what channels

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's why there are 500 of them. My gold is your crap and vica-versa.

I don't see much good coming from this thread. :(

im just curious, there are some cery low rated channels out there
this article got me thinking

Cable's Least Wanted: 10 channels that could be replaced by Al Jazeera and no one would care - KansasCity.com

So, with help from Adgate, I compiled a list of what I’m calling Cable’s Least Wanted, 10 channels that have been in existence at least three years — in most cases, much longer — and their prime-time nightly average for fourth quarter 2010:

Current (18,000 households)
DIY (80,000 households)
ESPN Classic (19,000 households)
Fox Soccer Channel (33,000 households)
GAC (49,000 households)
Logo (39,000 households)
Outdoor (46,000 households)
RFD-TV (56,000 households)
Sleuth (81,000 households)
VH1 Classic (31,000 households)

To offer some baselines, top-rated ESPN averaged 2.683 million households, third-place news channel CNN 354,000 households, perennial BET challenger TV One 151,000 households and Fox Business, the home of Don Imus, averaged 39,000 households in fourth quarter 2010 (Fox Biz hasn’t been around long enough to make the least-wanted list). It’s worth noting that Discovery Health averaged 195,000 households in its last ratings period before it was merged with FitTV to make way for the Oprah Winfrey Network.

If you were to go to my parent's house you would think DIY is the most popular channel on TV. That is pretty much all they watch.

On that list, VH1 classic is the one I watch the most. Actually I only watch "That Metal Show"

But therin lies the problem. There may only be 33k households watching FOX Soccer, but they are devout and faithful. They are also a good target audience for an advertiser.

The problem we have when we focus too much on ratings is that every cable channel tries to steal viewers from other popular channels. In doing that, they lose sight of their original purpose and the content starts to be just like everyone else. I really don't need 500 ESPNs, or 500 USAs, and that seems to be where we are going.

When was the last time you saw a music video on MTV? Why has TVLand started doing game shows and original sitcoms?

Another trend is that the broadcast folks are starting to program for their cable channels and put what used to be cable fodder on their broadcast channels. Compare NBC's lineup to the original series on their USA channel. ABC vs ABC Family. One could make a statement that this could be an effort to kill the broadcast channels and force cable subscriptions. With the line bluring between networks and carriers, I can see this escalating.

This is a list of the top household, not the top ratings. IOW, it is dependent on which package each channel is in and how many sub to those particular packages. It also depends on how many companies carry these particular stations. ESPN Classic for example had a higher number of households when it was in a basic package. Now that is it in higher packages with most providers, the number of households that can receive the channel goes down.

Ratings are different from households. Something like CNN is offered in most households because they make deals to be placed in low packages with most providers, but that does not mean people actually watch it.

do you think should not exist or consider useless?

A question with a very slippery slope.......downhill....

I actually read the whole article you linked, and I think the writer is an idiot, with a poorly thought out argument. For one thing, their prime viewing times may not be prime time, which is the only time this idiot took into consideration. Fox Soccer Channel shows live matches LIVE, not necessarily in Prime Time. Other networks may get higher viewership at other times of the day. DIY, for example. The whole premise by the writer is poor.

I think there would be a large outcry from the viewers of ANY of those channels, if they got dropped for Al Jazeera.

Last edited:
I think as long as they have an audience and it's a viable business any channel should exist. It would be pretty presumptuous of me to think that just because I don't don't watch a channel it should go dark.

I think as long as they have an audience and it's a viable business any channel should exist. It would be pretty presumptuous of me to think that just because I don't don't watch a channel it should go dark.

I agree, just as long as I don't have to pay for it... :)

but your paying for channels you dont watch
thats what im getting to. how many channels do you mind paying for if you dont watch them?
if its a viable business then the channels wouldnt mind the ala carte

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts