What happend to Dish Dolby Digital

Well this was the response from DISH:
"Thank you for your email. I apologize that those channels do not advise if they are DD or not. Not all movies on those channels are going to be in DD due to being unconverted. All true HD programming is in DD."

My Onkyo TX-SR805 indicates the audio signal received. I always see either Dolby Digital-5.1 or Dolby Digital-2.0. I notice this because the audio signal changes frequently between commercials. You get a DD-2.0 commercial, and then a DD-5.1 commercial. Unfortunately, the SR805 needs to sync-up with each audio format and there is a muted pause for 1 second or so when this 'changing' occurs.

I am finding this a lot with CBS. In fact, I am getting the David Letterman show in DD-2.0, which surprises me alot. Jay Leno on the other hand, is DD-5.1. Watching the Discovery Channel (HD) yesterday seemed like everything was transmitted in DD-5.1 (no sync-up outages).

Well, watching Universal HD it says Dolby D on my Pioneer but the shows are only coming out on the front 2 speakers. Specifically I was hoping BSG was broadcast in 5.1; it is on the SD sci fi channel.

Sound matters

What difference does it make? You either want to watch it or you don't. It either is or it isn't.

To some of us the picture and sound are equally important. Something's missing when it's not all there? I've got about $10k in amps, preamps and speakers and love the way it sounds when I've got a good 5.1 show going.
I just switched from TW to D and now my rear speakers sound dead two thirds of the time, even though preamp says it's recieving DD. When I had TW 5.1 seemed spot on. Huge disapointment for me. When I signed the contract I just took DD 5.1 for granted, never thought to ask :(

Audio/Video
Preamp – Outlaw 990
Amp - Sherbourn 5/1500A (5 x 200 watt/ch)
Front Speakers – Soliloquy 5.3
Center – Paradigm Reference CC
Rears – Paradigm studio 20’s
Sub – Velodyne DD-10
DVD OPPO 941
Video - Panasonic 50” plasma, Mitsubishi HD1000 720p projector

I seems that E* is only passing through the DD on the HD channels. Cinemax SD never had any movies with DD, but Starz used to. In fact the Straz premier movie on Saturday night always was in DD 5.1 sound. However, it hasn't been in DD for some time now. What's up with that? Saving bandwidth again?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)