What does it take for an offensive lineman to do well in the NFL?

SabresRule

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 15, 2008
Wisconsin
In the NFL, when offensive linemen/tackles are selected in the draft, I always am very skeptical as to whether they will pan out or not.

You never know if the guy you draft could turn out to be good or not.

There are two polar opposites to these hyped offensive linemen that delivered the goods in college- for every Anthony Munoz, Orlando Pace, or John Hannah, there's a Tony Mandarich or Robert Gallery (sorry, Salsa- :D).

HD, when your Browns drafted Joe Thomas in 2007, I was highly skeptical about the choice, given that two of the bigger NFL busts were Big 10 Offensive Linemen; turned out to be a guy who could protect Anderson/Quinn or open up holes for Jamal Lewis.

What exactly do these NFL teams look for in a good O-Line player?

How about just block well?

Yup. That's what it all boils down to. Being able to keep your man in front of you against a pass rush. On running plays they need to be able to move their man forward or directionally to open running lanes.

Of course in order to do this, the players need to have the right balance of size, agility, speed and brains to implement the schemes they are taught.

In the NFL, when offensive linemen/tackles are selected in the draft, I always am very skeptical as to whether they will pan out or not.

You never know if the guy you draft could turn out to be good or not.

There are two polar opposites to these hyped offensive linemen that delivered the goods in college- for every Anthony Munoz, Orlando Pace, or John Hannah, there's a Tony Mandarich or Robert Gallery (sorry, Salsa- :D).

HD, when your Browns drafted Joe Thomas in 2007, I was highly skeptical about the choice, given that two of the bigger NFL busts were Big 10 Offensive Linemen; turned out to be a guy who could protect Anderson/Quinn or open up holes for Jamal Lewis.

What exactly do these NFL teams look for in a good O-Line player?

No need to apologize to me....Robert Gallery has been a HUGE disappointment so far....but not anywhere near the steroid freak that Mandrich was as far has over hype. The ONLY good thing about Gallery is that he has been relatively healthy and is still young enough to redeem himself. And please do NOT remind me of that draft, the Raiders COULD HAVE HAD Larry Fitzgerald.

Back to subject....just able to adapt to the type of defensive line they will be facing every Sunday. They are not ALL cut out of the same cookie cutter.

No need to apologize to me....Robert Gallery has been a HUGE disappointment so far....but not anywhere near the steroid freak that Mandrich was as far has over hype. The ONLY good thing about Gallery is that he has been relatively healthy and is still young enough to redeem himself. And please do NOT remind me of that draft, the Raiders COULD HAVE HAD Larry Fitzgerald.

Back to subject....just able to adapt to the type of defensive line they will be facing every Sunday. They are not ALL cut out of the same cookie cutter.

One of the worst things is having an offensive lineman that is lazy. I love to see those guys running with the rest of the offense and making more blocks down field.

Actually I don't know anything about good offensive linemen. Never seen one in a Detroit Lion's uniform.:D If we had a good line, not a great line, just a good line, when Barry Sanders was playing, he would have retired with rushing numbers that nobody would have ever touched.

Actually I don't know anything about good offensive linemen. Never seen one in a Detroit Lion's uniform.:D If we had a good line, not a great line, just a good line, when Barry Sanders was playing, he would have retired with rushing numbers that nobody would have ever touched.

I believe that if he doesn't retire when he did his numbers would've still been untouchable. To me he is the best running back to ever play the game.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts