What do I lose if I switch from 722 to 922?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lbeck

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
I'm considering upgrading 722 -> 922 for the sling function that will allow me to watch TV on my iPad. But I recall when the 922 first came out that there was something that I would lose. something dealing with the ability to watch different programming on different TV's or something like that. But I can't remember.

Help me out.

thanks

Dish Pass timers?
not entirely true there. you can still use Dish Pass timers, you just can't set them directly on the 922. you must use Dishonline or Dish Remote Access. same applies with manual timers too.

also you lose $4 out of your wallet. i like my 922 but i don't like the $10 DVR fee.

Your sanity?

Really I would not recommend the 922 to anyone now. Wait for the Hopper/Joey deal first. The 722 does more than the 922 and probably will continue to do so. You pay more in monthly fees for the 922 for more recording time and fancy menus...

You can add a sling adapter to the 722/722k.

I believe the sling adapter rebate is going on until the end of January. You pay $99 for the adapter, then you get a $99 visa gift card as the rebate.

Contact a DIRT member.

lamo normally when you get the higher model number it is more expensive and has more features. With the 922 you get the highest price-lowest working features of dish's receivers stay with the 722 no need to signup for anger management classes by getting a 922.

For me it is simple, I upgraded from a 622 thinking I was getting a more advanced reciever. Stability is terrible, key features the 622/722K had do not exst. The reciever has been out over one year and these are not fixed. I will wait for the next software and than move back to the 722K or direct tv. I have been with Dish for 14 years, I always buy thier latest reciever, this is the third time I have been burned in doing so, my experiece is if when they launch a really bad product they never really fix it before eventually coming out with a new one and giving up on the old one, it sure appears the 922 is in that category. Like I said one more update with blockbuster pass and if all features are not fixed than I am done.

I haven't seen anything positive here regarding the 922 so I guess I'll keep my 722.

What I'd really like to do is to watch HDTV in an adjacent room and the 722 will only deliver HD to TV1. Is it possible to use a sling adapter to send a signal to the 2nd TV and is there a receiving adapter with a HDMI cable to attach to the 2nd TV?

I would wait until the next update comes out and read the reviews. Personally my 922 has been pretty good. Since my upgrade last summer I have had
probably 4 reboots that were unexpected. Slinging via Dishonline has been ok. I find the Dishonline to be more buggy than the sling itself. It is a whole
new learning experience though and it will take time to get used to the new UI and nuances of the hopper lite OS. Pretty soon the market for this receiver
as well as the 622 and 722 will shrink to nill once people start upgrading their 2nd TV's to HD. This is at best a Stop Gap for those wanting the Hopper
UI without paying for HD on all TV's. I like the term that has been used before. Hindsight being 20/20 this receiver is and was always just a beta test
for those tech junkies that Dish always new would be there.

Last edited:
I'm considering upgrading 722 -> 922 "What do I lose?"
thanks
If you love Dish, you will lose that love. I can't believe I'm at directv right now picking out my equipment. I never thought I'd leave, but the 922 and Dish' handling of it has driven me to hating the company. That's what I lost when I "upgraded"..well, that and $200 cash.

I was going to say "you will lose your sanity", but the post above gets the point across. :)

I would wait until the next update comes out and read the reviews. Personally my 922 has been pretty good. Since my upgrade last summer I have had
probably 4 reboots that were unexpected. Slinging via Dishonline has been ok. I find the Dishonline to be more buggy than the sling itself. It is a whole
new learning experience though and it will take time to get used to the new UI and nuances of the hopper lite OS. Pretty soon the market for this receiver
as well as the 622 and 722 will shrink to nill once people start upgrading their 2nd TV's to HD. This is at best a Stop Gap for those wanting the Hopper
UI without paying for HD on all TV's. I like the term that has been used before. Hindsight being 20/20 this receiver is and was always just a beta test
for those tech junkies that Dish always new would be there.

Same here I knew when I got my 301,then bought a 811 that was the way DISH was so no surprise;)

If you love Dish, you will lose that love. I can't believe I'm at directv right now picking out my equipment. I never thought I'd leave, but the 922 and Dish' handling of it has driven me to hating the company. That's what I lost when I "upgraded"..well, that and $200 cash.

Just don't go with one of DirecTV's new receivers or you will be in for deja vu.The only thing better is DirecTV's Cutting Edge program which seems to get out upgrades quicker.:eek:;)

P.S. So far I don't hate any company,but I don't love any either.The 922 is a work in progress for those who have them.Know that and the rest is History.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)