What does "check switch" actually do?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

denisincalif

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 1, 2007
Arcadia, CA
After the new HD channels were added the other day, I noticed that I could not get the Science channel even though I have Top 250 and the HD Ultimate package. The channel appeared in my guide both in the 94xx area and mapped down to 3xx. But if I selected the channel in the guide I got "signal has been lost" and the signal could never be re-acquired.

So I ran "check switch" last night and my problem was solved. I am curious about a few things.

1) How can just one channel get lost like that? I am clearly getting signal from the satellite.

2) Exactly what does a "check switch" do?

3) How does just checking something find and correct a missing channel?

1) I don't know. Chalk that up to the occasional "Stuck On Stupid" SOS problem.

2) A check switch determines what kind of equipment configuration you have and what satellites and transponders you are receiving.

3) Once a check switch is done and the receiver is updated on what transponders you have, the guide will be updated to include data for those channels that appear on any "new" transponders you are receiving.

You might want to go to MENU>6>1>3 and let that run its course. You could have an LNB drift issue that caused you to lose a transponder and the EPG data was dumped for those channels on that transponder.

It could be that during the take-down and addition of channels your table was corrupted and your system didn't know where to correctly find the Science Channel. A Check Switch may have refreshed the table.

Since tpn[NIT] and channel [SDT] tables reside in RAM, any type of reboot will force to rebuild the tables from current stream. So, there are many way to do that: switch check, jack credit card into empty slot, press power button on front panel for few seconds, jack power cord, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts