what dish network dish gets best signal for one satellite?

performanceisland

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
which one of these will get the best signal on one sat such as only a 61.5 or 148?

1. dish 300 with dp dual lnb?

2. dish 500 with i bracket and dp dual lnb?

3. dish 1000 with using only one dp dual lnb in center of three lnb holder

4. superdish using the 119lnb?

or

5. dish 1000 plus using the 119lnb?

maybe you can tell me from best to worst signal also? greatly appreciated. i would guess its as simple as from the biggest dish to smallest, but they differ in height and width as well. for example a dish 300 dish is taller then a dish 1000 dish, but the 1000 dish is wider then the dish 300, that is why i am asking. thanks for any input on this.

Last edited:
a) matter of surface - count sq inches
b) a ratio (gain vs money) is better for 18" or 20" - you find it everywhere, sometimes for free
c) location ?

practically, your best bet on 1 or 2

i'd go with either the 300 or 500... i know the other ones have more surface area, but they also have more of a wind load... i'f rather have the smaller dish that isnt going to get blown around as much

What are you trying to accomplish? For better signal a 36 inch dish is way better than a 500 dish but it ONLY effects rainfade resistance!

Has zip to do with PQ unless your in the 50s...

chicago area, why does a bigger dish only effect rainfade resistance?

windload can be countered by using support brackets.

lets put it this way, money is no object, not concerned with cheapest route but best, so if sq in surface area then i assume the superdish is the biggest, but isnt a very big dish overdoing it, meaning will it actually have a better signal then a dish 500 with i bracket lets say? isnt the signal sent only so wide in diamater (and i assume it is round)? where at a certain point your dish gettting bigger just isnt going to help anymore?

also does anyone have a link to post on dish sizes for all these dish network dishes maybe?

and if the superdish does provide best signal because of the more surface area, then there is the question of whcih is better, the type 1 metal, or type 2 fiberglass?

Last edited:
OK, you can find phiysical dimensions here - look at threads with news about the SD I and II. 36" (1m) is the size of FCC OTARD limit - if you own family home - no limits for you; practically you will have no advantage after 1m or 1.2m .

Hrm... if you get your dish LARGE enough like the one on James Bond: Golden Eye then you don't ever have to worry about anything in this world blocking your signal strength. You could build your house INSIDE your dish complete with a garden, a few fruit trees, a nice garage and a small pond.

Edit: I did the installation for that movie. They only wanted one TV hooked up so it didn't pay well ~ $80. But they did tip me $1.7 million. Had to do a wall fish. Bleh.

Last edited:
chicago area, why does a bigger dish only effect rainfade resistance?

Because, that's all it does.

I'm using a D300 to pick up 61.5 from almost the same location as you. I get mid-90s on my signal strengths. Mid-90s produces a perfect, locked-in picture.

When it rains the signal starts dropping. A strong thunderstorm will knock it down to below 50 and I'll lose the signal. This can fall all the way to 0.

If you are using a larger dish, then it would perform better during a hard rain, although it can still lose signal lock if the storm is strong enough. Other than this, the performance will be exactly the same.

A signal of 110 will produce the exact same picture as one of 90 or one of 70.

So if you want to minimize rain fade, and pick up maybe another 30 minutes or so of TV a year, then go with a 36" dish. Otherwise go with a D300 or D500 w/I-mount.

I mount

Where can one get I-mount adapters? I have 2 dish 500's that use the Y mount and I would like to get a couple of the I mounts to use for the full illuminate the full 500's surface area.

which one of these will get the best signal on one sat such as only a 61.5 or 148?

1. dish 300 with dp dual lnb?

2. dish 500 with i bracket and dp dual lnb?

3. dish 1000 with using only one dp dual lnb in center of three lnb holder

4. superdish using the 119lnb?

or

5. dish 1000 plus using the 119lnb?

maybe you can tell me from best to worst signal also? greatly appreciated. i would guess its as simple as from the biggest dish to smallest, but they differ in height and width as well. for example a dish 300 dish is taller then a dish 1000 dish, but the 1000 dish is wider then the dish 300, that is why i am asking. thanks for any input on this.

I have found with some experimenting that a Stupid Dish with its skew taken out will give about 10% more signal on a single satellite than a Dish 500 with its skew engaged on the same satellite.
For whatever its worth. :hungry:

Hrm... if you get your dish LARGE enough like the one on James Bond: Golden Eye then you don't ever have to worry about anything in this world blocking your signal strength. You could build your house INSIDE your dish complete with a garden, a few fruit trees, a nice garage and a small pond.

Edit: I did the installation for that movie. They only wanted one TV hooked up so it didn't pay well ~ $80. But they did tip me $1.7 million. Had to do a wall fish. Bleh.
They always want the wall fish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts