Channel (580)
-Dish 491 x4 (this is a mirror of Dish 101...but its on 491 and shows up 4 times!)

So there you have it..This is what I can LEGALLY get with a 18" dish

Thank you for "What can I get is 18"

Thank you for asking and answering your post. This was very valuable to me. I went through all that you mentioned and found it spot on for 119.

As for 110, when I select the channels you mentioned I get 89% signal 0% quality on 407 & 853. However 125, 196, 197, 198 gets 89% signal and 90% quality but no picture. 139 has 91% signal and 0% quality.

I only had the system about 18 hours before the ecm and so I cannot truely say that they all worked before but I know that there was video on most channels. Does it seem to you that I have an alignment problem, faulty LNB or just the ECM fault? Euipment is the 2500a and the elliptical dish with the support for 119/110/101 LNB.

Thanks again for the post.

I'll be polite, but obviously you had a modified 2500, because I have been getting all of the above for about 3 weeks now (once I added a slot for 110)

LNB Type

If I wanted to get the FTA signals from 110 / 119 would I be using a Dish network LNB or a FTA type of LNB ? I have an extra Direct TV dish and was thinking about "playing" around with a little FTA on the cheap. I know I would need a FTA receiver, and I know I would not be able to get video from an 18" dish. I just wanted to see what satellites I could see and if I could get some music or anything else from them. Thanks

you would use a DBS LNB (Dish or Direct)

You'll get what I posted above (depending on which satellite you are looking at) :)

LNB Type

Is there a better FTA type of LNB that would pickup what ever is on Dish or Direct TV Birds and other FTA signals ? I am looking for one LNB that can do it all except C band stuff. Thanks

no
Since FTA (Ku band) uses H & V polarity and DBS uses L & R polarity, there isn't one yet that will handle both

What some people do is strap a DBS LNB right next to the KU LNB and then you have the best of both worlds :)

Is there anything else

Hello there
The top post listed what was FTA from Dish. Is there anything up there from Direct TV ? If I am going to have to strap an LNB onto a new dish, then which system would I find more stuff on. Thanks.............

no
DirectTv uses a totally different type of system and everything is encrypted

There are 2 types of systems that can pick up FTA
DVB..what we are dealing with
Digicipher II...4DTV (the new version of C-Band)

Again, what I have listed above is all you can get with an 18" dish...If there was more, I would have posted it :)

Fta

I assume the "no" is in reference to that there are no FTA receivers that can use the Dish PRO LNB's. I will start looking for a used standard LNB for Dish Network. Thanks....................

I don't know if a DishPro would work. If it was a single or dual, you would be OK...I don't think a DishPro Twin would work

I'm using 2 Legacy duals for 110 & 119 (My subscribed to DishNet system has a Legacy Twin on it)

LNB and FTA

I am running 2 dish 500's Pro's (61.5, 110/119) and they are going into a DP34. What I was hoping that I could do would be to connect the FTA receiver to one of the open port of the DP34 then I could see the three satellites with the FTA receiver. I am looking to get some of the FTA music that is there. Thanks...........

I don't think it will work

Since Dish uses the same frequencies on each of the 3 satellites, the FTA won't know to go to 119, 110, or 61.5

You can try it and see if it works.
Use the following
LO freq 11250 (not 10750)
Frequency of 12268
Polarity of H
SR of 20.000

There are 1/2 dozen audio channels on there...

I believe that you can also get from Dish on 61.5 and 148, the International Promo Channel, Dish channel #580.
I'll try to check on this when I get home.

yep

Forgot about that one.....whoops :D

Most of the time people ask about 119, 110 or 91.

A 20" will not cut it, honestly even the 30" is cutting it fine in some parts of the country, but its considered an entry size to the hobby, the 20" will work great for FTA DBS satellite channels, but you will need at least a 30" dish with a standard linear Ku band LNBF.

mkm4 said:
I believe that you can also get from Dish on 61.5 and 148, the International Promo Channel, Dish channel #580.
I'll try to check on this when I get home.

I checked this morning and I'll confirm that it is FTA. I also saw an entire transponder that was being used for testing that was FTA. I think there were seven channels open. It was a weird mix, IFC, ESPN, Toon Disney, the Weather Channel and a few others that weren't labeled.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts