What features from Tivo would you like added to your E* box?

not even sure if my vip might have this or not,...

on my tivo, when i was fast forwarding i could hit the skip to end button and unlike when you hit that during play and it would go to end of show,during fastforward it would simply jump to the next "tick" mark like half hour jumps or 15 minutes,etc.. depending on length of show recorded

i have not found a way for dish to do this...???

The ability to scroll backwards in time of at least 24 hours.

The ability to isolate and search one individual channel with one key, rather than 3, forward arrow.

An indefinite record history, like thumbs up rating. If thumbs up is a no go, than an asterisk * will do. Or "(Recorded 12-05-06)."

More search subcategories, such as Crime Drama, Anime, Animation,..

List programming further in the future.

• First I would start with always buffer TV1 & TV2, regardless of playback or channel being viewed.
  • View recorded items on any box from any box within the house (either via the homeplug or ethernet).. should be pull/push able (EX: from box1 I want to see something from box2 I'll pull the content.. if something I want to show someone else on box2 I would push the content to the other box)
  • the abiltity to select SD, HD, SD/HD on all searchs..
  • automatically add HD channels to favorites that have the SD channel (so I don't have to manually futz with it)
  • Popup message when the box comes on for new channels additions/removals/software updates/etc to advise people of this (EX: New Channels Have been Added to your subscription. Click View to see a list of the new channels added, click view tv to continue on without seeing the new channel list)
  • Play content from Amazon Unboxed
  • Record/Playback directly from the External HD.
  • ACTUAL VOD (via the ethernet) and mostly content you already subscribe to (Discovery, disney, abc, nbc, cbs, etc) would be a HUGE step in the right direction
  • DishPass to incluce optional channels to limit recording to
  • Support for my T-90, including the 4x1/8x1 discq switches (as if this would ever happen) :p
  • Setup recording online (via any tv guide type website aka yahoo/dish/tvguide/etc) include support for windows mobile and iphone
  • sling play back via any VIP series box

I'm sure I can come up with more.. :)

i like the fact that if i am not home i can go online and set up a show to record from my computer. that can help when you forget a show is on or a game you want to tape because you wont be home intime

Being able to FF and REW to hash marks. 300x FF/REW is fast, but if you have a 4-hr recording and you want to jump around, the Dish interface is clumsy.

I like the Tivo guide better. I like to be able to rollover a channel and see all the programming data for that channel only. I hate navigating the Dish guide when I'm trying to see what's coming up on a channel later in the day or the next day. As mentioned, it's also nice to be able to go back in the programming guide.

The dish remote has too many buttons!

I have experienced both and far prefer E*. Online scheduling should be available whenever DishOnline gets fully activated. There is nothing about Tivo that I prefer over E*. I, for one, would really hate if there is a settlement between E* and Tivo that forces the Tivo interface/software on us.:(

Not Tivo features, but 4 things I would like to see:

1. More user favorites lists (four aren't enough).
2. Longer Favorites List Names.
3. Folders in the EHD.
4. Ability to name the folders (both in the EHD and on the main HD).

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind.

Brad

I've never used TIVO. But here are a few things I would like to see. I realize these are nit-picky things that most may not care about.

1) Sat/Transponder info on the info screen (when hitting info on a TV show).
2) Designate a button or two on the remote that can be user-programmed for any menu command as a single-button command. For example, I would like to have a button to turn CC on and off, rather than swimming through the menu. But someone else might want to use that button to go directly to the DishPass screen or something.
3) When browsing on the bottom of the screen (pressing right arrow on remote), make the current show a different font, color, or otherwise highlighted/different from the upcoming shows. Sometimes I will browse a current channel and see what's coming up in a couple hours. Then I might arrow up/down to another channel, but it will still be two hours ahead. This is fine, but sometimes I'll see a show that I'll want to switch to (leave what I am currently watching) and click on it, but it will come up with the DVR screen because it isn't until 2 hrs from now (which isn't what I wanted to do). I realize this inconvenience is self-made and due to me not paying close attention. But the idea is that a visual difference between the current show vs. upcoming shows might help me avoid my ADD-induced shortcomings.
4) Having the option to delete an entire folder and it's contents all at once. For example, if I want to delete all the Desperate Housewives episodes which are in the Desperate Housewives folder, I currently have to open the DHW folder and delete them individually. Pain in the ass.
5) Different color schemes/themes/skins for the menu/guide/etc.
6) Bluetooth sensor to put in my couch so when I get up, the TV pauses automatically.

Ideas from others that I agree with...
- House-wide/ipod/PC distribution of recorded DVR/external HD shows goes without saying.
- Being able to see guide info for the previous few hours or day would be nice, although I can't give a good reason why.
- Online DVR scheduling
- TV1 and TV2 HD outputs
- Remote finder

Yes, you can browse the recordings on other tivos and copy them to your tivo. You can start watching the recording right away, usually streams a bit faster than playback so you usually have enough buffer to skip ads.

You mean for HD content too? What kind of connections? CAT5E, CAT6E? Coax?

I'd like multiple boxes to cooperate better.

1) I want to be able to watch shows from any DVR in the house on any other over the house network. (Homeplug should work for this.)
2) When a timer conflict occurs, I want the DVR to ask another DVR in the house to record the about-to-be-skipped event rather than simply skipping the recording.

They can improve the 622/722 without having to copy from TiVo:

- As many have mentioned, buffer both tuners all the time.

- SWAP button should keep paused position when recording a tuner.

- Mapdown should not create timer events for both channel numbers.

- Dish-HD mapdown should have same "HD only" option as Local-HD channels.

- Search should have "HD Only" option

- Search should allow "info" and "title" search both being selected (as was the case in the 501)

- Programs that are recorded should be logged, and that should be the database for skipping future recording, NOT "already in DVR". This would take care of events moved to External Drive being recorded.

- SKIP button should produce a popup "Just this once or forever" (so if you have already seen that episode, you can choose to have it never record it again).

and the most needed 622/722 feature:

- Add "unstretch" to the Aspect Button

No love for any media-center type functionality?

I'll occasionally hook up my MacBook to the TV/Receiver and use Front Row to show off pictures and movies on the big screen... but, since the 622 is already hooked up, if it could do something similar, I'd choose that simply for the convenience.

Lot's of good suggestions already posted... great call on "unstretch", kstuart! Same with searching based on HD/SD/Both... the Sling features they are planning sound great too.

In my limited TiVo interactions, I can't think of anything I liked on it better than my 622.

If I start watching a show while it is being recorded and then go to a different
show, I would like it to remember where I stopped watching. If the show is
already recorded and I stop it, it will remember where I left off but not if
the show is being recorded at the same time.

- Mapdown should not create timer events for both channel numbers.

This drives me crazy. I have a timer set up to record any program with "Red Wings". If they are on VS, it always sets up two recordings and when they're on NBC, it sets up 3 (including my over-the-air). The box should be smart enough to know that these are the same program and it shouldn't record them all. You can sort of fix this with locks, but it's a pain.

One other item: when searching to create a timer, don't show me programs that are on channels that I don't receive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts