What happens Apr 18--autopsy, funeral, or burial?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
KEX..I think you hit an ALMOST bullseye!! I am surprised no one had mentioned the Ed Horawitz move and the attempt by John Malone...those are significant and interesting moves/changes. I for one think ALOT more will come out of this April 18th meeting than just VOOM21 and/or AMC-6...I just cannot believe that Mr. Dolan will just leave his pet project(will not call it VOOM anymore because it is officially dead in my eyes.....what could it be called?) dead in the water....especially after fighting with his own family, spending millions, put his reputation on the line and possibly be sued by CVC....doesn't fly with me...

I'm putting my 2 cents out there. The Voom 21 wasn't even that good. You have 2 or 3 channels of any real value. The real appeal of Voom to me is that they have the other channels that nobody else has. The StarzHD, Cinemax, ect.. It's that kind of programming that set them apart. It's the channels that are available to the other carriers like DTV and Dish but they chose not to carry them. That choice is what makes them an inferior company to Voom. It's not being able to see the value in having those options for their customers. Sure DTV is boosting now that they are launching two sats and will have blah, blah, blah X amount of HD content. Well you know what I want it now!!!!! I don't want to have to spend $300 for a box to get YOUR HD content and I sure as *%$#@ don't want to spend another $1000 to be able to record it!! I don't want to spend $10 on DTV, Dish, and Charter just to get 4 or 5 channels. It's about time they get with the market and make something happen. I bought, and many others have bought HD TV's for a reason. Deliver the goods already!! I'm sorry to see a true pioneer company go by the way side only to become some channels you can order via another content provider :mad:

Remmy....that's beauty of my thought..immediate bandwidth for people like us who love our other providers, but want those extra movie channels in HD..say I have D* they can over me the HD package with the Voom receiver that points to AMC-6 and has the voom originals and all of the other movie channels in HD for the upgrade to Mucho HD for 25.99 a month and the new voom content carrier gets the amount above the old D* HD package cost...plus billing becomes integrated with your other provider..so no big expenses for Rainbow, except create better content and sign up more HD service...kinda like it was when D* was two companies..you got movie channels from USSB.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect anything positive for HD customers to come from the April 18 meeting. I certainly don't expect D* or E* to have any interest in the Voom originals, if they were interested in adding more HD anytime soon they would aleady have added more premium channels.

Face it, the amount of HD content will continue to be dumbed down for the foreseeable future. Half of all people who buy HDTVs don't even realize they're not watching HDTV when they're watching SD. Mediocrity is all it takes to placate the sheeplike masses, and that probably won't change anytime soon.

ChrisDuncan said:
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect anything positive for HD customers to come from the April 18 meeting. I certainly don't expect D* or E* to have any interest in the Voom originals, if they were interested in adding more HD anytime soon they would aleady have added more premium channels.

Face it, the amount of HD content will continue to be dumbed down for the foreseeable future. Half of all people who buy HDTVs don't even realize they're not watching HDTV when they're watching SD. Mediocrity is all it takes to placate the sheeplike masses, and that probably won't change anytime soon.

This is sad, but true, but I don't believe the majority of people, if really given the chance, would turn down the VOOM 21--in some form, as long as the HD PQ were great. The content is unique and above all else on either C-band, cable or Little Dishes.

I think this is more than a VOOm issue as far as The Mass Mediocrity situation--that's the sad part--if people really would choose mediocrity, when they have a choice for better, the question is "why"?

If I had known about VOOM's quality--I would have subscribed years before--but I also did not want to pay for the receiver. I had no outlet where I could watch the Large Scrren HD PQ for VOOM. Sears is really the culprit here--but they should have gone for Walmart or Sam's Club.

Dish or Direct Customers were probably lulled into a sense of false security--hypnotized (or was it subliminal seduction--which is easy with a blurry picture--once you sharpen the picture--that gives away the subliminals embedded!) by the quantity of channels (addictive channel surfing--much akin to addiction to internet surfing just for the sake of surfing--with no intended goal of edification or education in mind). I.E., the little Dishes became a "habit", a drug of sorts on the masses to keep them "dumbed"down.

With what they have to spend, they felt like the "had" to watch "all" the channels most of the time to get their "money's worth".

With VOOM, I felt like I had a choice. Now that choice is gone.

AGain, just like Terri Schiavo--her death took a lot of choices with her--for us, especially--so, the plug is pulled on VOOM and now it will just get worse, I am afraid, not better. No competition or incentive anymore for the D's to do anything to provide choice and quality, both of content and PQ.

I would like to remain optimistic. One last hold-out is the 300,000+ subscribers (probably equivalent of 1 million viewers if you multiply the household members and neighbors viewing at one subscription address) of C-band, but Motorola has deserted the 4dtv customers --no upgrades or fixes, and also none for the HD add on receiver, which are going on EBAY for probably $200, but there are no more channels to watch than on the Little Dishes.

