What do I need?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ilkeeper

Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
I have an old 9 or 10 foot fiberglass dish that hasn't been used in years, and a tracker system 4 receiver. I'm able to receive just a couple of stations on c-band, nothing on ku, not sure if the ku lnb is bad or if I need this upgraded. What will I need to buy ( upgrade ) to be able to get fta mpeg2 stations, hd reception would also be nice, and also I would like to be able to hook my dish network receiver inline so I could receive my ( legal ) programming with this same dish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.......

Can you take a peek under the hood (LNB cover) and get some numbers off your old LNBs?
The guys here will recognize decent ones from ... what's a polite way to put this: obsolete trash. - :rolleyes:
(no offense intended - I got two BUDs this past weekend, and one had two trash receivers + LNB)

I'll assume all you can get is analog, and I understand there isn't a whole lot of regular programming left.

I know you can't post pictures yet, but if you have a photo sharing site or RapidShare place, give us some pictures.
Front, back, LNBs, motor, mount, pole, the whole thing.
Most likely, the guys will be able to recognize it, and offer some thoughts.

If the old fiberglass dish is still holding its shape, we can point you to hardware that'll let you piggy back a DVB receiver.
And you can get some recommendations for a good starter receiver, too.
Though, there are numerous threads on this subject, so we might just help ya find some.

As for hooking up Dish receiver, forget it.
Too many problems to make it worth the bother. :)

Thanks for the quick reply.

Unfortunately no cover over lnb. Most info is faded, But this is what I came up with,

ku lnb model 160202 or 160262, Gain 62 db, input 11.7 - 12.2 Ghz, output 960 - 1460 Ghz.

Chaparrel C95 - 25 lnb.

Von Weise V76-5 Motor.

Right now I don't have a way to take pictures, but I will see what I can do.

Get a Mercury Dynamic from Sadoun and a BSC421 or BSC621 off fleabay and you should be good to go. The fiberglass may not have fine enough mesh internally for the BSC621, and it's tricky to set up. Read everything you can here, there is a lot of fine programming available FTA. My advice is not to mix FTA with your DN stuff, run the extra cable if needed. Keep it simple and you will have less trouble down the line.

Get a Mercury Dynamic from Sadoun and a BSC421 or BSC621

I've been trying to understand these different lnb's.

What about the GeoSat C/KU Band LNBF, is this LNBF similar to these other 2 you mentioned, or different?

Thanks.

LNBF info:

The BSC421 is C-band only, single output.
The C1 is C-band only, single output.
The C2 is C-band only, with two outputs for two receivers, or to expand to more via a multiswitch.

The BSC621 is C-band and Ku band.
The Ck-1 is C-band and Ku band, and I'll recommend it ahead of the 621.

Any of the above can be had for under $50.
There is no inexpensive two-band, two-output LNBF solution on the market.
(but if you can spend $200..500, have we got a solution for you!) :eek:

If you already have a c/ku feedhorn, I would just replace the ku-lnb if it's dead, I would not go with a lnbf unless your feedhorn is messed up. And depending on what you sub to on Dish network you mite want to can it and grab a used 4dtv for subs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)