What happend to Dish Dolby Digital

rgarcia55556

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 8, 2006
Does Dish no longer broadcast any channels other than Pay Per Views in Dolby Digital 5.1? There used to be 1 Cinemax and 1 HBO broadcasting DD but I have not seen one in a long time. I only see them in Pay Per Views.:confused:

Aren't HDNET, HDNET Movies, Discovery HD Theater, and some other of the HD channels done in 5.1 as well?

They don't show because they aren't in DD. My Pioneer Elite receiver is set to auto receive DD 5.1 or what ever is broadcasting and I have not recieved any movies from Cinemax or HBO in 5.1 in quite some time. The pay per view movies do display DD as well as the DD symbol in the movie title.

They don't show because they aren't in DD. My Pioneer Elite receiver is set to auto receive DD 5.1 or what ever is broadcasting and I have not recieved any movies from Cinemax or HBO in 5.1 in quite some time. The pay per view movies do display DD as well as the DD symbol in the movie title.
I get DD on HBO and Cinemax.

I watch what my reciever says, and most of the available channels with HD have the 5.1 Max does, and hdnet for sure does.

I was just flipping through all the premium channels yesterday looking for DD in the description too. They all say stereo but a few do show up on my receiver as DD. I wish they'd put it back in the description. I'd watch stuff I don't even care for if it was in DD.

That's ridiculous that it just says stereo and that's what I've been going by. It really pisses me off because that means I can't record on my dvr knowing that it is or isn't DD until I actually play it. But thanks to all for letting me know. Like VegasVoomer, I'd also watch stuff if I knew it was it DD. I think I am going to complain to DISH.

Keep in mind that the premiums offering DD on Dish still air many movies, some relatively recent films (early 1990's) that don't have DD to pass along. That is, at the time the premiums had no reason to record a DD track when the transfer was made some years ago. And YES, I have seen the premiums air quite a few old analog video transfers from their vaults rather then paying to have a new digital video transfer or provide for DD. It's the $$. If a studio has re-released a movie on DVD and, therefore, has a new digital video transfer and DD soundtrack, then the premiums get access to it. I have seen quite a few movies on HBO, Showtime, etc. that have no DD to pass along. Then the next movie, according to the surround sound receiver, is indeed in DD.

That's ridiculous that it just says stereo and that's what I've been going by. It really pisses me off because that means I can't record on my dvr knowing that it is or isn't DD until I actually play it. But thanks to all for letting me know. Like VegasVoomer, I'd also watch stuff if I knew it was it DD. I think I am going to complain to DISH.
What difference does it make? You either want to watch it or you don't. It either is or it isn't.

Does Dish no longer broadcast any channels other than Pay Per Views in Dolby Digital 5.1? There used to be 1 Cinemax and 1 HBO broadcasting DD but I have not seen one in a long time. I only see them in Pay Per Views.:confused:

I have a 7.1 home theatre system. I also have Sony's wireless headphones that have D.D. When a show is in DD there is a red light on the headphone base that lights up. I get many programs in DD and it depends on the ch. & what movie. Did you check all your sound settings? I would ck. the TV, Dish rec., and your amplifier if you have one. to make sure everything is set right. Hope this helps.