Can we find another billionaire to replace Charlie and try to resurrect this Phoenix from the ashes? What about Warren Buffet?

I think you are wrong about "Half of all people who buy HDTVs don't even realize they're not watching HDTV when they're watching SD"
I believe that most people spending (still) thousands of dollars on a new TV are at least aware of the new TVs capabilities. Even if they are not totally in tune with where to go for the most HD programing immediately, once they have watched HD for a while I think they want more and more.

I for one know that Id stopped watching much TV. And when it was on I was usually doing something else and what was on TV (for the most part) was secondary or background. However, with my new HDTV, I was drawn in to the picture... it was so much bigger, clearer, brighter, more 3-dimensional, etc.

What fascinated me about the VOOM 21 was the content on most of the channels was so different from what I'd watched before... and it was definitely made for HDTV!! My favorites were Rave, Equator, Museum, Rush (and there seemed like such variety that there were favorites for most everyone). These made for HD programs made my TV and surround sound system look and sound incredible... just as I'd hoped it would. For the first time in years I actually sat down for an evening of "watching TV". I can only think that VOOM would have become better and better as time went by with VOOM 21 becoming VOOM 31 or whatever (I'd have liked a dedicated travel channel and a dedicated Sci-Fi channel for 2 of them).

I was one of the first of my circle of friends to have HDTV... and the only one with VOOM. But, once my friends saw what quantity & quality that was available to me, I know there would have been converts (I was surprised by how many remembered that short ad that had the VOOM logo popping up as flowers through the grass...Great...Unforgettable). This same scenario would have just escalated with more time and if VOOM had been treated differently in so many ways.

bobaphx said:
... I for one know that Id stopped watching much TV.... What fascinated me about the VOOM 21 was the content on most of the channels was so different from what I'd watched before... and it was definitely made for HDTV!! My favorites were Rave, Equator, Museum, Rush ... For the first time in years I actually sat down for an evening of "watching TV"....

Exactly my experience. Voom 21 has content that you can't get anywhere else. It is TV worth watching. Even if not everything was for everyone, there was enough of a variety to please most.

I can't see myself going back to E* or D* without something like the Voom 21 package. I have Netflix, maybe will add Greencine.com, and stick with OTA if I really feel like TV.

If Dolan Sr. comes up with something else, I'll jump on that.

salsadancer7 said:
..I just cannot believe that Mr. Dolan will just leave his pet project(will not call it VOOM anymore because it is officially dead in my eyes.....what could it be called?) dead in the water....especially after fighting with his own family, spending millions, put his reputation on the line and possibly be sued by CVC....doesn't fly with me...
I can believe it. In my opinion:

1. Fighting with family - overblown. It's not personal, it's business.
2. Spending millions - chump change for Dolan.
3. Reputation - he's got other laurels to rest on.
4. Sued by CVC - that's why the board vote was unanimous. Dolan will quietly drop the FCC challenge, and CVC will pick up VOOM expenses until April 30th.

It is amazing to me when someone says that spending AT LEAST 10 million dollars is chump changing...YOU ask ANYONE that HAS money...regardless if they are worth billions...10 millions bucks is a TON of dough!!! And the feud with the family being over blown...and "not personal just business..." ...ya gotta stop watching Godfather flicks..that's ONLY in the movies.....!
Now MDonnelly, I will agree with you with the other points...but your 1st 2....not your money and not your family so it is easy to make judgements....

Jamey K said:
I think it will be a non-event.

(Blatant thread hijack ahead)

But it's my birthday on the 18th and since the world will *obviously* revolve around _me_ that day (and- I guess- all those other people who have the same birthday) I think that as a present to me and my fellow Voom subscribers (since I'm willing to share and all) they will manage to pull off some miraculous turnaround.

:D

deeann said:

But it's my birthday on the 18th and since the world will *obviously* revolve around _me_ that day (and- I guess- all those other people who have the same birthday) I think that as a present to me and my fellow Voom subscribers (since I'm willing to share and all) they will manage to pull off some miraculous turnaround.

Deeann,
When you are blowing out the candles on your birthday cake, be sure and close your eyes and make a BIG wish for more HD. All of us Voomers here would appreciate any help we can get! :yes

justalurker said:
I believe people will be more concerned with the color of the smoke at the Vatican than signals coming out of Cablevision on that day.

JL

I believe you are right.

deeann said:

Well then! Deeann I promise you two things: 1. I will tip one your way for the best birthday wishes and 2. if there is some miraculous turnaround, the amount of alcohol I will throw back will be absolulety staggering in all senses of the word.

The WSJ is reporting today that CVC is going to try and market the 21 channels, they are trying to use their bid for Adelphia as leverage to try and get TimeWarner to take the Voom 21 package. "To salvage some of their losses",the WSJ said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts