What happened to the "Dish Audio" (Muzak) mono-only stations?

I was wrong. I've been out of town and today was the first chance I got to check. I was thinking of channels starting at 951. Now I see since I'm at the top 250 level I get even more music beginning in the 920 range. Works for me.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Found out even more interesting information today about the mono-only Muzak stations. I'm considering getting a subscription for my music studio, so I reached out to the regional sales guy who covers Kansas City, St Louis, and Omaha to ask about it. I can qualify because I'm a sole proprietor with a tax ID.

I found out that Muzak was bought by Mood Media a few years ago. They ditched the Muzak name because of the stigma it had with "elevator music." However, Muzak's original "elevator music" channel, "Environmental," is still alive and well and still broadcast on Dish, but it's not available to residential subs. In fact, the only 2 channels not available to residential subs are FM-1 and Environmental.

Years ago in high school and college, 1994-2000, I was an Assistant Manager for Wendy's in central Ohio and we used FM-1. It was delivered via FM subcarrier to a gray box connected to an FM antenna on the roof. It received two channels: FM-1 and Environmental. I'm very familiar with FM-1 and I think it's a great station.

Mood Media still sells the two same stations on Dish, along with a host of others that we residential subs CAN receive. However, they are transitioning away from satellite and delivering an IP based product which sounds pretty cool.

If I want to subscribe, he said they can use my *existing* eastern arc dish on the roof, put a splitter on it, and install a second, separate receiver that will get the stations residential subs can't get + the ones we do get. Not sure what kind of receiver that is, but it would live next to my Hopper. My guess is it's not really a "splitter" but a second LNB feed. Sounds like Mood Media does these installs, not Dish techs.

The other options are to get a custom box they sell that downloads the songs overnight and stores them on an internal flash drive, or do a completely "box-less" setup that uses a browser with a username and password to access the content.

It was a lot of fun discussing the history of Muzak with the rep. He said Kansas City used to have an FM subcarrier transmitter on top of the KCTV-5 tower south of downtown, but all FMS transmissions have ended.

So, this is probably WAY more information than anybody cares about, but that's the rest of the story, in case anybody was wondering how businesses access those "secret" music channels on Dish that we can't get.

Last edited:
Reactions: fireball517
Mood Music also bought out DMX Music, which also supplies the 84 "Sonic Tap" music channels on D*.

We also had both Muzak stations on our local FM country station 104.5 via SCA; Environmental was on 67khz & FM1 was on 92khz. I actually had 3 different SCA receivers that could receive these stations; the last one I had was a modified GE Superadio, that had an SCA circuit added, that you could switch between regular radio & both subcarriers. When I listened to it in my office (way back then!) everyone always asked where I got all that great commercial-free music. :D

81FCKERJCXL._SX355_.jpg

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Bobby must be correct that they are hidden in the guide for me. Just strange because I can see other channels that I'm not currently subscribed to
It has always been some channels are hidden some are not. (Not subscribed to) I don't see a couple of channels now that I did when I subscribed to top250. Till it was recently added to top200 I did not see Natgeow. This is on a VIP...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)