What do I return to Dish?

Trav

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
I'm nearing my 1 year commitment with Dish and I'm thinking about cancelling and perhaps switching to D* or cable. I'm on the DHA plan with the 522 receiver. When I cancel, what do I have to do? I assume I have to return the dish, the switch, and the 522 receiver. What about the wiring? There's wiring that they installed that runs through my basement and up to my living room and into the 522 - do I have to return this as well?

Do I have to have the equipment removed by the installer I used when I signed up with Dish or can I do it myself? Do I return the equipment to my local Dish installer, or do I have to ship it somewhere?

Thanks!

You need to return just the lnb on the dish, any switches, receivers, and remotes. All the wirings and dish itself you keep. You are also expected to do this yourself so that's not a problem. When you cancel, dish will send you boxes in which you ship the stuff back to them.

BFG said:
You need to return just the lnb on the dish, any switches, receivers, and remotes. All the wirings and dish itself you keep. You are also expected to do this yourself so that's not a problem. When you cancel, dish will send you boxes in which you ship the stuff back to them.
I'll just add prepaid shipping boxes back to them. :) :) :)

Make sure you complain about the stuff you don't like about dish, add that cable has a better deal, then threaten to cancel dish. You may get an offer you can't refuse, depending on the CSR you talk to. :)

BFG said:

Thanks for the help, guys. My dish is on the roof of the house - how do I go about removing the lnb? Is it easy to remove? I have no problem removing the receiver and switch myself, but I don't even know what the lnb looks like.

Also, if I switched to D*, would they be able to use the existing wiring then? I assume they wouldn't be able to use the existing dish since it has Dish Network plastered all over it! hehee. Do you think they would remove the dish for me when they come to install D*?

the lnb is the thing that's on the end of the arm of the dish. A phillips head unscrews two screws connecting it to the arm and then you pull it out and disconnect the two cables connecting to it.

You can use the same cabling for D*, the pole that the dish is mounted on should work as well, so all they would need to do is take of the E* dish and put on the D* dish.

Trav said:
Thanks for the help, guys. My dish is on the roof of the house - how do I go about removing the lnb? Is it easy to remove? I have no problem removing the receiver and switch myself, but I don't even know what the lnb looks like.

Also, if I switched to D*, would they be able to use the existing wiring then? I assume they wouldn't be able to use the existing dish since it has Dish Network plastered all over it! hehee. Do you think they would remove the dish for me when they come to install D*?

Trav, the lnb is the funny looking thing at the end of the arm that protrudes out from the dish. Easily removed. All you'll need is a screw driver and maybe a pair of pliers. ;)

As for a new install they may or may not able to use any pre-existing wiring. It'll depend on the your new setup. Trust me if any new installer comes out and sees a way to use it, he will. Less work for him. Thats what happened when I switched from D* to E*. The installer used some of the pre-existing wiring. They won't however be able to use the dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)