What happens February 17th

nebguy94

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Assuming Congress doesn't block the digital TV transition, what will happen with the locals I receive via Dish? I know, I'll still be able to receive them, but what I mean is this:

I have a Dish HD tuner connected to my HDTV. Currently I receive Dish's HD package, I get standard def locals via the satellite and HD locals OTA via a terrestrial antenna.

Dish does offer my locals in HD via the satellite, but I need a wing dish to pick those up from the 61 location. Obviously the SD locals are via spotbeams from one of the two locations my single dish install can receive.

So... come February 17th, when the local broadcasters are no longer transmitting two signals, one digital high-def the other analog standard def, but are transmitting one digital high def signal, what will happen to the locals I'm pulling off the satellite? Will they be down-converted or will the HD's that are off on 61 be simulcast or moved to the spotbeam I'm currently receiving?

Or, more to the point, I'd like to receive my local HD's via the satellite as well as OTA, so I have more options for DVR'ing network HD instead of being limited to one OTA HD tuner. Will the need for the second dish to get my locals go away when the transition takes place?

Anyone know? Has this been discussed and my searches are just missing it?

Thanks.

the "SD" channels will probably be downconverted or zoomed for those with SD only channels..some markets have a SD counterpart right now (in Minneapolis My, CW, Fox & PBS right now have SD counterparts on subchannels)

remember...digital does not mean HD

You will still get your reg locals from dish.

Most if not all the Dish LIL have already been switched to a digital feed. It involves a lot of work so they cannot do it all on the switch over date.

remember...digital does not mean HD

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. I'm also fully aware that all DTV set-top converters are capable of receiving all 18 ATSC formats and converting them for analog use. So the broadcasters are not required to maintain a SD sub-channel for analog converters to use, the analog converter can down convert and letter box it or zoom it for the analog set...

But I think someone else hit on the answer further down... Dish isn't converting the content to be formatted for an analog 4:3 at the end-user point, they're formatting it before the uplink and they're already doing it that way... so yeah, they're probably not going to switch out the SD locals for the HD locals on the wing... I'll need the wing after the transition...

Yeah, I'm fully aware of that. I'm also fully aware that all DTV set-top converters are capable of receiving all 18 ATSC formats and converting them for analog use. So the broadcasters are not required to maintain a SD sub-channel for analog converters to use, the analog converter can down convert and letter box it or zoom it for the analog set...

But I think someone else hit on the answer further down... Dish isn't converting the content to be formatted for an analog 4:3 at the end-user point, they're formatting it before the uplink and they're already doing it that way... so yeah, they're probably not going to switch out the SD locals for the HD locals on the wing... I'll need the wing after the transition...
Only way you would need the Wing Dish is if you want the HD versions. The SD Version that you are currently getting is most likely already your local stations' Digital Feed.

For instance, in West Michigan, Dish changed from the Analog Antenna to the Digital Antenna back in July or August. HD is available on 61.5 (which we do not get) but the SD are available on 110 or 119. We get the SD versions via Sat, and when the local stations run their tests, it shows that all of our TVs are set (unless they screw up the test which has happened 1 time).

Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)