What do I loose if I keep my 921

tlturbo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Lake Worth, FL
Sorry to probably beat a dead horse but I have been gone from the board for some time and just heard about this issue with the old VS new HD receivers. I went back 10 pages looking for an explanation but all I can find is discussions on a trade-in or upgrade deal.

I have a 921 ($1000 for almost 2 years) and an older 510 DVR that records to disk but isn't HD. The 921 has a few quirks but is livable and has served me well.

What situation am I going to be in if I just maintain the status quo. I watch HD on the OTA channels and don't have a HD pack because there was never anything (or enough) on it to warrent it. I also watch Pay per View movies and don't have any Premium Movie services.

Can someone please gived me a brief synopsis of this whole situation?
Could I keep the 921 and trade in the old 510?

Thanks again and sorry if this was discussed, I couldn't find it.

Since you don't get the HD pak you will lose (not loose) NOTHING.

Unless you decide to get the HD package you have no need to upgrade to a mpeg4 receiver. OTA HD will always be mpeg2.

You'd be better off selling the 510 if you own it as E* will only give a $25 trade in credit.

tlturbo said:
Sorry to probably beat a dead horse but I have been gone from the board for some time and just heard about this issue with the old VS new HD receivers. I went back 10 pages looking for an explanation but all I can find is discussions on a trade-in or upgrade deal.

I have a 921 ($1000 for almost 2 years) and an older 510 DVR that records to disk but isn't HD. The 921 has a few quirks but is livable and has served me well.

What situation am I going to be in if I just maintain the status quo. I watch HD on the OTA channels and don't have a HD pack because there was never anything (or enough) on it to warrent it. I also watch Pay per View movies and don't have any Premium Movie services.

Can someone please gived me a brief synopsis of this whole situation?
Could I keep the 921 and trade in the old 510?

Thanks again and sorry if this was discussed, I couldn't find it.

So you don't have any HD programming through DISH? Strictly OTA? If you want the HD Pack I'm sure they'll make you subscribe to one of the new HD packages that just came out vs the old since they're not available anymore, and if you use your 921 you will lose nothing since you didn't have any HD other than OTA to begin with. What your 921 will be able to see is ESPN, Discovery, TNT, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBO and Showtime if you subscribe to the HD pack and movie channels, and some voom channels. If you want Universal HD, ESPN2, more voom and more channels yet to come you need to get a 622.

If you wait til' April, as mentioned in other threads, you can trade in your 921 for $99. If you want it now it's $299. And this is a lease. If you want to buy you'll have to go through dishstore.net or dishdepot.com or a retailer.

Last edited:
Also note..

hdtvdeprived said:
So you don't have any HD programming through DISH? Strictly OTA? If you want the HD Pack I'm sure they'll make you subscribe to one of the new HD packages that just came out vs the old since they're not available anymore, and if you use your 921 you will lose nothing since you didn't have any HD other than OTA to begin with. What your 921 will be able to see is ESPN, Discovery, TNT, HDNet, HDNet Movies, HBO and Showtime if you subscribe to the HD pack and movie channels, and some voom channels. If you want Universal HD, ESPN2, more voom and more channels yet to come you need to get a 622.

If you wait til' April, as mentioned in other threads, you can trade in your 921 for $99. If you want it now it's $299. And this is a lease. If you want to buy you'll have to go through dishstore.net or dishdepot.com or a retailer.

This trade in deal also requires a 18 month commitment which is BIG and not oftened mentioned.... Gerry