What dish to buy for eastern arc?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rwjga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 25, 2005
Asheville, NC
I currently have a hopper connected to a western arc dish and a dish 500 for 61.5 locals via a 4 way switch. I would like to just move to the eastern arc to get rid of the extra dish. In looking at various sites I see 1000.4 eastern arc advertised. These all seem to be gray in color and the new installs I see seem to be using ones that are black. Is the black one's a 1000.4 or something else? Does the hopper work with the 1000.4? Is the black one better for some reason?

Yes, the near black one is still a 1000.4. I personally hate them because they are more obnoxious when viewed against the daytime sky. There is no change in performance, though I should think they would heat up more than the grey. Of course the Hopper will work just fine with a 1000.4.

I second the 1000.2 EA dish that does not get 77. Unless you need foreign language programming it is much easier to work with.

About 2 weeks ago Dish replaced my EA gray 1000.4 with a black 1000.2.

The 1000.2 is slightly smaller & gets only 72 & 61.5. As mentioned above it does not get 77 which the tech said I do not need unless I get a foreign language program package.

FWIW I'm getting a slightly higher SS with the 1000.2, and that was after he tweaked the alignment on the 1000.4. I don't know if the shape of the 1000.2 dish has less compromises because it's designed to pickup only 2 satellites. Hopefully the better SS will help a bit with rain fade. I asked the tech how to safely remove snow since my dish is 2 stories up. I've only had 1 snow/ice problem during 2 winters & it lasted only overnight. He said maybe the black dish will absorb more sunlight/heat which might help melt any snow.

Not really except I enjoy knowing how things work and I don't have to depend on Dish to come to repair it when something goes wrong like last year went an animal of some kind knocked my dish out the night before the super bowl.

If you have a dpp twin, you can use it on the D500 for 61.5/72.7. It works very well.

If you have a dpp twin, you can use it on the D500 for 61.5/72.7. It works very well.

That works? I have a twin yoke but only one LNB. All I would have to do is add an LNB. I guess the alinement would remain the same? This doesn't give you signal loss every little rain storm?

500 works but is not ideal. 1000.2 EA Twin would be a better investment.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

The D500 for 61.5/72.7 is not perfect but you do get a very acceptable signal level. I used this set-up at my daughter's house for a year until I acquired a 1000.4 dish for her. No problems with rain fade other than the occasional loss of signal from a heavy thunderstorm. If you have the parts, try it and if you don't like the SS, go for the 1000.4 or 1000.2.

Last edited:
I second the 1000.2 EA dish that does not get 77. Unless you need foreign language programming it is much easier to work with.

Sat 77 also carries some local stations, not in the Ashville, NC area, however. Also, to me, a 1000.4 is easier to aim.

Thanks to everyone. I found a "deal" on a 1000.2 so I am going that route. All of the info provided was helpful.

It depends on where you are located. I'm in Los Angeles and had to go to the eastern arc route to get HD. Earlier I had the EA 1000.2 and got signals in the lower 10's to 15's. This was done by a Dish Installer. He was reluctant stating that eastern arc does not work for the west coast. I purchased the 1000.4 Black Eastern Arc with three LNB's and my primary target was to get 61.5 and 72.7 good. The signals on 72.7 were at about 35's and 61.5 at about 45's. As a matter off fact 77 was also coming in at 38's. I can safely conclude the three lnb's 1000.4 dish gets slightly higher signals specially on the west coast. There are black 1000.4's. I can take a picture of mine if you like.

We've installed hundreds of 1000.4's and 1000.2's and the 1000.2's generally give a little bit better signal, at least here in the east they do. And like was said before the 1000.2's are easier to align.

We've installed hundreds of 1000.4's and 1000.2's and the 1000.2's generally give a little bit better signal, at least here in the east they do. And like was said before the 1000.2's are easier to align.

I just gave the 1000.2 dish set away a few days back to the installer for free and I told him that the 1000.2 does not peak at good signals. I have the AI Turbo S2 and no matter what I tried I couldn't get the numbers to go to the 20's. With the 1000.4, I expected a slight increase and it was easy to align as well. My main focus was 61.5 and 72.7. 77 was not what I even attempted to hit and that too came in just fine.

In my opinion, if you are still targetting 61.5 and 72.7, the 1000.4 should get higher numbers as the dish is larger. Offcourse it was designed for 77 as well. I hope dish moves the internationals to 77 from 118 so we could have a single dish solution but that is a separate topic all together.

61.5 now has open spots for the California area. Dish should officially allow the EA arch to be installed in the West coast for people with LOS issues. 61.5 was the main dish in the earlier days for international programming along with 148.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts