What Does This TIVO lawsuit mean to me?

vismich

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
All-

I just got Dish Network and now I am reading that TIVO is in a lawsuit w/ Dish over patented technology....

Does thios mean there is A REAL possibility I may lose my DVR service?

I would have to imagine that Dish would never let this happen....

It won't. Tivo just wants some of the money you pay for the DVR service, E* wants it all to themselves. It really means nothing to the end user.

:) i agree! they are looking at possible ways to survive. if they don't get some big money quick there out of a job. in my opinion dish has done nothing wrong. tivo to me is the searching software. and not the hardware. again that's just my opinion. i feel much safer than i did with the dns issues. and i just got a new 18mo contract after being with dish for 10+ years.

I can just hear Charlie at his chat pulpit now - We have to increase our rates this year because of this and this and this and this and this. I hope it aint going to be more than $3. If we had three years of $3 increases thats $9. That sure adds up fast ya know. I would think that we would be in for the bigger increase because its a double whammy in addition to the extra money the programmers want.

Last edited:
well, if you are so concerned about a price increase, then drop to top60, it's guaranteed until 2008. Personally, I don't see it going up more than $1 next year.

The only affect will be a price increase passed on to the customer. However, with the Telcos and IPTV gaining a foothold in the video marketplace (and cable consolidating and offering bundled discounts), satellite providers will find it increasingly difficult to raise rates without losing customers.

Customers with distant nets should pay the $100 million dollars. Why should the rest of us pay. Put the cost where it belongs.

And the same stupid analogy should be used for sports channels. Why should I be saddled with extra programming costs for those that must have 70 channels of ESPN in all it's incarnations.

I disagree with all of you!!

It can be a fine line between protecting your intellectual property and becoming a blood-sucking parasite and therefore, if I were old Charlie, I would call a board meeting and do whatever I had to do to get control of TIVO and you can write the rest of the script from there...

---Doug