What does "new episodes" mean?

BrunoPuntzJones

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
Anyone have a definition for this?

Does it just mean episodes which the DVR hasn't recorded before?

I have a 622 and usually just say record all episodes, but some shows (Like How It's Made) have hundreds of episodes and just record the same ones over and over.

Would selecting "new episodes" fix this? Or what does that setting record?

Or let me ask it like this. If I wanted to record episodes of "House" from the beginning, and then watch the first 20 and don't want to record 1-20 again, but want to get 97 or whatever the newest is, what would the correct timer settings?

Anyone have a definition for this?

Does it just mean episodes which the DVR hasn't recorded before?

I have a 622 and usually just say record all episodes, but some shows (Like How It's Made) have hundreds of episodes and just record the same ones over and over.

Would selecting "new episodes" fix this? Or what does that setting record?

Or let me ask it like this. If I wanted to record episodes of "House" from the beginning, and then watch the first 20 and don't want to record 1-20 again, but want to get 97 or whatever the newest is, what would the correct timer settings?

It means episodes marked by the guide supplier as new (first time shown) or those for which the first time shown is not indicated (even if its been shown hundreds of times).

New episodes means just that---new episodes for that show. Set up your timer to record only new episodes, and the dvr will record ONLY the new episodes as they air. Set up the timer to record all episodes and it will record EVERY episode that airs. Pretty simple. ;)

So I have the choice of only recording the current season and none that I have missed, or record them all, and manually delete every episode I've already seen?

I quit using the new episodes option. Things may have changed, but you can only have 288 timers set at once (where 288 comes from I have no clue. its not even a muliple of 8 which might make sense)....

When you set up a new episodes timer it still sets up timers for old episodes and duplicates but simply skips them. In the process though it's eating away at your 288 timers. It's better to just look and find when the show comes on and set the timer for weekly. That's what I do and you don't run out of timers. Of course you could go through and delete it all everyday like the guy above me does, why not spare the headache?

My wife works for dish and I asked why they don't have some sort of "season pass" option and she said that they couldn't do it because of conflicts with TiVO.

So it doesn't just record things based on the 9-day guide (at least in the case of the 622), it keeps looking beyond that once things get added?

Some times the EPG is messed up. If your DVR isn't sure, it records it to be safe.

And seriously, 288 timers isn't enough? I have 86 timers, and I thought that was a lot.

I quit using the new episodes option. Things may have changed, but you can only have 288 timers set at once (where 288 comes from I have no clue. its not even a muliple of 8 which might make sense)....

When you set up a new episodes timer it still sets up timers for old episodes and duplicates but simply skips them. In the process though it's eating away at your 288 timers. It's better to just look and find when the show comes on and set the timer for weekly. That's what I do and you don't run out of timers. Of course you could go through and delete it all everyday like the guy above me does, why not spare the headache?

My wife works for dish and I asked why they don't have some sort of "season pass" option and she said that they couldn't do it because of conflicts with TiVO.

That number was increased quite some time ago. Not sure what the number is now, but I think it is well over 500. I've got over 75 timers and have never hit the limit. They do have a "season pass" type option. It is called Dish Pass and records programs no matter what channel they are on (the new option only looks on the channel on which you set it).

So it doesn't just record things based on the 9-day guide (at least in the case of the 622), it keeps looking beyond that once things get added?

Yes! You wouldn't want to have to keep setting new timers every nine days would you?

vip612: ir/ufh remote question

Am I getting screwed?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)