What happens to those dishes?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rvvaquero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
SE Texas
I live in an RV, move around to different RV parks. A few weeks ago I got a new neighbor. They moved in, set up, and the next day a Dish Network truck shows up and sets up a 1000.2 dish on a flat stand with some concrete blocks holding it down. I've seen this before where the Dish customer pays a monthly service fee and Dish comes to wherever they move to and sets them up with a satellite dish.

Okay, so the new neighbor gets in a dispute with the RV park owner and moves out after a week, leaving the new dish and stand behind. It's been two weeks since neighbor left. Dish and stand still there. Are these abandoned? Should they have taken the equipment with them? What's the deal? RV park owner says he's had to throw them in the dumpster many times after people move out.

We've all seen satellite dishes on vacant houses and assume that the owners just got a new one installed to wherever they moved to. Is that the same case with someone as mobile as in an RV?

Thanks.

Generally when a customer moves Dish has them leave the antenna on the house and Dish will install a new one at their new location. Part of the plan is that whoever moves into the old house will see the dish antenna and decide to call Dish and get it hooked back up for them.

Most of the RV dishes I've seen are on tripods. That installer must have quite a load of cinderblocks in his van to do 'em all like that! :eek:

Old Dish

Years ago I used Dish move (stick house is in Michigan) and had one installed on a tripod at our rv park in Florida. When the winter season was over, I just packed it up and took it with me. Still use it to this day. This was about 6 years ago.

Most of the RV dishes I've seen are on tripods. That installer must have quite a load of cinderblocks in his van to do 'em all like that! :eek:

Yup. Tripods are not approved mounts for installers. We carry 9 cap blocks for nonpenns and patio mounts. But reload every night back at the shop when using them.

Yup. Tripods are not approved mounts for installers. We carry 9 cap blocks for nonpenns and patio mounts. But reload every night back at the shop when using them.

So, when the customer goes to another location, do you go back and pick up the equipment? Or, do you just expect that they take it with them?

So, when the customer goes to another location, do you go back and pick up the equipment? Or, do you just expect that they take it with them?

I've never picked it up myself. I couldn't tell you what actual business rules are for customers that relocate often. Sometimes I show up and they have an existing dish they have brought with them, but usually its all new equipment being installed.

I believe it is CHEAPER not to have to go and unmount and disassemble an old reflector and LNBF, switch, etc., and then go to the new place and reassemble and re-mount. My belief has always been that the reflector is incredibly cheap for Dish. Further, even the relatively expensive for RETAIL LNBF's and switches are also FAR MORE Cheaper for Dish than we might think. In the past, with upgrades, the installer would take the equipment with them in their vans. I asked what they did with them and they said they just threw them out with the trash. They didn't want to leave them as a mess for the customer. I'm talking a complete upgrade of reflector, LNBF's and "expensive" switches. No, they said they do not re-use the switches--that is Dish Corp. installers did not re-use them; independent retailers probably do.

Now, get this: with my last upgrade to Hopper just last November, it was another COMPLETE hardware upgrade with NEW reflector and NEW LNBF's and replacing my TWO DPP44 switches. He took all that equipment and put them in MY garbage bin! I can't remember if he put the reflector, as well, but I have every confidence they never re-use those. So, this last upgrade further confirmed my belief that they just throw them out. However, an independent retailer may re-use some of the switches to save themselves some money.

I believe Dish throws out used reflectors, LNBF's, and switches partly because it is cheap enough for them to do so, certainly avoiding the additional cost of taking down reflectors, etc, and switches for a Dish Mover: cheaper just to install new stuff at the new home.

The other reason is, IMHO, is that Dish doesn't want to gamble with the customer experience: in other words, if Dish were to re-use the old LNBF's, and switches (and I mean if they no longer need that switch for that install such as in my case of replacing and throwing out TWO DPP44's with Hopper Nodes, etc.), that old equipment could malfunction or die a lot sooner than if they just used all NEW equipment for all Dish Movers and installs (again, leaving in place equipment that can still be used, but if they take it out, they do NOT use it again), and this provides for a greater chance of POSITIVE customer experience AND LOWER COST to Dish because they don't have to send a tech out AGAIN, to replace old re-used parts and only get $15 of the cost covered or even the $99 tech visit fee is NOT cover additional labor and new parts cost to replace re-used equipment. Who knows how much longer the re-used equipment will last? After years of being weather-beaten under the sun, etc., they could last years, or months, or days. To a big company like Dish, it is too expensive and too big a risk, so they just replace everything with NEW equipment, if necessary.

Now, the STB is a different matter, and can be re-used to high efficiency, and the STB's are more expensive than the really cheap stuff that make up the rest of the system. Keep in mind, Dish is a really big buyer, so Dish's cost on what are expensive retail items are gonna be so low that it does make economic sense, especially when factoring in the "hidden" costs to re-using all equipment except for the STB's.

