What do you guys think about Direct HD Expansion

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Are you being sarcastic or did you not know I made a mistake and meant TCM and not TMC. I was responding to a post and quoted it that clearly said Turner Classic Movies. TCM is short for Turner Classic Movies and I am pretty sure you know what I meant.

I could care less about The Movie Channel (TMC). I get TMC E/W and TMC Extra E/W in HD with FIOS.

I meant, does Turner Classic Movies actually exist in HD yet? TCM HD!

TCM plays some of the best classic movies, commerical free, and I would like to see that too like the other guy in HD. MGM HD is not the old movies we are talking about. While I have watched good movies on that channel, they don't consistently air 1930's to 1950's and 60's films like TCM does. And TCM is not all MGM either, it is largely the Turner archive purchased back in the 80's.

i knew what u meant, yes i was being saracastic.

theres no evidence TCM HD exists yet, most likely due to the fact that its target audience is old people (65+) who probably don't have HDTV's and most likely never will

For me, anything more would be overload. I'm still adjusting to all these HD channels. I got DirecTV last month. I had Comcast, but in a very poor bandwidth area, so I maybe got a total of 18 HD channels. Now, with DirecTV it's crazy

This is cute. A definite first. You are serious too, I do believe. First time I have seen a sincere post like yours who says he actually has enough and needs no more. You are definitely an easy to please customer. A simpleton. I like that.

<---former Comcast customer. Comcast here only has 36 HD channels. Then I got fed up with their b.s. and I got DirecTV and boom, twice as many instantly. So I'm more pleased than I used to be, but I just always think there's room for improvement.

How about adding all the HD that is available out there. It can't be to many.

Well, there are 26 HBO/MAX HD channels, and I think DirecTV has only 3 or 4 of them. There are more Showtime and Starz channels too, to a smaller extent. There are all the Rainbow channels (We, AMC, Fuse, IFC, and I think G4). There are lots of locals in lots of smaller markets.

There are actually tons of channels that every provider, even FIOS, doesn't carry.

Here is a pretty good chart....
Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 2/23/09! - AVS Forum

Well, there are 26 HBO/MAX HD channels, and I think DirecTV has only 3 or 4 of them. There are more Showtime and Starz channels too, to a smaller extent. There are all the Rainbow channels (We, AMC, Fuse, IFC, and I think G4). There are lots of locals in lots of smaller markets.

There are actually tons of channels that every provider, even FIOS, doesn't carry.

Here is a pretty good chart....
Official AVS National HD Channel Lineups - Cable/DBS/Fiber/IPTV - Updated 2/23/09! - AVS Forum

na that list sucks, mine's better

Master list of 60 HD channels NOT offered in HD on DirecTV - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

so Mrsmith, scientifically speaking, why can't we have them NOW instead of in a few years? you didnt really answer the question before, you just beat around the bush and went into the money factor which in my opinion isn't important at all...

theyre not my needs, theyre what the general public want. isnt that the purpose of offering a subscription service: charge money for something people want?
Again, I have to point to sub numbers and additions. They seem to be meeting the needs of the general public quite nicely. Could they do better? Sure. Most companies could.

so Mrsmith, scientifically speaking, why can't we have them NOW instead of in a few years? you didnt really answer the question before, you just beat around the bush and went into the money factor which in my opinion isn't important at all...
Tom, if you read the rest of my previous post, I gave you two very good reasons besides money for why they cant do it now. To which you can also add contract negotiations

well why aren't they trying harder NOW?
Tom, no one here is totally privy to what they are and are not trying to do. I responded only because IMO, it is not as simple as flipping a switch and there are the channels.

doesnt watching a PPV movie on a linear channel on DirecTV cost the same price as downloading it on demand? i don't get why they're still wasting all of that bandwidth on 75 PPV channels when they could just have them exclusively on demand. SCIENTIFICALLY speaking it makes no sense to me at all.

doesnt watching a PPV movie on a linear channel on DirecTV cost the same price as downloading it on demand? i don't get why they're still wasting all of that bandwidth on 75 PPV channels when they could just have them exclusively on demand. SCIENTIFICALLY speaking it makes no sense to me at all.
Well tom, not everyone is set up to be able to use on demand. Do not forget that although it is much better than it used to be, there are still alot of people who do not have broadband internet access. Of those that do, there are many that are not networked to be able to use VOD.
However, EVERYONE that has sat service with D* can use PPV.

