What channel would you like the most via an ala carte platform?

What channel would you like the most?

• USA

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Disney

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • TNT

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • Fox News

Votes: 17 22.7%
  • TBS

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • A&E

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • ABC Family

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • ESPN and ESPN2

Votes: 19 25.3%
  • Comedy Central

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Discovery Channel

Votes: 12 16.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
The real problem is that at bare minimum you're going to need $10,000 a month to get a channel on the satellite in acceptable quality.

You are correct and that's just for an SD feed!!!

However I enjoy writing business plans and pitching them so the worst case is someone says no.

I would really like to get 2,000 votes on the poll not sure if it will happen. (This site has a very niche target of users which is why I posted the poll)

I don't think the carrier -can- really just cherry pick the favorite channels.
If he could, that would mean some of the useless channels wouldn't be carried, and they'd die out!

This is true. Which is why you have to start with a company that only makes you carry two channels. So at lease you can get something off the ground and not have too much cash burn and turn off the service after just a few months.

Hey Guys and Gals.

I am a recruiter and if you know anything about us we make deals happen that's how we put food on the table.

I am not promising anything but if I thought this was a waste of time I would not be doing anything.

Thanks for the poll votes and your comments keep them coming good bad or ugly I want to hear them all.

interesting concept, a channel or two to start with sounds like a much more realistic goal than what i have heard others talk about.
for this thing to get off the ground, i would assume that a high demand popular channel would be a necessity to start with, so i would vote espn.
i am not much of a sports fan myself, but i know several people who would get this system immediately for sports.
many people say they couldnt live without espn, but i havent heard that about the other channels in your list.
also people seem to want to watch their sports live, but with tv shows and movies i think people would be more likely to just rent a dvd.
i would love to see something like this started and succeed with hopes of other channels to be added later that i would personally be more interested in,
plus i am sure i could make some money selling and installing these systems.
so even though i am not a sports fan, i have to vote espn.

Last edited:
I'm sure ESPN's present carriers would object. But what could they do? Drop ESPN? My guess is you can't drop ESPN and live to tell about it. But would ESPN play with your a la carte dream?

Wally,

I put in a vote for the Discovery Channel. I don't even know what it is anymore. However, I really didn't care for any of the other choices. I knew they were lame and you couldn't pay me to watch them!

I do not like 99% of the stuff on TV these days. The 1% that I do like comes from PBS.

News? I don't believe any of the reports anymore, too biased. It is like the weather reports. Never right. I'll wait until it happens and then I will know the story. Television is for entertainment. AM radio is for news. FM radio is for music. You have a show on one channel? If it is still there after 11 years, I will look at it and tell you what I think. Anything else, I will wait for it to die and stop stinking.

Sorry. But, I am a hard-nosed critic. The last movie I viewed in a theater was Star Trek, The Motion Picture in 1980 (released 1979). Maybe that gives you an idea of my television watching habits. I am still back around the 60's and 70's trying to sort out good movies from bad. Todays movies aren't even worth the trouble and neither are the sit - coms.

You like 'em, you watch 'em. I'll run reruns of "RAWHIDE".

I don't mean to be critical of your personal opinion, I just hate what they feed us today for entertainment and I refuse to watch any of it, period! Even sports.

The newest movie I have on DVD is "2001 A Space Odyssey".

LOL! (Okay, you know I am funning you on that one) but you get my drift.

RADAR

I voted for ESPN. I'll refrain from going on another rant about taking Monday Night Football off OTA.

usa by far is what i watch series wise, the fox news would be a close second, followed by the educational tv channels (HIS,HI,DIS, etc).... the rest are dead air space to me

Thanks everyone almost 100 votes :)

Educational channel or small package like Discovery and The Learning channel or anything on going green.

Status
Please reply by conversation.