What happens to my 721 and 301?

fire_317

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I have been thinking about getting a HD package and currently I have the 721 and 301 receivers. I see dish offers the Dish'n it up upgrades. If I do that, does dish require me to send in my 721 and 301 receivers even though I own those?

Would it be better for me to purchase my own 722 (can this be done? I remember they didn't activate my 522 when I purchased that...I had to threaten to leave as a customer and notified the BBB in Englewood and they finally did activate it)? I don't like the $7 lease/rental fee, but can't really afford to put out over $350 for a new receiver times 2 to replace both of my current receivers.

Sending them in depends upon the deal/plan you select. I expect you'll be sending them back, and getting a leased unit in place.

There is little to no reason to buy rather than lease. If you don't pay the lease fee, you'll pay some other fee. Your monthly bill does not go down if you own. Leasing makes more sense, IMO.

I recommend you wait until after 8/1 before doing anything. There may be new deals coming, regarding the 721.

Upgrades

When I upgraded, I had the option to send in and receive a small credit or keep the receivers I owned. I was able to sell them for more than Dish was offering - something like $15 - 20/ unit so I did not turn them in to Dish.

Sending them in depends upon the deal/plan you select. I expect you'll be sending them back, and getting a leased unit in place.

There is little to no reason to buy rather than lease. If you don't pay the lease fee, you'll pay some other fee. Your monthly bill does not go down if you own. Leasing makes more sense, IMO.

I recommend you wait until after 8/1 before doing anything. There may be new deals coming, regarding the 721.

Do you have any particulars regarding 721 plans? I have 721 that is dying and I'm interested.

Well dish replaced my 721s (they said I had to replace both even though I was having zero issues with the other one) with 522s. They said the DVR fee would be waived....

I'm holdin my breath until I see the bill.

Well dish replaced my 721s (they said I had to replace both even though I was having zero issues with the other one) with 522s. They said the DVR fee would be waived....

I'm holdin my breath until I see the bill.
Was the replacement 522 considered owned or leased?

Well, there's another thread on this, and it seems your 522s are leased. Looks like all the 721s are going away Real Soon Now.

Do you have any particulars regarding 721 plans? I have 721 that is dying and I'm interested.

I have my new HD equipment and my 721 is sitting on my work bench collecting dust. I am considering placing it on ebay. It is 3 years old, no balance due on account and works like a charm. NEVER had any problems that I have read about on these forums. If you are interested in purchasing it from me...PM me and make me an offer I can't refuse!

Thanks
Dan

Probably too late now. Per the other thread, they are only swapping out active 721s and are not activating any more. I can't imagine the HDD inside being worth much.

Probably too late now. Per the other thread, they are only swapping out active 721s and are not activating any more. I can't imagine the HDD inside being worth much.

yea...i found the other thread after i posted this. I think I'll pull the HD and get an external enclosure and use it as a storage device.

I have my new HD equipment and my 721 is sitting on my work bench collecting dust. I am considering placing it on ebay. It is 3 years old, no balance due on account and works like a charm. NEVER had any problems that I have read about on these forums. If you are interested in purchasing it from me...PM me and make me an offer I can't refuse!

Thanks
Dan

Even though 721s are still working (for a very short while), they will no longer activate any more.... so once it is off your account, you have a 40 pound doorstop with a hard drive.

Actually, the timing may be good for me. I can't get the weather channel 214 half the time on my 721, when it's coming in fine on the ViP722 & 508. Might be a new failure mode. And no, it's not raining.

Recording off maybe 40 or so hours out of the approx 60 I have on the 721. Hope to finish before the ViP722 arrives or it fails completely.

I thought about using the HDD externally, but since these things have a bad history of HDD failures, I decided not to take the chance. $10 is $10.

Actually, the timing may be good for me. I can't get the weather channel 214 half the time on my 721, when it's coming in fine on the ViP722 & 508. Might be a new failure mode. And no, it's not raining.

You have LNB drift. 721 software does not adjust for it. The 722 and 508 do.

Thank you. I suppose eventually it will fall out of spec and fail completely. Hope it won't take Dish long to replace it then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)