What do I need??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SMS

Original poster
Nov 13, 2005
Hi Guys. I'm new here and have a few questions. I am a former Directv subscriber and dropped them in anticipation of getting Dish Networks HD pack, VOOM and the top60 package. Problem is the screen reading zombie at Dish can't tell me what dish(es) I need, just keeps rambling about HBO etc. All I do know is I need 2. Can I use my existing dual LNB Directv dish as 1 of them? Which one do i need for the other? Thanks
Steve

Don't try to mix D* and E* equipment - more trouble than it's worth.

You do NOT necessarily need two dishes, but we can't advise you without knowing what DMA (city your local channels come from) you are in.

SimpleSimon said:
Don't try to mix D* and E* equipment - more trouble than it's worth.

You do NOT necessarily need two dishes, but we can't advise you without knowing what DMA (city your local channels come from) you are in.

Simon,

Could you explain this further? I have the dish 500 dish on my rooftop and believe that I have heard that I can get my locals via another dish. I also have access to OTA antenna's as I am a D* installer. My locals come from Philladelphia, PA. My zip is 18020.
TIA

D* equipment is equivalent to E* "Legacy" gear. Modern E* gear is "DishPro". They are NOT generally compatible (certain VERY rare exceptions for limited transponder selection do exist).

E* Legacy gear is VERY difficult to go multi-satellite, multi-receiver beyond 3x4, and that requires an old SW64 which is usually a fussy box.

SMS: Per http://www.dishchannelchart.com your locals are on 105. You're going to need a SuperDish. The standard way to add Voom to that is with a second dish pointed at either61.5 or 129. You will also need to either replace the DP34 with a DPP44, or add a DP21 or two cascaded with the DP34. That decision involves even more considerations.

str8poolbanger: "Dish 500" doesn't mean any more than a dish that can receive 110 & 119. It says NOTHING about the types of LNB involved. Again per http://www.dishchannelchart.com most of your locals are on 110. There's a few "garbage" must-carry channels on 61.5. The good thing about that is that if you want them, E* MUST install the 61.5 dish for free, and just by coincidence, that will also give you access to the Voom channels. Just do NOT ask for Voom until AFTER they've given you the 61.5 dish. ;)

What if i don't want locals from the dish? Can I use just 1 dish then? If so, which one? I have a good antenna, so i really dont want dish locals.Sorry for the questions, but this info is hard to get anywhere else!
Steve

SimpleSimon said:
str8poolbanger: "Dish 500" doesn't mean any more than a dish that can receive 110 & 119. It says NOTHING about the types of LNB involved. Again per http://www.dishchannelchart.com most of your locals are on 110. There's a few "garbage" must-carry channels on 61.5. The good thing about that is that if you want them, E* MUST install the 61.5 dish for free, and just by coincidence, that will also give you access to the Voom channels. Just do NOT ask for Voom until AFTER they've given you the 61.5 dish. ;)

Simon, again being a big newb to the dish HD thing let alone installing it with OTA's for my D* custys.... If I get this other free dish installed...will that allow my locals to be received in HD or being that it is E*, will i need the OTA?

TIA and for your patience.

str8poolbanger said:
...will that allow my locals to be received in HD or being that it is E*, will i need the OTA?
Dish does not offer any locals in HD (other than CBS in NY and LA) so you will need the extra dish for Voom and you will also need an OTA antenna for digital locals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)