What happened to the virtual remote?

SoonerSteve

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
San Antonio, TX
Unlike others who have had issues with the 922 I have been really pleased. The guides and menus work great and, although there have been a few bumps, I have had success with Sling. I am currently away from from home for an extended period of time and have relied on the 922 and its sling features to stay on top of my recordings.

About a week ago, when I connected via IE, there was an update to the sling player. I updated (like I had a choice) and was very surprised with the picture quality, but dismayed that the virtual remote is gone. I relied on that heavily to navigate the menus and watch recorded programming. I see they have added controls to the bottom of the remote viewing screen, but they don't have the DVR button!

Sometimes when I access my program list and choose to "watch on web" the program will start and then freeze. After I exit and reconnect the show will no longer start! I am essentially locked out of the DVR list and without the virtual remote to access the box I am stuck. I have had to revert back to the old Sling App that still works with the 922 to watch my programming. The PQ is lousy.

Am I missing something? Why would they remove such a vital method of controlling the system? If you Sat Guys have any suggestions I am all ears.

I have been having issues with both the Dish remote Access from the Dish Network website and DISHONLINE. It works then kicks me off and then when I try and log in, both sites show 'no video signal'.....it was working up until that vitural remote disappeared.

Like to add to the frustration above, The iphone app seems to be working better, now designed to bring up the on screen menus just like using at home.

The PC interface (IE or Firefox) now seems completely broke. Almost any use of the menu keys below the screen seems to break the sling connection.

BRING BACK THE VIRTUAL REMOTE!

After paying $132 dollars and hooking up my Sling Adapter and Netgear Wireless Extender to my 722, I went to Dish Remote Access after logging in. Then, for a split second, I saw the "Virtual Remote Control" appear, then dissapear immediately. I was using my HP Laptop with Vista 64 using Internet Explorer 8. I could see the Grid and my DVR recordings, however if I started to view a DVR recording or "Watch Live TV", my mouse curser would change from an arrow to a + sign, and would no longer function or control anything. After talking with Tech Support. for a long-ass time, they had absolutely no clue how to help me (or find a relavent page in their reference manual) (I want one of those manuals)and kept transferring me to "Supervisors", multiple times, until they succeded in disconnected me. Trying to solve this myself, I then un-installed and re-installed the Active -X Sling software, but still no joy.

I then figured maybe it was a Vista problem using the Sling software.....nope.... Then I "guessed" maybe it was a conflict with Internet Explorer 8. So, I tried accessing DRA from "Safari" = No joy at all, Then I tried "FireFox".......and.......-----------IT WORKS !!!!!

So, If y'all have similar problems, I would definately recommend that you download Firefox and use it for the DMA.

I have been trying Firefox, but my system locks up completely when attempting to install the latest updates to the Sling Plugin. Once I finally did get it to install I keep getting the error : "Our systems are being updated (7). Please try again in a few minutes." I get that error through both IE and Firefox. I am on IE 8 and Firefox 3.6.13.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts