What happens to local SD stations on E in Feb.?

Russell Jorgensen

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2006
Wisconsin
I live in an area where "E" supplies all our locals in SD and ABC, NBC and FOX in HD. We do not get a HD feed for CBS here. In Feb. when all local stations go digital will we get all stations including CBS in HD or will there be no CBS for us at all (SD or HD)?

I live in an area where "E" supplies all our locals in SD and ABC, NBC and FOX in HD. We do not get a HD feed for CBS here. In Feb. when all local stations go digital will we get all stations including CBS in HD or will there be no CBS for us at all (SD or HD)?
You've been receiving them digital all along.

I guess that I didn't ask the question right. Our CBS station will not let "E" carry the digital version of their station. Only the analog ("E" converts it to digital the same as they do all analog stations). So the question is that when there is no analog version of CBS being sent to "E" from our local CBS station and they will not let "E" transmit their digital signal (if they did then we would have our local CBS in HD and we don't) Will we lose CBS altogether until "E" reaches an agreement with them to carry their HD (digital) signal? I know that there are many other cities that "E" lists as having HD locals but they don't always have all of them.

Dish will go to the POP where the receive the analog stations for your area and will install DTVPal boxes to convert the digital signals to analog. You will continue to receive the signals just as you do now.

(Ok they might not use DTVPal boxes but it wouldn't surprise me if they did) :)

The reason why you don't have CBS HD is between Dish and your local station. There must be a retransmission concent for the sd cbs and that will not be effected as the station must supply the signal digitally once the analog is shut off. They may already be sending it to Dish that way already. To answer your original question: Nothing will change.

How in Remote Areas?

You'll be able to get them OTA just as you can right now.

If you live in a location where the "local" stations cannot be received OTA now because of terrain, then how will we get them OTA later?

I know the Bible says faith the size of a mustard seed can move mountains, but I think this may a bit over optimistic!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)