No "Season Pass"?

Mike Hayden

Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
I've been toying with the idea of changing to E* from D* due to the additional HD programming. But I read the E* DVR's do not the equivalent of the Tivo Season Pass. Is this true? This is a wonderful feature for when your show gets moved around or has changing start times. Please say it isn't so.

In 10 months of usage, I've yet to have a single timer misfire with my 942(DishPass, manual, etc.). I must admit that I've never used Tivo, but I have used several cable HD DVRs and TVGOS and the 942 EPG/NBR rocks! It is the only electronic device in our home that has 100% wife acceptance factor (WAF). For example: when the winter Olypics bumped Jay Leno back an hour or so the 942 adjusted without missing a beat, while the Sony HD DVR (TVGOS) crapped all over itself. Again, I haven't missed anything with the Dish HD DVR.

Bear in mind this is with those receivers (942/622/522/625) that have NBR.

It's not on the 501/508/510/721/921(?).

I just got my first NBR enabled DVR (622), and it seems to fit the bill :)

LER

Season Pass = Timer

Wishlist = DishPass

The 622 blows the HDTivo away. Recording 3 shows (2 Sat and 1 OTA) while watching 2 shows in different rooms is just awesome. I have not missed DirecTV one bit and neither has the Wife.

SimpleSimon said:
Been promised on the 501/508/510 for MANY months. I say it'll never happen.
I agree i waited what seemed like forever then i finally was driven away from the company via Audit team
although i think it will come maybe when yes net does haha

scooby2 said:
Season Pass = Timer

Wishlist = DishPass

The 622 blows the HDTivo away. Recording 3 shows (2 Sat and 1 OTA) while watching 2 shows in different rooms is just awesome. I have not missed DirecTV one bit and neither has the Wife.

Tivo season pass records all episodes but is limited to a single channel, its not a simple timer.

I have not used the dishpass but the wish list can be based on a title to record a show on multiple channels or it can be done by theme or actor or whatever

kb7oeb said:
Tivo season pass records all episodes but is limited to a single channel, its not a simple timer.

I have not used the dishpass but the wish list can be based on a title to record a show on multiple channels or it can be done by theme or actor or whatever

The dishpass works similar. IT can be done by title /info/exact match and it can be limited to one channel or all over the whole satellite system. You can also limit the amount of episodes that will be saved as well before it is recorded over.

Before you take the Dish plunge, you should do your research. I don't want to sound too negative, but I'll tell you my experience. I had a DirecTiVo for years before getting the 942 in May of 2005. Since that time, I’ve had to reboot the receiver more than 60 times. I’ve missed more than 30 programs due to guide glitches or unexplained phenomenon. With my DirecTiVo, I rebooted maybe once every 6 months and I recall only one missed recording the entire time I owned it. I know one person stated he never had any problems with missed programs on his 942. Well, I guess he's lucky.

There are positives to the Dish 942. It does have three tuners (two sat tuners and one OTA) so you can record three things at once; however, you can only record one OTA (abc, nbc, cbs, fox) show at a time. So, for example if you want to record two HD shows over OTA at the same time on different channels, you simple can't. You'll have to choose which one you want to record in HD. The other one you'll have to record in SD. Although, Dish has recently been offering satellite HD locals for some of the large metropolitan areas using the new receiver (vip622). Just depends on where you live. Also, the Dish 942 has a much faster guide and setting up Timers/Dishpasses is significantly faster than DirecTiVo.

Anyway, to answer you original question, a Timer is roughly equivalent to the Season's Pass. However, when you set a Timer to only record "new" shows, the definition of new is not the same as with TiVo. With TiVo, a new show means a show is well, NEW for the broadcast season. With Dish, a new show means a show is new for the current calendar year.

The Dishpass is kind of like a Wishlist, but has limitations. You cannot filter a Dishpass using themes (Movies, Biographies, Sports, etc.) and it's limited to only 15 characters.

Last edited:
MPeltz, I don't think my 942 ever missed a program. I had other issues with my box but it never missed a recording.

I think they changed the behavior of "New" to more closely match what TiVo does. If the show is flagged as a new episode it'll get recorded. You can see this on the program info.

I like that I can pad the recording time on the 942 run later as well as start earlier. I seem to remember my TiVo had a problem starting earlier.

I find the "timer" function quite equivalent to TiVo's "Season Pass".

voripteth said:
MPeltz, I don't think my 942 ever missed a program. I had other issues with my box but it never missed a recording.

I think they changed the behavior of "New" to more closely match what TiVo does. If the show is flagged as a new episode it'll get recorded. You can see this on the program info.

I like that I can pad the recording time on the 942 run later as well as start earlier. I seem to remember my TiVo had a problem starting earlier.

I find the "timer" function quite equivalent to TiVo's "Season Pass".
I've hot a 635, and a 942. The 625 automatically records 1 minute early, and 3 minutes after for episodes and whatnot, and 30 minutes after the scedualed time for sports events.

The 942 does not do this, which is somewhat annoying. If I forget to manually do this for each event/timer, I'll often playback a show to find that I missed the first minute or so of a TV episode.

I've had both a stand alone series 2 Tivo and the following dish dvrs;

7100 dishplayer
501/508/510
721/921
522/625/
942 and now the new 622

The 622 and the 942 are the best hd dvrs that Dish has ever made. The 522 and the 625 are the best sd dvrs that Dish makes. THe 622 provides customers the preference to do hd or sd based on what tv they have. Cool and forward thinking on Dish's part.

I like the 942/622 interface and the ability to record three things at a time. In all I perfer the Dish vip dvr to anything that Tivo made. YES presently the 622 has a vew audio/video quirks but it will soon be resolved via software update SOON , I hope.

If you take the time to read the manual that comes with it you will see that it does give you all the directions you need to figure out the way to record. The timers created from the guide are just like a season pass without having to press a whole lot of submenus to create. It gives you all the options to record new vs all or weekly or Mon thru Friday or daily. It allows you to set the channel you want it to record on and the amount to save before it records over it.

The dish pass is similar with it's ablilty as I outlined in the post a few posts back, but it basically a wish list . I figured out how to create a timer just by playing with it for a few minutes. The dishpass I figured out by trial and error. I don't use this feature unless I limit it to one channel, otherwise it will record every episode of the show I select on all the channels in the satellite system.

The one thing that Dish has not done on the 942/622 is the Tivo like Suggestions . THANK GOD! I hated this feature and I hated to try to teach the damn receiver what I liked and disliked. It cluttered my hard drive full of crap and it turned the channels all the time if I was watching something live.

I also did not like the way the picture quality degraded with a stand alone Tivo. The 622 has excellent pq on hd and in my opinion good picture quality on sd channels. As far as reliablity of recordings with the 942 and the 622, I have had no problems with this except when Stargate Alantis had the old information listed and not the present year listed. This was corrected within 2 weeks. The work around was to change from new to all and to limit the number of episodes to one. THis was a guide information error and from what I 've read of both Tivo and Directivos , this happens with their service as well from time to time.

If you like Tivo you will like the 622 receiver. It is the best of Tivo and Dish without all the bad things that both previous generation of receivers had wrong with them.:D