What happens after MPEG-4 switch?

Jimmy J

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Wallingford, VT.
Sorry wasn't sure to post this question...

I'm a DHA Top 180 with HD pak sub'r. I have an 811, 301 & 322. With the switch to MPEG-4, what happens to these recievers. Do they become obsolete? And will dish provide replacements? Or will it be a matter of software upgrades?

You got about a year or two to worry about that, even Dish Network has no idea how the MPEG4 upgrade is going to work.

There is nothing solid about upgrading to MPEG4 except for the fact they want to upgrade to MPEG4.

Thanx Scott. I love this site. The knowlege that is given out here is truly remarkable. So need to worry eh? My thinking is, when and if they do make the switch, my equip. becomes obsolete, then they'll replace it though, right? Since it's all leased.

H.264 (mpeg-4 avc) chipsets are in sampling already:

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=54800092

Echostar will be using H.264, as mentioned in the article. I believe the satellites are just dumb transceivers, so get those chipsets into products and upgrade the ground uplinks and it's a go. HD will be first to use mpeg4, and the first to drop mpeg2. The 811 will then be obsolete and it can't happen too soon - and let's hope that Dish learned some lessons and will get the mpeg4 IRD's right.

Jimmy J said:
Keith, so if I'm a leasee of their equip, and it no longer works they'll have to come up with some sort of replacements, yes?

I guess that's how it will have to work if you have a HD subscription. It's a year or two or three or four away and plans made today are likely to change. We all have to wait and see.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)