What do you consider the most unbreakable records in sports?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
Of all the sports records, what are some you see as unbreakable?

Here are my two choices:

Hack Wilson's 191 RBI's

Wayne Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games
(He had 41 goals in his first37 games, then scored 9 in two games, including a FIVE-goal game.

To put this in perspective, he had 50 goals BEFORE THE NEW YEAR'S DAY BOWL GAMES WERE PLAYED!)

This is exactly one of the reasons why, IMO, Gretzky is a GOD AMONG MEN.

Joe Dimaggio's 56 game hit streak

The 1972 Lakers 33 game winning streak, although the rockets won 20 in a row last year.

yes, DiMaggio 56 game hit streak is #1 in my mind.

Looking at Hack's 191 RBI, I'm sure it will be broken by a guy with a high batting average in the cleanup'ish slot who only has to manage just over an RBI a game.

GOOG'ling for some answers:

Second longest hitting streak in the MLB modern era - 44 games by Pete Rose (1978) so Peter Edward Rose was still 12 games shy of tying Joltin' Joe.

Second highest RBI output - Lou Gehrig (184 in 1931 - almost eclipsed Wilson's mark the following season!!!). Highest RBI output by a currently active player - ManRam 165 in 1999.

Let's see... Pete got 79% of the way to breaking Dimaggio's record, ManRam got 86% of the way to tying Wilson, so I think consecutive game hitting streak with specialized pitchign nowdays is much harder than some guy only having to average about 1.18 RBI a game.

Of all the sports records, what are some you see as unbreakable?

Here are my two choices:

Hack Wilson's 191 RBI's

Wayne Gretzky's 50 goals in 39 games
(He had 41 goals in his first37 games, then scored 9 in two games, including a FIVE-goal game.

To put this in perspective, he had 50 goals BEFORE THE NEW YEAR'S DAY BOWL GAMES WERE PLAYED!)

This is exactly one of the reasons why, IMO, Gretzky is a GOD AMONG MEN.

I would also throw in the Lakers 33 game winning streak
DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak.
Miami Hurricanes 56 home game winning streak.

....but THE record I think NO ONE will break is Cy Young's 511 career wins. Hell, Walter Johnson is in 2nd place with 417 wins and I don't think THAT ONE will ever be broken.

The innings pitched and season complete games records of pitchers in the first decade of Major League Baseball history aren't going to be beaten. There are pitchers who pitched like 78 complete games in an 80 game season.

A friend of mine often says that the hardest record to break is Johnny Vandermeer's, because someone would have to pitch three no hitters in a row, but I consider it less likely for Fernando Tatis's record of two grand slams in an inning to be broken because I don't think any batter has ever come to the plate three times in one inning with the bases loaded each time.

For what it is worth, that same friend thought the most remarkable single game performance of twenty strikeouts and zero walks by Roger Clemens would never be touched, yet Clemens did it again later in his career (ah, the wonders of modern chemistry), and the second time, he didn't even need the umpire giving him the calls on pitches half a foot off the plate.

How about the record for, "Most home runs in a season with zero intentional walks". Any takers?

Last edited:
Aaron's 755 HRs/career.

Marris' 61 HRs/season.

Both very breakable, even without performance enhancing drugs. Modern home run hitters don't face 460 to 480 foot fences, they train much, much better than the old beer and hot dog players of yore, and more of them choose to play until no one wants them any more because the paychecks are so much bigger.

Ken Griffey Jr. would have broken Aaron's record already if it were not for his body breaking down in his mid 30s. Unfortunately, we will never know if he was juiced or not, as he is one of two sacred cows whose change in physical appearance later in his career looks unnatural to me but who questioning about performance enhancing drugs is off limits. The other is the prematurely bald Cal Ripkin Jr., whose batting average somehow went up in his 30s while still playing 162 games a season at shortstop. Ernie Banks never played a game at shortstop after he turned thirty. If he had, there is no way he would have made it to 500 homers, and maybe not even to 400.

Last edited:
Brett Favre's 258 consecutive starts by an NFL quarterback. In this sport, there is constant turnover at the QB position and players are injured often. Favre's longevity and toughness may be the biggest part of his legacy.

