what do i need to get all channels on Dish

rick12

Original poster
Aug 14, 2004
Dish pro 500 dish

I have a 5000 and a 2700 receiver and I want to upgrade to 500 will the Dish pro dish work with my receivers?

A dish 500 means a 20" dish designed to receive a signal from the 110 & 119 satellites. The DISH 500 can have either Legacy or DISH PRO electronics on it. Your receivers are LEGACY receivers so you want Legacy electronics on a DISH 500. Your receivers will work with DISH PRO electronics but you will need a DISH PRO ADAPTER for each receiver at $70 each. http://www.switchinfo.info/index.htm will help you out I think.

The "DP" in DP301 and DP311 mean Dishpro,,correct? I need a "Dishpro" 500 dish for these models? Just double checking.

MarkG
Yes the DP stands for DishPro. A quick way to tell if a E* receiver is DishPro compatible is to check the model number. If it is 3 digits long (eg. 301, 721, 811 etc.) it's DishPro if it is 4 digits long (eg, 5000, 4700, 7200 etc.) it is a legacy receiver.

DishPro receivers will work with any Dish Network LNB/Switch, Legacy or DishPro.

Legacy receivers will work with Legacy LNB/Switches natively. They can be made to work with DishPro LNB/Switches with the use of DishPro/Legacy adapters ~$70 each, or by using a DPP44 Switch.

K R Kimmel,,good info thanks. Here is a followup. Since a DP 301 or 311 will work with either DP LNBs or Legacy LNBs,is there any benefit to use the DP LNB over the Lagacy LNB ?? Other than not working with Lagacy receivers,whats the difference?

MarkG said:
K R Kimmel,,good info thanks. Here is a followup. Since a DP 301 or 311 will work with either DP LNBs or Legacy LNBs,is there any benefit to use the DP LNB over the Lagacy LNB ?? Other than not working with Lagacy receivers,whats the difference?
DISH's current production is DISH PRO products, Legacy is still being supported but at some time in the future will no longer be supported. :)

MarkG said:

DishPro is a little more user friendly when it comes to more than the 2 satellites. If you are hooking up 3 satellites (110, 119 and 61.5 or 148), with DishPro its 3 lines to the switch...With Legacy its 6 lines :)

DishPro is a newer, more capable technology. Cable runs can be up to 200' vs. 100' for legacy. Easier connectivity between LNBs and Switches (1 cable per sat location vs. 2 per sat location for legacy). Easier connectivity for multiple receivers using DPP44 and/or DP34 switches (daisy chain up to 3 switches together for up to 12 receivers vs. interconnecting a maximum of 2 SW64 switches using satellite rated splitters and current passing or blocking {I don't remember witch} connectors)

If yours will be a new setup using all DishPro receivers then I would definitely go with the DishPro LNB/Splitters. If you will be using any legacy receivers or if you currently have a legacy LNB/Splitter setup the question becomes more complicated. There will be a cost/benefit trade off to upgrading to DishPro that will be determined by your exact situation.

K R: I assume you are referring to the DPP Separator when you say "Splitter".

Note that a DP Splitter is a different device for a different purpose.

It's best to not confuse such things. :)

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :eek: :eek:

*beats self over head with whiffleball bat while chanting*
DishPro Plus Separator!
DishPro Plus Separator!
DishPro Plus Separator!
*puts down whiffleball bat*

I hate it when people don't use the correct terminology!!

Yes Simon I did mean the DPP Separator.

*picking up the bat again*
BAD Kent!
BAD Kent!
*puts down the bat again*

I'm better now.

I did get it right in this thread before I saw this your post here. Does that count for something? :cool:

Well, DishPro stuff has a big "DP" logo on it. Use the Check Switch screen on the receiver and see what it says. Post that back and we can tell you what to buy so that moving your receiver will be painless. :)

The issue is that is the two setups are not the same, you have to run Check Switch EVERY time you move the stuff - and worse, if one setup is DP and the other is not, you have to reset the box's switch matrix to avoid burning out the Legacy LNBFs due to the voltage differences between the 2 systems. It doesn't happen a lot, but we're just going to avoid the whole problem. :)

New 921 install...smooth...

Cheapest way to get Superdish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)