What Dish do I need for Locals?

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Now as most of you know I haven't been following the satellite industry at all recently but am starting to get back into it. Well I currently have a Dish 500 with quad lnb. What dish will I need to get locals? I know people used to use to Superdish but it is to my understanding that that is no longer being used? Also for the quad lnb will I have to buy the dish with the standard one and then upgrade or can you get them with that already on it?

Well I called Dishstore and it looks like I can get just the Dish 1000 and get locals and get a splitter thing that will split it so I can use the dual lnb with my 721 and 501. I was ready to go on the site and order but now am not sure if I should order today or wait until Dec. 1st and see if my distant networks really get cut off. I'm hoping they don't as I don't want all the local channels I only want this one so I don't really want to pay $6 when I am paying $1.50 now. I can't decide if I should go ahead and get the dish or if I should wait and see if they really have to cut the dns off then.

Ok I've about decided to go ahead and get the Dish 1000. Do I need to get another mount for this or will the one from my Dish 500 work? I've never installed a superdish or dish 1000 so I have no idea if I will need anything else. Thanks for all the help guys.

A Dish1000 is a little wider than a D500 but uses the same post

If you've seen the Triple LNB dishes from DirecTV (Phase III) it looks like that

The mast should work fine... however provided your geographical position, it may not be adequate as the 129 sat rides at a lower elevetion as opposed to the 119&110 sats. The 129 is a lowered powered sat also, a good signal strength should be between 70 and 80,
Depending if you are using an old reciever(i.e. legacy equitment,3900 series, ect.)
you would need a dish pro adapter for the 129 sat, also a 3/4 dish pro switch (i.e. three sat inputs, four receiver outputs...) a dual LNB and a Twin LNB....
If you have a newer receiver,,,-pretty much anything with three digits(ex. 301,311,211,ect..) you will have to use Pro Plus equitment.... Confused yet?
Ok take your Dual LNB place it in the 119 slot of the dish 1000,,, buy a Satbuddy, or similar signal meter,,,check your elevation/azumith on the receiver, make sure your dish is set according to your zip code... peak in until the 119 is maxed... move dual LNB to 129 position on dish 1000, secure with screw.. position dish until 129 sat is at highest strength....you know what... read the damn manual.. i'm finished.. it tells you right their everything you need to know

Well I ordered the Dish 1000 but Dish called me today offering to come out with a Dish 1000 free of charge. I decided to go ahead and do that and send the other one back when I get it. I really hate to do that to Dish store but I don't want to spend $100 and have an extra dish laying around. Thankfully Dishstore.net is soo great to work with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts