What do you consider the most unbreakable records in sports?

Wayne Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games
(He had 41 goals in his first37 games, then scored 9 in two games, including a FIVE-goal game.

To put this in perspective, he had 50 goals BEFORE THE NEW YEAR'S DAY BOWL GAMES WERE PLAYED!)

This is exactly one of the reasons why, IMO, Gretzky is a GOD AMONG MEN.

Actually to be honest, I think with the way Bettman has designed the league and his constant search to create higher scoring games - I think NHL records would be the most likely to be broken. NHL rules have been so volatile over the last decade in an effort to promote higher scoring so I think if this mentality continues, these records will be broken. That and I think Mike Bossy would have been a bigger god if he didn't have to retire. :D

Brett Favre's 258 consecutive starts by an NFL quarterback. In this sport, there is constant turnover at the QB position and players are injured often. Favre's longevity and toughness may be the biggest part of his legacy.

As a side note: Favre has smashed the old mark of 116, set by former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski.

This is one that I can't see getting broken anytime soon. Only 16 games a year at a position that is the most vulnerable on the field. Amazing.

I'll second, and third Cy Young's pitching records still standing. How many more 300 game winners do you think you will see in your lifetime? Let alone a 400 or 500 game winner?

Side question - Who in the MLB now, will win 300 in their career?

We all know about those guys, which of the outstanding young arms in the game, do you see reaching the 300 plateau?

In the modern day world of baseball where 15 wins is considered a good year and 20 is outstanding, this feat may be based more on the longevity of a pitchers career, the ability to stay healthy and his ability to pitch consistently year in and year out.

With that said, I can see the following young pitchers with that chance:

Johan Santana
Cliff Lee
Roy Halladay
Brandon Webb
CC Sabathia

This is one that I can't see getting broken anytime soon. Only 16 games a year at a position that is the most vulnerable on the field. Amazing.

i can't see this being broken ever. the game is more violent than ever so injuries will continue to rise. I know Brett is still playing but his toughness is also a rare find at that position.

In the modern day world of baseball where 15 wins is considered a good year and 20 is outstanding, this feat may be based more on the longevity of a pitchers career, the ability to stay healthy and his ability to pitch consistently year in and year out.

With that said, I can see the following young pitchers with that chance:

Johan Santana
Cliff Lee
Roy Halladay
Brandon Webb
CC Sabathia

How about Verlander? I believe last season was a fluke.

Most Yards Gained, Career

Jerry Rice, San Francisco, 1985-2000; Oakland, 2001-04; Seattle, 2004
22,895 yards

looks untouchable.

How about Verlander? I believe last season was a fluke.

Yes. I forgot about him. Take Sabathia off my original list and add Verlander instead. Sabathia's 28 years old and at 117 wins now. I just don't see his career lasting long enough to get to 300.

Quick math: He would need 183 more wins to get to 300. If he plays for 12 more years until he's 40 years old, Sabathia would have to average over 15 wins a year for the remainder of his career. Given the large stature of Sabathia, I just don't see his body holding up through the years.

Most Yards Gained, Career

Jerry Rice, San Francisco, 1985-2000; Oakland, 2001-04; Seattle, 2004
22,895 yards

looks untouchable.
It's really awe-inspiring how many yards he has and records he has. Hell he even has like 8 rushing touchdowns to his credit.

How about McClain's 1968 season? He is the last to win 30 games, maybe forever. Gibson's season was one of the most dominate I've ever seen. I'm a bigger fan of his than McClain's. McClain was a jerk.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned these stats...

1) Cal Ripken Jr. - 2632 consecutive games started, this is an insane record, no active streek is even remotely close. Miguel Tejada made it half way there, but that ended last season.

2) Ty Cobb - .366 lifetime batting average, after 23 seasons. Hitting like this will NEVER be seen again.

3) Pete Rose - 4,256 career hits, He was never as a great a hitter as Ty Cobb, but he was consistent for a LONG time. No active player is even in the top 50, Griffey Jr. is the closest at 2,653 and his career has been in a serious state of decline.

4) Richard Petty - 200 Wins, not even remotely possible for another driver to accomplish for several reasons.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned these stats...

1) Cal Ripken Jr. - 2632 consecutive games started, this is an insane record, no active streek is even remotely close. Miguel Tejada made it half way there, but that ended last season.

2) Ty Cobb - .366 lifetime batting average, after 23 seasons. Hitting like this will NEVER be seen again.

3) Pete Rose - 4,256 career hits, He was never as a great a hitter as Ty Cobb, but he was consistent for a LONG time. No active player is even in the top 50, Griffey Jr. is the closest at 2,653 and his career has been in a serious state of decline.

4) Richard Petty - 200 Wins, not even remotely possible for another driver to accomplish for several reasons.

I think that one will be broken. The other three though are about as untouchable as can be.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts