What FTA Reciever should I get?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Christopher Cromwell

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Lexington, KY.
While I am very satisfied overall with my Manhattan R-1933 reciever, it just doesn't seem to quite produce all that clear of a picture on most channels. I keep hoping the 480 and the 720 resolutions would look a little better than that; but I am getting a newer TV pretty soon which might help things. Anyway, I am looking at the Linkbox 8000 Plus pretty closely on HyperMegaSat, that seems to have all the most improved features and a much faster Ali M3606 dual processor than my Manhattan has. But someone said it does not have the 4.2.2 demodulation, is that true? I then read the AZ Box has the 4.2.2 demodulation, if that's true, could someone tell me of a good website I could buy one from? Other than that, I was looking at the Traxis 6100 reciever which has almost everything as the Linkbox with the much improved 3606 processor, but nothing said about the 4.2.2 demodulation thing. Does the AZ Box have the Ali M 3606 processor in it too? Any help would be great, it would be nice to get the best reciever that puts out the best quality picture I can get, even though most channels put out a poor 480 and 720 resolutions. It's not like I can call or email the broadcasters and uplinker's to put out a much higher quality resolution already. :-/ I read on the website that manufactures the CPU that the Ali M 3606 is the top of the line chip that helps put out the clearest picture; so I am trying to go for one of those STB's.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

@Cosmo Blatz, I agree. Of course having an out of date FTA receiver and TV that doesn't display the best only makes it even worse. I wish I could tell these broadcasters and uplinker's to just up their game already.

Linkbox 8000 - someone said it does not have the 4.2.2 demodulation, is that true? I then read the AZ Box has the 4.2.2 demodulation, if that's true
True, no 4.2.2 You may want to investigate the Amiko SE HD for a 4.2.2 solution.
most channels put out a poor 480 and 720 resolutions
Unfortunately, most people use the term "HD" too loosely. Just because it's 16:9 doesn't 'qualify' as HD in my view. Many services in the 'format' use too much compression to be justifiably called "HD". Even the OTA 1080 HD broadcasts are a lot sharper than the so called HD channel (of the same source) on the local cable franchise.

@Titanium, Thanks Brian! I don't know anything about the 3611, is it a dual core fast processor? Since it does 4.2.2 demodulating, I might buy one from your site if you sell them. :)

The 3611 is considerably faster than previous ALI chipsets and it is obvious when in the menus or even changing channels.

Almost any MPEG 2/4 DVR receiver can tune/record 4:2:2 for playback on another device such as a PC or Android running VLC. 4:2:2 is not a modulation type like DVBS or S2. it is encode/decode profile for increased chroma resolution. The mini HD SE supports live streaming to an android device for 4:2:2 viewing. Great solution if you have a dual 1.2 Android on better for viewing and provides an inexpensive way to watch live 4:2:2 channels. .

You might also consider a PCI(e) DVBS/S2 tuner for a second system. Whenever I wanted to watch a 4:2:2 service at home, for years I fired-up the HTPC with DVBS2 card and VLC. Now I am just streaming to an Android media box running VLC.

@Titanium, awesome Brian! :-D I found it on your site and was studying all the features, looks like the one to get! Although when I got to the bottom of the product page, it listed all the specs that seemed out of date; like the 600Mhz processor. Anyway, I will visit your site on the laptop after I get paid and order one. :)

I don't know anything about the 3611, is it a dual core fast processor? Since it does 4.2.2 demodulating,
No ALI processor supports 4.2.2 decoding, including the 3611. However, any STB that supports streaming of the raw transport stream can have another more capable device such as a PC with the proper software codecs installed decode 4.2.2 video in software instead. Keep in mind that your network connection and playback device must be powerful enough to decode 4.2.2 video in real time which is why viewing high bitrate 4.2.2 lag free reliably via streaming can be quite challenging. Also, if one does not already have a playback device powerful enough for this task, purchasing one in addition to the STB would end up being more expensive than purchasing an STB which supports 4.2.2 natively which is a much better solution for viewing these types of feeds.

At this time, the AzBox miniMe American Edition is the only FTA STB receiver currently in the market which has native hardware support for live 4.2.2 playback from the unit itself. The receiver also supports streaming so you may also stream 4.2.2 video to your PC or tablet as well if you wish.

I then read the AZ Box has the 4.2.2 demodulation, if that's true, could someone tell me of a good website I could buy one from?
A current listing of our authorised U.S. dealers can be found at http://dealers.azbox.us and our Canadian dealers at http://dealers.azbox.ca

Last edited:
To avoid confusion from the original poster, I had used the same "demoduation" term that was used by him. However I have just edited my post in order to use the proper term instead.

Reactions: Titanium
Good info Brian, sorry I used bad words before. Lol. :-D I got the 4.2.2 demodulating term from another website that was selling the STB'S I was interested in, and got confused. Anyway, it's not a deal breaker if I don't get the 4.2.2 decoding scheme on a reciever. It would be nice to have, but no real big deal if I don't get it. I DO need and want the latest, newest, fastest FTA Reciever I can get. I am looking for the newest chipset's, software and best CPU so I can get the best performance out of my dish system for as long as I can. There's no real big rush, I'm still looking at some different models. :)

The Amiko A3 is the one I have my eye on right now myself. That's the one I'm planning to get once it's been out a bit and has had time to have any bugs ironed out of it. It's a little pricy, but it has a lot of options. Should be fast too!

http://www.titaniumsatellite.com/products#!/STB-A3-Amiko-DVBS-S2-Android/p/36205290/category=6743545

As for the MicroHD, it's a nice receiver. Mine has been very reliable and it has a great picture compared to my other receivers. The only thing I don't much care for is recording with it, I have had issues there. Other than recording, it's been a great receiver for me.

@A Raine, Thanks A Raine! I was just looking at the A3 as well. That looks like the newest one out there at the moment. I was hoping I wasn't the only one getting a less than desireable picture quality out of my reciever. From what I am getting from others is the Amiko puts out a half decent picture on the 480 and 780 resolutions, which is probably alot better than my Manhattan.

The Geosat Pro MicroHD has the best picture quality I've seen. But it doesn't display 4:2:2. The Ali chipset cannot display 4:2:2. It can record it though.

I have a Geosat Pro MicroHD, but am thinking about replacing it. What channels am I missing out on by not having 4:2:2 ??????

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)