What equipment is needed for new install in NY?

rshapiro6

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2004
I am moving (within Long Island), and I want to take my Dish with me. Currently I have a 2 dish setup with a 522 (Dualmode) and an 811. So, here is what I did, and you'll see why I am confused.

I tried signing up as a new sub, I know this isn't condoned here but I wanted to see what the pricing and equipment would be. I was told I would get a 2 dish setup with a 622 and a 311 (my other TV isn't HD, so this it ok). Out of pocket expense would be $349. Late March install due to 622 production delays.

Then I call to see what it would cost to move. Apparently I have a free DishMover on my account, so I said I also want a 622. The rep does all the work and I am getting a 622 (Dishn it up), keeping my 811 and getting a single dish 1000 installed at the new house. Out of pocket only costs $300. Late March install...

So, I was very surprised to see that I end up better/cheaper with moving my current account rather then a new sub. I wont get full HD on the 811 I'm bringing due to it not being MPEG4. This is fine (As long as SD chanels come in!). My question is will my planned setup work with a Dish 1000. The first rep said due to my location, nobody in NY can get a single dish solution. I thought the Dish 1000 fixed all this, and we can use a single dish for everything now. Can someone clear this up?

129 sat is not visible from LI so you will still need the two dish solution basicly, if you only have one hd set then drop the 811 and keep the 522 and have four rooms potential for yourself.

Excuse my ignorance, but how can a satellite not be visible from anywhere on the planet? I guess i'm setting myself up for a lengthy explanation of satellite orbits and such, but it just sounds strange to me.

It's geosynchronous, thus "stationary" in orbit wrt the earth. The earth's curvature precludes most of the earth from seeing any given sat...

rshapiro6 said:
Excuse my ignorance, but how can a satellite not be visible from anywhere on the planet? I guess i'm setting myself up for a lengthy explanation of satellite orbits and such, but it just sounds strange to me.

Shapiro,

The Moon is in orbit around the Earth and, there are many days of the Year when the Moon is NOT visible from your location on the surface of the earth.

If DBS satellites were not Stationary in their orbits relative to the surface of the Earth then you would have to have a tracking Dish and for many hours a day your Dish would NOT be able to receive any Service during those times.

Geostationary means the satellite is Orbiting at the same speed as the earth is rotating so the satellite stays in the same postion relative to your location. Since the Earth's surface is curved each satellites signal is going to pass back into space over the Horizon at some point.

Suggestion grab a globe, in a not to bright room, from about 2 feet away shine that flashlight with a relatively tight beam on the Globe the center it on the US, notice as you get farther from the Center of the US the Flashlights beam doesn't reach some areas of the globe. Electromagnetic energy travels in straight lines, the Earths surface is curved so at some point that Electromagnetic energy as not able to reach the surface of the earth.

John

OK, thanks for the info, it makes more sense now. Maybe they should just launch another satellite so people in NY can have just 1 Dish on their roof. ;)

rshapiro6 said:
Each satellite has a "footprint"..That simply put is the extent of it's signal as it "hits" the ground..Given the 129 sats position in the sky realtive to your location,the footprint may not not extend to your latitude..Keep in mind here in NC at 35 deg north latitude the elevation of the 129 is only 24.5 degrees above the horizon..LI is at 40 degrees north lat...I have a chart and it indicates that zips on LI assuming all zips fall between 113XX and 117XX or so have an elevation of 24 degrees above the horizon for D-1000..Most likely tree outs will be common with an elevation that low....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)