what happens if you have coax and component hooked up?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

elite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 21, 2004
I was at my friends fixing his reciever. On my way home I though back to the TV connection and there was both component and coax going to the TV from the direct tv reciever. Now hes got the total HS setup with dish and reciever so I know hes got the hardware as well as a 51 sony HDTV. I didnt think the pic was being displayed, I have a feeling its something to do with this....

does hdtv get passed over coax, and if they are both hooked up, what happens....I need to check it out again...but im 99% sure this is what I remembered seeing thinking back...

any help would be great...thx

The coax should not be hooked up, just component.

If the receiver has DVI and the TV does, and I think that Sony does, then you should hook it up that way.

For 5.1 DD Surround he needs to have an optical cable going from his receiver to his A/V receiver.

got a toslink, optical hooked up for audio, the 5.1 is working perfectly. Im not sure the sat box has dvi, ill check but id need a cable. Im really wondering thought the result......if hooked up the way it is..

thx

The component will do fine for HD, but unhook the coax. It isn't needed.

DVI would give the best quality picture.

What model HD receiver is it?

elite said:
does hdtv get passed over coax, and if they are both hooked up, what happens....I need to check it out again...but im 99% sure this is what I remembered seeing thinking back...

No HD through coax, unless the TV has an HD tuner. Leave the coax hooked up in case he needs to watch just the TV without the home theater sound. In most TV's, the auto clock feature requires a PBS channel to come through the TV's tuner to be set so the coax will be needed. ;)

Auto clock set only works for OTA or cable. It won't work over Satellite.

Neutron said:
Auto clock set only works for OTA or cable. It won't work over Satellite.

:eek: Apologies. True, only OTA signal carries the auto clock signal (VBI) but nevertheless, leave coax hooked up in case you don't want your sub to wake up your wife during those late night DD movies :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts