What dish is used to receive standard programming?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am now debating on mounting the dish on a small deck or a pole mount. If I remember correctly, a 2" od pole is needed? If I mount it on my deck, I am questioning if I will need any support braces. The location of the deck is protected by my house, and I would be mounting the dish about waist level so the back is protected from wind by the elevated deck and house. I have been looking around and most people around me have a support or 2, but those dishes are more out in the open. There are also a fair amount of pole mounts too.
the dish is heavy so unless its a pole mount you'll need the braces

Now speaking of FTA, I wonder if I could use my Fortec receiver to aim the Slimline?

no. DirecTV uses DSS whereas the FTA receivers are DVB ;)

ah thats ok....I will use the receivers meter to aim :) I would do a pole mount, but I can only dig down about 20-24 inches as I have clay soil from about 4" down :(

UPDATE!

I got a call this afternoon that the equipment was ready to pick up. So here is what has happened:

Got 2 new HR23-700 HD DVRs and a Slimline with 3 lnb. No instructions on how to put the dish together, for that matter no instructions whatsoever (the receivers of course have their manual). But that's ok, I have put enough dishes together that I can do them easily.

So, got my spot picked out - my first choice worked! Got the mount all plumb/level. Popped dish on, plugged in receiver - outside with my little tv I use for aiming dishes. Entered my zip, got settings, set dish according to screen. BOOM, 101 locked in - 94%. Switch over to 99 - 89% and 103 85-89%. Spent about 45 minutes going between the 3 birds to peak.

THis was the easiest dish I have ever set up and aimed. Now I just need to run 4 coax lines,some grounding blocks and call in to activate. THANKS to all for your help! :)

THANKS! Of all of the DSS, DTV, DISH< FTA dishes I have set up over the years this one was so easy. I will post pics later....had to stop to eat - hardly had anything today :)

1. DIRECTV does NOT send out equipment to anyone who is not already up and running.

2. If you're planning on a self-install, see #1.

As has been clearly understood by just about everyone but Hemi, Waterloo is a two dish market and it is likely that they will install a slimline as the 101W dish for when the locals get transferred to a Ka satellite.

hmm...guess he got to do a self install afterall :rolleyes:

iafirebuff said:
I got a call this afternoon that the equipment was ready to pick up. So here is what has happened:

Got 2 new HR23-700 HD DVRs and a Slimline with 3 lnb. No instructions on how to put the dish together, for that matter no instructions whatsoever (the receivers of course have their manual). But that's ok, I have put enough dishes together that I can do them easily.

So, got my spot picked out - my first choice worked! Got the mount all plumb/level. Popped dish on, plugged in receiver - outside with my little tv I use for aiming dishes. Entered my zip, got settings, set dish according to screen. BOOM, 101 locked in - 94%. Switch over to 99 - 89% and 103 85-89%. Spent about 45 minutes going between the 3 birds to peak.

THis was the easiest dish I have ever set up and aimed. Now I just need to run 4 coax lines,some grounding blocks and call in to activate. THANKS to all for your help!

Here are a few pics. Also my signal meter readings: 99w - 95% 101w - 94% 103w - 86%

Attachments

• IMG_0100.jpg
    IMG_0100.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 100
hemi
All of his locals are either HD (which can be downconverted) or added on 99/103 as SD only (for the non-HD ones) so no wing dish is needed

hmm...guess he got to do a self install afterall :rolleyes:
It isn't over until the OP is activated and confirmed that they are receiving the full measure of their subscription, but it looks good so far.

Of course DIRECTV has still sent the OP nothing which is what I said they would do.

I was up and running with ALL channels withing a few minutes after aiming dish :) - Choice Extra HD DVR (or whatever its called) , HBO, SHOW, HD Extra Pack, all Locals in HD. Receiving ALL channels THat I am supposed, NO issues. Going to put the receivers(s) on the home network today and see what all that is about :)

When I spoke with the 1-800-DIRECTV # everytime we called to see about coming back we asked about self install. They said no problem. It also says on Good TV. Better TV. DIRECTV. that you can do self-installs. Not sure what you don't get about being able to self install leased DTV equipment?

Here is from Good TV. Better TV. DIRECTV.

DIRECTV: Support : Installation : Self Installation

Self-installation
Installing your own DIRECTV equipment

We recommend taking advantage of our affordable professional installation. Our customers who engage a pro typically have fewer technical concerns after installation. If you decide to self-install and have questions, please give us a call at 1-800-DIRECTV.

Guides are available online for all current types of DIRECTV equipment.

It isn't over until the OP is activated and confirmed that they are receiving the full measure of their subscription, but it looks good so far.

Of course DIRECTV has still sent the OP nothing which is what I said they would do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Left Dish After 5 Years

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)