What droid to go to next?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I am upgrading the wife to a Galaxy phone from her Hero.
I have been tempted to get one myself, but I doubt I will for now.

I did cancel my landline this week (finally, not sure why I waited so long), and came very close to getting a Droid X to replace that with in addition to my Droid on C south.

I just checked my Verizon account, my wife and son's lines are eligible for upgrades on November 20th. She'll get a Droid of some sort (Maybe D2, maybe Droid Pro, maybe incredible). I am going to use my son's eligibility to get myself a new phone too, although I might wait a bit. Can't decide. :)

And when he needs a new phone, I'll just buy him one on ebay. No data plans for the 13 yr old. :D

Other than the Droid 2, do any of the other phones come with a slide out keyboard?

The Droid Pro has a treo-like form-factor with the keyboard on the "candy bar" but the rest are touch only. I used want a real keyboard, but rarely use the keyboard on the Droid. I am thinking the size of the DX would be very nice.

Not a Verizon fan at all, but the Droid X and Droid Incredible are both great phones from what I’ve seen when I have played with them. The Droid X is nice and big and very much like the Evo, but runs the God awful Motoblur overlay. The HTC Incredible is smaller but has the AMOLED display and has HTC Sense which is my favorite Android UI. Droid X seems like it's a little faster overall. If I had a gun to my head and had to switch to Verizon Wireless, I'd probably chose the Droid X, even if that meant putting up with Motoblur.

Not a Verizon fan at all, but the Droid X and Droid Incredible are both great phones from what I’ve seen when I have played with them. The Droid X is nice and big and very much like the Evo, but runs the God awful Motoblur overlay. The HTC Incredible is smaller but has the AMOLED display and has HTC Sense which is my favorite Android UI. Droid X seems like it's a little faster overall. If I had a gun to my head and had to switch to Verizon Wireless, I'd probably chose the Droid X, even if that meant putting up with Motoblur.

I can de-blurify it easily. Root the phone, and poof! No more blur. I'd be running Launcher Pro in no time. The only problem with Blur - and isn't a problem as much as a visual thing - is I don't like its home screen setup. But their widgets aren't terrible.

I am looking forward to the 20th. Particularly if I can use my son's upgrade path and apply it to my phone, and then have my own new-every-2 in June. :)

Oh, and I don't know anybody who is a Verizon "fan" - but it works.

Blur doesn't slow the the phone. I installed ADW on mine and its rooted. However, I kicked VZW to the curb and went to T-Mo. No way would I do the Fascinate because it is CDMA Vibrant. I tried the Vibrant, rooted it, flashed custom rom. Still the phone sucked with lag. Now I have the G2 with No Sense UI and pretty stripped on Software. Resolution is nearly the same as my Droid X. Droid X is 854 X 480 while G2 is 800 X 480. The screen on the G2 has much crisper than the Droid X despite it being .5" smaller. I also have the HD2 which has been modded to customer rom and Froyo. Quadrant score takes out the Droid 2 and Droid X.

On Verizon because you flashing do the Droid Incredible.

Blur doesn't slow the the phone. I installed ADW on mine and its rooted. However, I kicked VZW to the curb and went to T-Mo. No way would I do the Fascinate because it is CDMA Vibrant. I tried the Vibrant, rooted it, flashed custom rom. Still the phone sucked with lag. Now I have the G2 with No Sense UI and pretty stripped on Software. Resolution is nearly the same as my Droid X. Droid X is 854 X 480 while G2 is 800 X 480. The screen on the G2 has much crisper than the Droid X despite it being .5" smaller. I also have the HD2 which has been modded to customer rom and Froyo. Quadrant score takes out the Droid 2 and Droid X.

On Verizon because you flashing do the Droid Incredible.

If I go with existing phones, the choices are DX, D2Global, DI, or possible (for my wife's phone anyway) DPro. :)

Are you talking Verizon only ?
Sprints Epic is the latest of thier phones with a slide out keyboard.
I use mine ALL the time.

I didn't mention it, but that is what I have is Verizon.

I can de-blurify it easily. Root the phone, and poof! No more blur. I'd be running Launcher Pro in no time. The only problem with Blur - and isn't a problem as much as a visual thing - is I don't like its home screen setup. But their widgets aren't terrible.

Slightly off topic but can someone point me to where I can find out "what exactly is blur".
Thanks

n0qcu said:
Slightly off topic but can someone point me to where I can find out "what exactly is blur".
Thanks

Motoblur is user interface overlay for Motorola phones running Android. Each phone manufacture adds their own custom UI with different lock screens, widgets and other stuff. HTC calls theirs Sense, Samsung calls theirs TouchWiz.

Yeah, and these UI overlays show the challenge that Android has in that manufacturers refuse to just use the "plain vanilla" Android OS, and feel compelled to put their mark on it. BUT as long as the phones are rootable, there will be rom developers there to find ways to make those overlays go away.

Add to the UI overlay the Carrrier stuff; Verizon is getting bad with its VCAST stuff that it loads.

OK, Thanks guys. Maybe the blur doesn't bother me since my previous smartphones were Windows Mobile. I like my X a whole lot more.

OK, Thanks guys. Maybe the blur doesn't bother me since my previous smartphones were Windows Mobile. I like my X a whole lot more.

From playing with a Droid X I quickly realized that the blur was not horrible, and I also knew I could make it go away.

I am leaning towards a DX for myself on the 20th when my kid's eligibility comes up (poor kid, he'll have a flip phone for another year, since he destroyed the LG enV touch I bought him). :D

I love Sense on HTC phones. Last night I went to Sprint, Verizon and AT&T stores playing with various Android phones. I was mainly there checking out the various Markets on Verizon and AT&T to see what exclusive apps each carrier has so I can head over to XDA Developers and download them, I didn't see anything that impressed me based upon what I already have. Never made it to a T-Mobile store and only reason I stopped in at Sprint was to see the new Blackberry Style. Anyhow I've come to learn three things. 1) While the Droid X is a nice fast phone, but those physical buttons on the bottom drove me crazy, it appears to have a wider screen then the Evo, which I like 2) AT&T needs to wake up and stop shunning Android, their selection is lacking, especially when it comes to the higher end offerings 3) Motoblur isn't so bad when compared to Sony XU

I really like the option of the overlays. I'm not sure if a plain vanilla OS would be as fun. HTC Sense and Samsung TouchWiz are great, like I said not a fan of Motoblur or XU, but when playing with some oddball Android devices like the Sanyo Zio and Motorola i1, they felt so boring. Not sure if they're running anything or if it's just stock Android, but I don’t like it. I've used Launcher Pro for about two weeks. While I loved being able to scroll through apps in landscape, I still felt homesick without Sense :)

Give me unlocked plain-vanilla Android any day and then I can root it, and customize it to MY taste, and not Motorola or HTC's taste.

The EVO and the Droid X both have 4.3" screens, but I have never seen them side by side, so I can't say if the DX's screen is slightly bigger.

The buttons on the Droid X are no different than the buttons on the Moto Droid , Droid 2,or Droid Incredible. HOME, BACK, MENU, and SEARCH.

I love the four buttons, they are easy to use, and intuitive. ONLY difficulty will be retraining myself since they switched the buttons up on the DX, D2, and DI from the original. And after a year with the D1, its hard-programmed in my brain.

I'm not talking about the function of the buttons, I'm talking about the buttons themselves. On The Droid X there are physical buttons that stick up, they're not touch only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)