As a side note: Favre has smashed the old mark of 116, set by former Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Ron Jaworski.

Roger Maris ran back four punts for touchdowns in one high school football game. Did anyone ever get five in one game?

Roger Maris ran back four punts for touchdowns in one high school football game. Did anyone ever get five in one game?
Al Bundy had 4 touchdowns in a game once, but I don't remember how many were punt returns...

bundy_al.jpg

Or...

Cy Young's career complete game record of 749.

In these days, when four complete games is a good year, a player would have to play for more than 185 years to contest this record.

Al Bundy had 4 touchdowns in a game once, but I don't remember how many were punt returns...

bundy_al.jpg

We'll have to check the Polk High student newspaper archives, which are presently lining the doggie-poo box.

There was a great Married with Children episode when Kelly was a contestant on a sports trivia show and blowing everyone away.

Q: "What player led the Chicago Bulls in scoring for five consecutive seasons..."

Bzzzz.

Other contestant: "Michael Jordan".

Q: "Wrong. I'll complete the question: 'What player led the Chicage Bulls in scoring for five consecutive seasons in the 1970s?' "

Bzzzz.

Kelly: "Norm Van Lier."

Left hand on the bible, right hand to God, I actually thought of Norm Van Lier BEFORE the other contestant incorrectly answerd Michael Jordan.

Unfortunately, Kelly wagered her entire purse on the jackpot question, which she couldn't answer.

Aaron's 755 HRs/career.

Marris' 61 HRs/season.

I take it, you don't consider Bonds' 73 HR or Mark McGuire's 70 HR season?

And just for the record, Ryan Howard had 58 one season. As far as I know, Howard has never been associated with 'roids and still came close to tying/breaking Marris' record.

How about Wilt Chamberlain's, 100 points in a single game?

Kobe got eighty-something. Thirty years ago (pre-Jordan), Chamberlain had something like thirty of the thirty-five highest scoring games ever, with the other five being one each by five other players, but that list began getting invaded when George Gervin and David Thompson had their season finales with the scoring title on the line.

I think Wilt's 50.4 average for a season would be harder to beat, as well as whatever his highest single season rebounding total is because teams don't miss as many shots. Wilt once had 55 rebounds in one game. How many shots do teams miss in a game today? A player would have to get all the defeisive rebounds and half the rebounds at the offensive end of the court to approach that.

His 48.5 minutes per game would be tough to beat also. According to the official records, he played every minute of every game but one that season, including every minute of every overtime, but that record deserves an asterisk, because I have heard the tape of the radio broadcast of Chamberlain scoring his hundredth point (he missed two lay-ups but got the ball back on the same possession), and they simply stopped the game when the hundredth point was scored in the last minute. BTW, the game was not televised or filmed

Another trivia question. Who was Wilt playing against when he snagged the 55 rebounds?

Cy Young's 511 wins will never be approached let alone broken.

By today's standards, yes.

If you were to take out specialized pitching, reduce rotations to 3-4 man staffs, ignore pitch counts and had some guy who can be healthy and can compete for the Cy Young Award most years for 25 years, maybe it can be broken.

Pete Maravich has several NCAA records that may never be beaten. And they were done without a three point line. :)

- Holds NCAA career record for most points (3,667, 44.2 ppg, three-year career) in 83 games
- Holds NCAA career record for highest points per game average (44.2 ppg)
- Holds NCAA record for most field goals made (1,387) and attempted (3,166)
- Holds NCAA record for most free throws made (893) and attempted (1,152)
- Holds NCAA record for most games scoring at least 50 points (28)
- Holds NCAA single-season record for most points (1,381) and highest per game average (44.5 ppg) in 1970
- Holds NCAA single-season record for most field goals made (522) and attempted (1,168) in 1970
- Holds NCAA single-season record for most games scoring at least 50 points (10) in 1970
- Holds NCAA single-game record for most free throws made (30 of 31) against Oregon State on Dec. 22, 1969

I suppose this isn't a "record" in the same sense as the ones you've listed here, but does anyone else see another team repeating the Bills' streak of 4 straight Conference Championships/Super Bowl Appearances/Super Bowl Losses?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)