It would be nice though if they could cut back on the repeats of the 'popular' movies since D*'s pushing those out to the DVR's eliminating the need to watch them in real time. Yes that would effect the people that don't have DVR's to an extent but I wonder how many of those folks are paying $5.99 per movie?

:mad:theres no evidence TCM HD exists yet, most likely due to the fact that its target audience is old people (65+) who probably don't have HDTV's and most likely never will

It would be nice though if they could cut back on the repeats of the 'popular' movies since D*'s pushing those out to the DVR's eliminating the need to watch them in real time. Yes that would effect the people that don't have DVR's to an extent but I wonder how many of those folks are paying $5.99 per movie?
I agree that it would be great if they would eliminate a few of them to add some other channels, but I have to think they wouldnt have them up if they werent making something off of them (at least until they get ready to add something else)

Let's go fix America, HD ignorance that is!

i knew what u meant, yes i was being saracastic.

theres no evidence TCM HD exists yet, most likely due to the fact that its target audience is old people (65+) who probably don't have HDTV's and most likely never will

I'm 33 going on 65 and I love the old movies. I am not alone, but you are right that it mainly serves the elderly.

Still, I have seen a lot of elderly getting on board with HDTV lately. In fact, many of them were tricked into thinking they needed new TVs after the Feb 17 deadline that was bumped to June 12. They actually were convinced by either the media, salesman, or word of mouth that their SD TV would stop working after the deadline. I am not talking about OTA viewers, I am talking about people with either cable or satellite.

I service computers for a living and one guy was panicking back in the fall. He thought for sure he had to buy an HDTV and he currently had Dish Network and an SD TV setup. I tried to explain to him that it would continue to work fine, but his provider made no attempt to reassure him. I set him straight but said that buying an HDTV would be a good move if he was ready and had the money. He ended up buying an HDTV at Costco and switched to DirecTV with an HD-DVR. While doing his monthly computer service, I noticed that they didn't even hook his TV up right and he didn't know how to use the DVR. So I took two minutes to fix the wiring so he was actually viewing it in HD and showed him how to use the DVR to record stuff.

The big problem is the elderly are confused. When given correct information, they are more then willing to make technology advancements. It is just so confusing to them and nobody takes the time to set them straight.

I know a lot of older people that use computers to correspond with email to their friends, use the wii and wii fit for recreation, and are now watching HDTVs with proper setups. I'm sure there are plenty that would enjoy TCM HD.

HDTV early adapters were mainly techie or rich men, which is why it drives me nuts to see providers like Bright House Networks adding ABC Family and Lifetime Movie Network in HD, while they still don't have guy channels like Spike TV HD or more popular channels like Fox News HD. I think now women and the elderly are getting on board. Everyone wants HD once they actually understand it.

I know another well educated lady who is a football fan. She just loves Brett Favre and had DirecTV and Sunday Ticket and went out and bought an HDTV. But it didn't look good to her so she took everything back and set her SD TV back up, still watching DirecTV and Sunday Ticket in SD. I have a feeling she wasn't hooked up right and probably never even got a DirecTV HD box. A lot of it boils down to horrible educating of the public. We have all seen numerous articles about the large numbers of people that have HDTVs with SD cable boxes and they think they are watching HD. I have also seen my own family members who have HD boxes on HDTVs watching the SD versions of channels such as A&E. They just don't know any better. That is why I like that DirecTV puts the HD and SD versions side by side with the same channel number. Cable providers and FIOS don't do that. They'll have ABC on the local OTA channel in SD on say channel 11, and then put he HD version on 611, but the customer isn't told it is there. So many novices think they are watching HD and they are not. Of course it looks like garbage stretched out and then they cannot figure out what all the hype is about with HD.

I do my part to educate people when I see them unaware in the world of HD, and I think we can all benefit each other by helping the HD ignorance in America. Because the more people that understand it and get on board, the more channels we will get.

Let's go fix America, HD ignorance that is!

:mad:theres no evidence TCM HD exists yet, most likely due to the fact that its target audience is old people (65+) who probably don't have HDTV's and most likely never will

Sorry I didn't mean to offend, just stating facts.

na that list sucks, mine's better

Master list of 60 HD channels NOT offered in HD on DirecTV - High Def Forum - Your High Definition Community & High Definition Resource

Your list isn't better because it is strictly about DirecTV.... the list I provided, which is not my creation, is better because it covers all the major providers. It shows who offers what.

You are certainly right, DirecTV is not the HD leader. FIOS may be considered the leader right now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)