BTW, I went back and retrieved both of my DPP44's that the installer threw out into my garbage bin. Everything else was left in the garbage as I did not see any value in them. Although I should have taken the reflector because I've had situations where a few people just needed a reflector (the mount is cheap to buy on Amazon at retail) to get started on Dish without a contract or other high cost (the LNBF's can also be had retail) because it is the reflector and assembly that is truly over priced at retail sites. In fact, it is the retail price of the reflector and assembly that blows out any savings with a DIY for those who do not want to commit to 2 years. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Actually (in the case of an upgrade or service call) in house techs take stuff like the LNBF, switches, and nodes back to the warehouse. It then gets shipped to Dish and refurbished. Dish pans/skew plates get recycled. At least that is how it is supposed to be done in my area.

They don't go out after people move and get the stuff though, only if they are already there.

Last edited:
I believe it is CHEAPER not to have to go and unmount and disassemble an old reflector and LNBF, switch, etc., and then go to the new place and reassemble and re-mount. My belief has always been that the reflector is incredibly cheap for Dish. Further, even the relatively expensive for RETAIL LNBF's and switches are also FAR MORE Cheaper for Dish than we might think. In the past, with upgrades, the installer would take the equipment with them in their vans. I asked what they did with them and they said they just threw them out with the trash. They didn't want to leave them as a mess for the customer. I'm talking a complete upgrade of reflector, LNBF's and "expensive" switches. No, they said they do not re-use the switches--that is Dish Corp. installers did not re-use them; independent retailers probably do.

Now, get this: with my last upgrade to Hopper just last November, it was another COMPLETE hardware upgrade with NEW reflector and NEW LNBF's and replacing my TWO DPP44 switches. He took all that equipment and put them in MY garbage bin! I can't remember if he put the reflector, as well, but I have every confidence they never re-use those. So, this last upgrade further confirmed my belief that they just throw them out. However, an independent retailer may re-use some of the switches to save themselves some money.

I believe Dish throws out used reflectors, LNBF's, and switches partly because it is cheap enough for them to do so, certainly avoiding the additional cost of taking down reflectors, etc, and switches for a Dish Mover: cheaper just to install new stuff at the new home.

The other reason is, IMHO, is that Dish doesn't want to gamble with the customer experience: in other words, if Dish were to re-use the old LNBF's, and switches (and I mean if they no longer need that switch for that install such as in my case of replacing and throwing out TWO DPP44's with Hopper Nodes, etc.), that old equipment could malfunction or die a lot sooner than if they just used all NEW equipment for all Dish Movers and installs (again, leaving in place equipment that can still be used, but if they take it out, they do NOT use it again), and this provides for a greater chance of POSITIVE customer experience AND LOWER COST to Dish because they don't have to send a tech out AGAIN, to replace old re-used parts and only get $15 of the cost covered or even the $99 tech visit fee is NOT cover additional labor and new parts cost to replace re-used equipment. Who knows how much longer the re-used equipment will last? After years of being weather-beaten under the sun, etc., they could last years, or months, or days. To a big company like Dish, it is too expensive and too big a risk, so they just replace everything with NEW equipment, if necessary.

Now, the STB is a different matter, and can be re-used to high efficiency, and the STB's are more expensive than the really cheap stuff that make up the rest of the system. Keep in mind, Dish is a really big buyer, so Dish's cost on what are expensive retail items are gonna be so low that it does make economic sense, especially when factoring in the "hidden" costs to re-using all equipment except for the STB's.

BTW, I went back and retrieved both of my DPP44's that the installer threw out into my garbage bin. Everything else was left in the garbage as I did not see any value in them. Although I should have taken the reflector because I've had situations where a few people just needed a reflector (the mount is cheap to buy on Amazon at retail) to get started on Dish without a contract or other high cost (the LNBF's can also be had retail) because it is the reflector and assembly that is truly over priced at retail sites. In fact, it is the retail price of the reflector and assembly that blows out any savings with a DIY for those who do not want to commit to 2 years. Oh, well. Live and learn.

Just my two cents.

How detailed of an explanation can you give me if I give you 4 cents?;)

Just my two cents.

The stuff when upgrades that is taken down is supposed to be brought back to the shop, like switches and lnbs to be tested and refurbished and used again if possible, just like recievers.

What I was describing was my experience when it comes to people moving. It is my experience that we do not return to the location someone moves from and uninstall it. Even if the equipment is on a temporary mount. It would be cost prohibitive to set up a deinstall compared to installing new gear off the van.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I went over and took the dish setup for a spare for me. I'm not sure I want that ground platform it was all mounted to. I sure don't need the concrete blocks.

I have a bunch of old 500's faded and worn out but good enough to reuse for a flex account to also cut time some for doing a install that calls for one. The others I can't reuse I stack up then take and get a few $$ from recycling them that includes some direct dishes I remove but that is rare I take them so I don't get burned by the home owner saying I stole their old dish, I will ask and then have them put it in writing. The use of non pens and concrete blocks is just stupid when there are easier alternatives so I don't even bother unless its a business. I'll just carry a few 2 feet long 6x2 boards treated and a few pcs of rebar I cut with a welded nut on the top and each board I pre drill two holes, then drive the rebar into the ground to hold it and just mount to that board. I can tell you right now that those will NOT move unlike you still bumping into a non pen with blocks on it that will. Now I only do this if I know they are not going to move them any time soon or worse case I'm out of non pens to setup a pole mount for later but I'm normally the one going back out to get it so doesn't matter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts