This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

What does it take to get new Channel?

ben_g99

Original poster
Feb 20, 2007
So, I upgraded my Dish and receivers not long ago (VIP722) to get HD. I am not 100% sure which Dish I actually have, but I think I get my channels from 61.5 and 129. (you may know better).

I just heard about the My Sports Germany channel (610) and was going to see about getting it, however, I was told my dish would have to be upgraded (another commitment or $200).

Can they just replace my dish or will they have to add another? Anyone know.

Any help is appreciated!

Most, if not all, international channels are on 118.7' satellite now. "Regular" Dish subscribers usually aren't pointed at that satellite, nor do they have a dish that can pick it up. Dish -- if they did the install -- know what dish you have and what's needed, so when they say "upgraded", they actually mean "add a 2nd dish".

Probably means switching your existing dish if you have one that points to 129, menu-> System setup-> installation-> point dish ->check switch will show which satellites you point at. If you have 61.5, 72, 77 you will need a second dish for 118.7. If you have 110,119,129 you will need your dish replaced with one that does 110,118.7,119,129.

Dish allows only 1 upgrade per year. You can either try to get upgraded now, again, at a discounted price--try the CEO email or phone #--or wait until a year has passed from your current upgrade.

You could talk to a local retailer and ask about viewing internationals at 118 and find out how much they would charge.

If you are Western Arc, I believe the current Dish they use for HD installs is the same for Internationals because it has to be the large dish you have to receive Internationals. However, if you have three LNBF's as one unit, then they have to replace that with a new LNBF unit that includes the special dual-band LNBF to receive Internationals.

If Dish won't do it before the year is up, then try to see what deal you can get with a local retailer. It is unfortunate you did not know about this international channel to request it at the upgrade because it would have either been included in the upgrade or cost you very little to add.

Thanks for the answers guys. It looks like I am pointed to 110, 119 and 129 currently. So that means I would have to add a second dish, huh?

That's exactly what I want to stay away from. They are willing to give me a free upgrade (with commitement), I just don't want to add a second dish.

Thanks!

They can replace your 1000.2 dish with a 1000+ which will give you the sats you need for domestic, international and hd... from one dish. The technician will have to install a switch and power inserter. Good luck, hope this helps. ; )