What DVB Computer Program to Use?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wholeshoe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Received the TwinHan VisionDTV Starbox!!!

Guys

What computer program do you recommend to use for my soon to arrive USB Twinhan Starbox. I know it comes with sofware but have heard of a few others like ProgDVB and RitzDVB. Suggestion on how to get started with the box?

I have a full setup with my settop receivers but want those 4.2.2 and HD feeds!! I understand I need a plug-in for those, once again I am looking for suggestions. On that point do I also need plugins for things like AC3 Audio and Disecq 1.2?

I am a newbie again and looking to get pointed in the right direction and expierment from there.

(Edit: I just re-read the reveiw on it and it looks like maybe I want to get started and play with the included software to get oriented with it and then use MyTheater and try out the plugins. Does that sound like a plan?)

Thanks

Wholeshoe

Is it the free elecard codec I see at some shareware sites? It appears that there is also a $40 dollar version.

Wholeshoe

It is free but it puts a little graphic in the display until you register. I can't tell you specifically which file it is because I installed 3 different ones when I was trying to figure out how to use my PC card and I don't know which one finally worked.

Maybe someone can jump in.

I use both RitzDVB and MT 3.27 for normal FTA and HD viewing.

For 4:2:2 I love to use TSReader w/ VLC. No Elecard codec requiered. :yes

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
It is free but it puts a little graphic in the display until you register. I can't tell you specifically which file it is because I installed 3 different ones when I was trying to figure out how to use my PC card and I don't know which one finally worked.

Maybe someone can jump in.

The one that works is the Elecard 2.0, but its shareware and will scroll a long message on the bottom of the screen after about 2-3 weeks of usage.

I am familiar with VLC but what is TSReader? Does it just transport the stream over to VLC?

Received the TwinHan VisionDTV Starbox!!!

I got my Starbox today. I still do not have my new laptop so I figured I would give it a go on the old one.

I installed the TwinHan software that was included and in no time had the program running.

I then plugged in dish to the Starbox using a two way splitter that has power passing on on leg. I left the Fortec Ultra as the power passing device and tuned it to UONTV. Then I hooked the non power passing leg of the two way to the Starbox.

I set the LO on the lnb and then the freq and sr on the Starbox software and bang had signal level and quality. It was going easy to easy.

I then scanned the transponder and the programs including UONTV popped in. THen I went to watch one and the computer paused for a second and gave me the dreaded blue screen of death and rebooted itself.

I then tried it a few more times with the same results and then wen to the users manual for the Starbox. Low an behold I read in there that Windows 2000 does not support USB1.1 and I know that the laptop does not have USB2.0. So I am betting that is my problem.

I guess I have to wait for the new computer. I hope it comes soon.

I was impressed however how quickly and easily I got it setup to the point where I could watch TV. The Starbox appears so far to be all of what the review by Cascade said it was and I am exicted about the future. The review proved to convince me to buy this box insted of the DVB World one which does not have a review and at this point I am glad I made the decision I did.

Thanks Cascade for the review for all of us to read. That is really what this forum is all about after all, helping each other.

Wholeshoe

Hi guys!

I've been out of the loop, so to speak, for some time now. With Katrina and the nightmare that has followed with insurance adjusters, traveling into New Orleans for the day and then back to Baton Rouge, etc., I haven't had much time to read the forum.

This is my first post in this section, I just got the Starbox USB2 FTA receiver from Sadoun. It is set up in the motorhome where I'm staying, and I just got my motorized Winegard tracking the arc today. I had to wait until now to aim it since I'd forgotten the remote for my Pansat 2700 back in New Orleans and made a trip back there yesterday.

I'm currently in the process of setting up a channel list on the Pansat, but I will be experimenting with the Starbox very soon. Only the factory software is installed for now, but after things are working, I'll try out ProgDVB and MyTheater.

Anyone have experience with this box? It seems like the best product out there that offers these capabilities.

Hope to be back posting on the forum more frequently in the near future!

I had come to the same conclusion of buying the StarBox, too.
Then the price went up on Tuesday. (see other threads)

After researching, I'd tenatively decided on MyTheatre.

As for Windows 2000 desktop and USB, get a $12 USB 2 card, and get it installed.
Look for one with an NEC USB chip, and not the VIA chip which is more common.
Oh, laptop. I have a CardBus USB 2 card for it, and it works fine, too.
Somewhere in the $15 range, as I recall (just 2 connections, a little more for 4)

Okay Everyone

I finally got my New Laptop today and got home and set up the twinhan software for the starbox. In no time I had video on the screen but I kept getting errors saying I was not on USB2.0.

I thought about it and switched out USB cable to the one that came with the Starbox and that went away.

Then I tried watching a feed off from AMC8 and it was broken up and the forteck on the TV got it perfect at the same time.

So next I used ProgDVB but could not get it to get anything. I think I am not pointing it to the Starbox.

Anybody got suggestions, comments, or ideas? Should I use MyTheater instead? I am just diving in and way over my head right now but leraning is the fun part of it.

Wholeshoe

Has anyone had a problem with the Starbox after its been on for awhile? I've been using it here where I'm staying in Zachary, and it works until it gets warm, then operation gets spotty.

By the way, I find MyTheatre to be the best DVB program I've tried. Even managed to get some Tube vids recorded before they all went away :(

Tron said:
Has anyone had a problem with the Starbox after its been on for awhile? I've been using it here where I'm staying in Zachary, and it works until it gets warm, then operation gets spotty.

By the way, I find MyTheatre to be the best DVB program I've tried. Even managed to get some Tube vids recorded before they all went away :(

I don't have one of these, so I can't say for certain, but I have heard others allude to the fact that this may be a known issue with this device. That's one of the main reasons I've avoided the product myself. Anyway, one possible solution might be to use a power inserter in between the device and the LNB. this way the LNB won't draw power from the starbox and perhaps overheating will be less of an issue as it "may" be the voltage regulators inside the device that provide power to the LNB producing a large portion of the heat. of course I can't guarantee this will solve the problem but it might be worth a try.

not derailed

The advantages of the external USB 2 StarBox outweigh such potential problems.
If it causes me any trouble, I'll retrofit it with bigger cooling vents, a heat sink, or a quiet little 486 fan.
Or maybe all of the above.

Should arrive in a few days, and then I'll know.
At least, if there is any trouble, I'll be prepared with a solution. :)

And if there isn't a problem, I'm gonna post and debunk this myth!

Wholeshoe said:
Okay Everyone

I finally got my New Laptop today and got home and set up the twinhan software for the starbox. In no time I had video on the screen but I kept getting errors saying I was not on USB2.0.

I thought about it and switched out USB cable to the one that came with the Starbox and that went away.

Then I tried watching a feed off from AMC8 and it was broken up and the forteck on the TV got it perfect at the same time.

So next I used ProgDVB but could not get it to get anything. I think I am not pointing it to the Starbox.

Anybody got suggestions, comments, or ideas? Should I use MyTheater instead? I am just diving in and way over my head right now but leraning is the fun part of it.

Wholeshoe

When I first started , I thought DVBDream was easiest to set up w a fixed dish & no switch .

Never got Prog & Ritz to work well for me .

I now use MT exclusivly . That & 2 Fortec Ultras . :)

Wyr

pro-96 said:
The one that works is the Elecard 2.0, but its shareware and will scroll a long message on the bottom of the screen after about 2-3 weeks of usage.
Dude! If you're using it for 3 weeks it must be doing what you want, pay the author for his hard work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)